GUILTY MN - Steven Cross for child abandonment, Lakeville, 2011

CMac2

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the correct forum. If not, please move.

Steven Alexander Cross, 60, left two notes for his son, according to the complaint charging him with a gross misdemeanor of child neglect. One letter said their home in Lakeville was going to be sold at a sheriff's sale and instructed the boy to take his PlayStation and go to a neighbor's house. The other asked the neighbors to take care of his son. The boy has been placed in foster care.
"If this paper is wet it's because I am crying so bad. You know your dad loves you more than anything," the letter said. Elsewhere he wrote: "There are many, many great years ahead for you. Not so for me."

and later:

A week after Cross disappeared, a woman identifying herself as his ex-girlfriend called the family that had taken in the boy. She said Cross had emailed her from a library in Carmel, Calif., saying he was depressed and sleeping in the streets, the complaint said.

Much more at link

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44289010/

Wow.. I feel so bad for the little boy, but I also feel badly for the Dad (if all he is going thru is true, of course) Depression and loneliness is a horrible thing. I think he probably knew the neighbor and thought they would be good to the boy.
What a parent with depression doesn't realize is that your child would rather be with YOU and living in a one room apartment than be without you because you can't offer them all the material things the world has to offer.
I hope the Dad is okay and gets the mental health care he needs.....

Wow.. I feel so bad for the little boy, but I also feel badly for the Dad (if all he is going thru is true, of course) Depression and loneliness is a horrible thing. I think he probably knew the neighbor and thought they would be good to the boy.
What a parent with depression doesn't realize is that your child would rather be with YOU and living in a one room apartment than be without you because you can't offer them all the material things the world has to offer.
I hope the Dad is okay and gets the mental health care he needs.....

I completely agree. The entire story- the child's plight as well as the father's- tugged on my heartstrings. I know Dad's got a warrant for his arrest for leaving his child this way, but I pray he is found safe, and gets the help he needs. Considering he was granted custody of the boy previously, it seems like he was once a great dad. Life can really kick us in the pants sometimes!

So sad....this dad really needed someone to turn to. I'm sure he felt helpless, especially since he was losing their home. I feel terrible for father and son.

thats very sad isnt it..... I guess he thought his son would be better without him which is very untrue and may suggest he is in a deep depression.

"A desperate dad fleeing foreclosure left behind his 11-year-old son a week before they would have been evicted from their home, the St. Paul Pioneer Press reported Friday."

"Steven Alexander Cross fled during the night while his son, Sebastian, slept in their Lakeville, Minnesota home, located 25 miles south of Minneapolis. The property was in foreclosure and the owner had received an eviction notice."

"The father left a note of instruction for his son, telling him to take his PlayStation and go to a neighbor's house when he woke up."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/08/2...-son-behind-in-foreclosed-home/#ixzz1WEVEk4BS

This father is a real piece of trash......I feel so terrible for this 11-year old boy. I wonder where his mother is....

I am just very glad he left the boy with instructions and didn't think his only choice was murder/suicide. I hope the father is able to get back on his feet and regain his son's trust someday.

.....it seems like this dad made a horrible decision due to depression and desperation....hopefully he can be found and helped and hopefully the boys mother can be located after nine years absence too...

http://www.twincities.com/ci_18760371?nclick_check=1

This may be a case where some WS skills could be a great help.....here is a starting place for all you great searchers!!!

snip/////
"A petition for child protection names Katik Porter, who also uses the last name Splitstoesser, as Sebastian's mother. Her whereabouts are unknown.

According to Ramsey County Child Protection, her parental rights for three older children she had with another man were voluntarily terminated in 1999 or 2000, the petition stated. Sebastian said he last saw his mother when he was 2."

Hopefully someone will care about this child.

Well, the mother shouldn't be hard to find under the second surname listed.....I did just a quick google and found quite a few listings.....doesn't mean she wants to be a mom, or should be one, of course......

I don't think his mother is going to be helpful in this situation. I feel like he will be rejected twice if she is contacted. That poor kid. hopefully another relative or friend can step up and rescue this poor child. How tragic all the way around.

eta: if she voluntarily gave up her other kids, and left this poor boy when he was two, she does not seem very maternal. She may be the last thing he needs right now.

I do think the Father feels desperate and extremely depressed. I am glad he didn't murder his son, like alot of people have done. He left his son a note directing him what to do. If he didn't care at all he would not have left the note, IMO. He was trying to find a safe place for him to go, just from what little I know. I try not to always think the worst of everyone.

