GUILTY AZ - Christopher Carlson for child abuse, Grand Canyon NP, 2011

Missizzy

Reaction score
This is how we build strong kids? One wonders if Carlson denied himself water, food and had horrible blisters and chafing of his groin? He brings shame to the name "grandpa". Last time I checked Navy SEAL type training is reserved for adults who choose it, knowing full well what they're signing on for.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44362965/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/#.TmA2tWBqIlc

Grandpa accused of forcing boys on brutal Grand Canyon hikes
September 1, 2011

"An Indiana man is accused of forcing his three young grandsons on brutal hikes at the Grand Canyon, beating them, making them walk on ulcerated blisters, denying them food and water and pushing them to run up the trail under the intense sun. Christopher A. Carlson, of Indianapolis, was charged with child abuse...."

and

"....Rangers and passers-by noted the alleged abuse by Carlson against the boys, ages 12, 9 and 8, according to a court documents. One of the hikes down the most popular trail at the Grand Canyon lasted 18 miles last weekend, when temperatures reached up to 108 degrees at Phantom Ranch along the Colorado River. A ranger spotted the group with binoculars on a trail and saw Carlson shoving the oldest boy and whipping him with a rolled up a T-shirt..."

and

"...When asked about the condition of the boys during a hike on Aug. 15, Carlson became defensive, the ranger said. He refused to let the boys cool off in a water fountain and also refused to let the boys eat food the ranger offered..."

and

"...The boys told investigators that they had been hit, pushed, choked, pinched, squeezed and whipped, and had vomited several times when Carlson forced their fingers down their throats....."

more at link

There were also plans for a trip to South America and Jamaica, according to the following article. It appears that the grandfather has custody of the children but I'm wondering if it's formal or informal. Wouldn't the mother be required to sign off on any passport? There's also a video of the boys' mother:

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/new...ourt-hearing-account-of-brutal-abuse-9-1-2011

The 24 page criminal complaint:

http://media2.myfoxphoenix.com/pdfs/grand-canyon-child-abuse.pdf

NOTE: Be aware that this is heartbreaking to read.

Bless Ranger Aurnou and all the others. She would not back down. She refused to let the hike continue. Each ranger confronted had the same experience with the grandfather. He was aggressive and cruel. It sounds like a large number of LEOs managed this frightening scene as best they could given the dangerous surrounding.

It's remarkable that none of the boys died.

Pure, unadulterated cruelty for cruelty's sake. Carlson not only physically abused these little boys in every way possible but he also intimidated them, humiliated them, terrorized them and sexually abused one boy by grabbing and squeezing his scrotum and penis as punishment for soiling his pants.

Open sores in their groin areas? Vomiting and double vision due to the heat? Lord, help them heal.

I'm a huge proponent of getting kids outside and exercising. I don't like whining about healthy doses of physical exertion. After all, farm kids have to work their bunnies off and I think it's healthy. But you don't ignore physical pain. You don't ignore the body's basic needs ie. food and water and appropriate footwear and underwear. You don't deny sleep. You don't choke and hit and knock your babies to the ground.

I'm appalled and sickened by what this man did to three boys who he's supposed to love. I'm also concerned about the one comment made by a child about what his mother said and about the strange story of visiting so many countries.

This story has made me contact each of my sons just to tell them I love them. I wish I could be a resource for these boys.

Who is this monster?

Grandpa charged with forcing Grand Canyon hikes

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. (AP) — An Indiana man forced his young grandsons for miles along a sun-baked Grand Canyon hiking trail and denied them water and food, saying later he wanted to toughen them up, according to authorities.

Christopher Carlson, of Indianapolis, remained jailed Thursday on six counts of child abuse. The boys, ages 12, 9 and 8, told investigators that they had been hit, pushed, choked, pinched and squeezed during trips into the canyon from the South Rim last month.

A ranger with binoculars spotted the group on its most recent hike — a trek last weekend on the popular Bright Angel Trail and saw Carlson shoving the oldest boy and whipping him with a rolled-up T-shirt, authorities said.

Rangers fed and hydrated the boys and they were placed in the care of child protective services. One boy had symptoms of heat stroke, while the other two exhibited signs of heat exhaustion and dehydration
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The boy's mother, Tara Danaher, of Indianapolis, sobbed at a court hearing Thursday. She said her children went on trips with their grandfather this summer, including to Central America and Jamaica, where they have family friends. The highlight of the latest trip that included the Grand Canyon was supposed to be Disneyland, she said.

http://www.mycenturylink.com/news/read.php?rip_id=<D9PFUB9G0@news.ap.org>&ps=1011&page=1

Man 'forced grandsons to hike 18 miles at Grand Canyon without water'

A man forced his three young grandsons to hike 18 miles in over 40C heat at the Grand Canyon and denied them food and water, authorities said.

