GUILTY CA - Gregory Winsell for child *advertiser censored*, Carmel Valley, 2011

Missizzy

Reaction score
I have no idea how I missed this case. Seems that there was quite a bit of press and even a FB page. It's really frightening as social workers are often alone with vulnerable children who don't know them well. So, a single plea of no contest with the assurance of probation? For 500 images? Can a judge change his/her mind on the sentencing date?

http://www.thecalifornian.com/artic...ontest-child-*advertiser censored*-possession

Ex-Monterey County social worker pleads no contest to child *advertiser censored* possession
August 4, 2011

"A former Monterey County [CA] social worker pleaded last week to a charge involving possession of child *advertiser censored*, according to court records. Gregory John Winsell, 57, pleaded no contest July 27 to one felony count of possession of child *advertiser censored*..."

and

"...the maximum penalty for the charge is three years in state prison and three years of parole. Court records say, however, that Winsell entered his plea on the condition that he receives felony probation...."

and

"....Winsell was arrested April 12 by Monterey County Sheriff’s deputies on suspicion of possessing more than 500 images of child *advertiser censored* at his Carmel Valley home. The county Department of Social and Employment Services has said Winsell worked in the family reunification unit, responsible of working with children in foster care, birth families and foster parents...."

more at link

I absolutely HATE these cases, where someone who is licensed to work with children is a horrific abuser of them. To me there should b special circumstances invoked in their prosecution and their sentences should be much harsher and for a longer term.

These pedophiles are obviously planning and obtaining degrees and certifications with a long term plan to have access to children. Add to this that they prey among the most vulnerable children in our society and that compounds the reasons for my feelings.

You took the words right out of my mouth....special circumstances. I totally agree that the "plan" reaches back decades. I am appalled that this man was allowed to plead to only one count in exchange for probation. So which child victim's pain was validated? Which 499 were ignored?

The vulnerability of these children is beyond most of our understanding. They've been removed from their families of origin, don't know which way is up, are thrust into new schools and homes and are expected to meet privately with a social worker and "open up". It's so sad. Many social workers are fabulous and bring about positive change for children. Then this guy comes along and besmirches the profession.

I am hoping against hope that a judge changes the plan at the last moment. I've seen that happen before. We can hope.

This disturbs me on soooo many levels. I agree with you both. Special circumstances should be considered.

Gee, this is one harsh sentence...probably 30 days and some probation? I'm tremendously sorry that Winsell has ADHD and abuses alcohol and prescription meds. But welcome to a very very big club. Millions of folks have the same issues and yet manage to leave the child *advertiser censored* alone. Add in the fact that this was a professional man who geared his entire life around children. I'm disgusted.

http://www.montereyherald.com/local/ci_18899979?source=rss

Former social worker pleads no contest to possessing child *advertiser censored*
September 15, 2011

"A former Monterey County social worker was sentenced to probation and 90 days in jail on Wednesday after he pleaded no contest to possession of child *advertiser censored*. Under terms issued by Judge Russell Scott, Gregory Winsell, 57, will have to serve up to 30 days and can apply for home confinement for the rest of his jail term...."

and

"He ought to be in jail," [Prosecutor Rolando] Mazariegos said, "especially based on what he used to do," referring to Winsell's former job as a child welfare worker with the county's Family Reunification Unit, which works with families and children in foster care...."

and

"...The report from the probation department, released Wednesday by the court, paints a picture of a mentally troubled man so addicted to prescription drugs and later, *advertiser censored*, that he constantly sought out "more shocking images...."

and

"...Winsell said, he became addicted to drugs, alcohol and to adult *advertiser censored*. As drugs and booze numbed his sensitivity, he said, his *advertiser censored* addiction escalated into the "bizarre and taboo" — and the illegal. He told officers he has been diagnosed with a number of psychological disorders, including an anxiety disorder and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, for which the drug Ritalin is a treatment...."

and

"...According to the report, he did not feel attracted to real-life children and there was no evidence he ever harmed or had inappropriate contact with children whit whom he worked. He was a social worker with the county since 2005 and had been on leave for a medical disability since December. He has since been terminated..."

more at link

Oh, and he's got until Nov. 1st to start serving his piddly little sentence. I'd like to know what quality of care he offered his charges over the years. And concerning the "real-life children", just what are those little guys in the torturous child *advertiser censored* images? Last time I checked, they were real live human beings enduring unimaginable horror.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ignoreme123
Back