I do think the Father feels desperate and extremely depressed. I am glad he didn't murder his son, like alot of people have done. He left his son a note directing him what to do. If he didn't care at all he would not have left the note, IMO. He was trying to find a safe place for him to go, just from what little I know. I try not to always think the worst of everyone.

Yea well the kid is old enough to figure out what is going on. Being abandoned like that by his father is not going to be good for his mental well being.

This makes me angry and sad at the same time .
I am so sorry for this little boy .
I act like walking away from his son because they were poor is ok . NO
LOTS of kids are poor and some have to sleep in tents and hotels . They manage with LOVE . To walk away from this poor kid .
I will save my sympathies for this little boy who woke up to a nightmare .

This was in 2001:

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/welfare/jan-june01/breakcycle_03-05.html

"FRED DE SAM LAZARO: The threat of losing welfare forced her to actually find a job. Today, at 27, Splitstoesser works in a doctor's office. She's now worked steadily for two years, a personal record. She no longer receives any public assistance, and that fact, she says, is not lost on her children.

KATIK SPLITSTOESSER: I'm providing, doing things that I thought I'd never do -- self-esteem and high self-esteem for me, my boys see it. They take it on too. I'm more able to deal with... be a parent, be a great parent."

This is far more recent:

http://www.thisweeklive.com/public_notices/08-04-2011.html

"Publication Date: 20110804

PUBLIC NOTICE ORDER FOR HEARING AND NOTICE (CHILD IN NEED OF PROTECTION OR SERVICES PETITION PROCEEDINGS) STATE OF MINNESOTA COUNTY OF DAKOTA COUNTY COURT JUVENILE DIVISION File No. 19HA-JV-11-2238 In the Matter of the Welfare of S. C., Child. TO: Katik Porter a/k/a Katik Splitstoesser Social Worker, Chandra Poissant, having filed in this Court, a petition alleging among other things that the above named child is, in need of protection or services, in this, viz: within the meaning of Minnesota Statutes, Section 260C.007: Subd. 6(1), in that the child is abandoned or without a parent, guardian or other custodian. Subd. 6(3), in that the child is without necessary food, clothing, shelter, education, or other required care for the child's physical or mental health or morals because the child's parent, guardian, or custodian is unable or unwilling to provide that care. IT IS ORDERED that said petition be heard and the facts concerning such child be examined by the Court in the County Court Room, in the Court House, in Hastings, Minnesota, on August 17, 2011 at 9:00 am, or as soon thereafter as said matter can be heard; IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that notice hereof be given to the following named persons by one week publication in a legal newspaper as provided by law, viz: Katik Porter a/k/a Katik Splitstoesser. Dated: August 2, 2011 Richard G. Spicer Judge 2701813 8/4/11"

Sounds like he has been abandoned twice. :(

Yea well the kid is old enough to figure out what is going on. Being abandoned like that by his father is not going to be good for his mental well being.

I hope both will get the help they need and deserve.

This is far more recent:

http://www.thisweeklive.com/public_notices/08-04-2011.html

"Publication Date: 20110804

PUBLIC NOTICE ORDER FOR HEARING AND NOTICE (CHILD IN NEED OF PROTECTION OR SERVICES PETITION PROCEEDINGS) STATE OF MINNESOTA COUNTY OF DAKOTA COUNTY COURT JUVENILE DIVISION File No. 19HA-JV-11-2238 In the Matter of the Welfare of S. C., Child. TO: Katik Porter a/k/a Katik Splitstoesser Social Worker, Chandra Poissant, having filed in this Court, a petition alleging among other things that the above named child is, in need of protection or services, in this, viz: within the meaning of Minnesota Statutes, Section 260C.007: Subd. 6(1), in that the child is abandoned or without a parent, guardian or other custodian. Subd. 6(3), in that the child is without necessary food, clothing, shelter, education, or other required care for the child's physical or mental health or morals because the child's parent, guardian, or custodian is unable or unwilling to provide that care. IT IS ORDERED that said petition be heard and the facts concerning such child be examined by the Court in the County Court Room, in the Court House, in Hastings, Minnesota, on August 17, 2011 at 9:00 am, or as soon thereafter as said matter can be heard; IT IS FURTHER ORDERED that notice hereof be given to the following named persons by one week publication in a legal newspaper as provided by law, viz: Katik Porter a/k/a Katik Splitstoesser. Dated: August 2, 2011 Richard G. Spicer Judge 2701813 8/4/11"

Sounds like he has been abandoned twice. :(

OMG that poor kid!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