Christopher Carlson is being held accused of six counts of child abuse. The boys, aged eight, nine and 12, told investigators they had been hit, pushed, choked, pinched and squeezed during trips on a popular trail at the canyon's South Rim last month

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/sep/02/man-grandsons-grand-canyon-water

Indiana grandfather arrested for allegedly abusing boys during Grand Canyon hike

SNIPPED>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The boys told authorities they were "hit, pushed, choked, kicked, pinched, squeezed, and whipped," according to court papers.

"They said they were not allowed to drink water on the hike down and resorted to drinking water from the Colorado River," according to a park ranger's account in the criminal complaint. "All three threw up on the hike multiple times."

Park rangers first noticed Carlson's bizarre behavior when they spotted him relentlessly marching the children on rough terrain despite sizzling temperatures on Aug. 15, according to court papers unsealed this week.

Carlson, 45, became defiant when a ranger asked about the boys' health at the end of a 7.5-mile trail - and the grandfather insisted on taking another long hike despite the boy's complaints of blistered feet.

The ranger put out a bulletin for his colleagues to stop Carlson, but the man and three kids were not spotted again until they returned to a camp site 13 days later.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...s_during_grand_canyon_hike.html#ixzz1WnqpQpGm

Probably wanted to 'toughen them up' or something similar. They treat boys better than this in Marine boot camp.
Seriously I hope they run a full evaluation on this guy, he is deranged and there could be some physical reason. The boys' mom apparently either had no issue with any of this or was unaware it was happening. Recent onset??

I think mom believed they were on a trip to Disneyland with Grandpa, according to this article, at least that is how I understood it:

SNIP>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The boy's mother, Tara Danaher, of Indianapolis, sobbed at a court hearing Thursday. She said her children went on trips with their grandfather this summer, including to Central America and Jamaica, where they have family friends. The highlight of the latest trip that included the Grand Canyon was supposed to be Disneyland, she said.Danaher, 28, said she talked with her children throughout the summer and that they never expressed any concerns.

"I don't want to say I can't believe it because anything is possible in this world," she said during breaks in the hearing. "I want to know what the hell happened."

http://www.mycenturylink.com/news/read.php?rip_id=<D9PFUB9G0@news.ap.org>&ps=1011&page=2

I think the trip was to include disneyland not supposed to be just disneyland.

I think I will wait to see if more detail are released. My daughter thinks it is abusive for me to make her load the dishwasher. And who was present when this boys were questioned?

Not saying they werent pinched (like gramdama snatched my ears) or that what they say isnt true. I just need more information as from the article is sounds if the park ranger may not have liked this man from the first encounter. Everyone get a blister on their foot when they hike.

They may have been learning survival skills and 13 days after the park ranger said he didnt want them to continue they did emerge from the woods themselves. The other locations traveled are interesting to me makes me wonder who is this grandfather.

I dont have anything object to say about withholding water but if they ran low before getting back to the camp he may have been conserving.

Soulmagent--Did you see that I included a link to the criminal complaint in Post #2? It's a bit confusing as we have two merged threads. Read the complaint. It's pretty clear that the guy is sick and sadistic. This is not the way to build strength. I hate to cast doubt on the mother but one child did relate something quite concerning about her possible knowledge of the level of abuse. You'll have to read it carefully to catch it. Here's the link again:

http://media2.myfoxphoenix.com/pdfs/grand-canyon-child-abuse.pdf

It's 24 pages long. The same day Carlson ran the boys through the forced hike, a man died on that trail of heat stroke.

Just be forewarned, it's tremendously hard to read. The level of pure cruelty will take your breath away. I simply cannot believe that a large number of witness, park rangers and the boys themselves misrepresented the facts. A cruel, mean man.

There's got to be more to this story, though, and I'm trying to be patient and wait for it to be released.

I read the whole thing last night and the comment from the mom was crazy. She knew he would abuse them.
All three boys told the same things ,and sought out help from another hiker.

Another thing I noticed was that this guy is 45 and a grandfather to the boys the oldest being 12. So he became a grandfather at 33. Now it never said how old the mother is so I am assuming both the GF and the mother were very young when they became parents. Or aleast had children.

Grandmother talks about Grand Canyon child abuse case

GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK, AZ - Close relatives of three children reportedly abused at Grand Canyon National Park will be in northern Arizona this week.

Pam Beatty, the children's grandmother, told ABC15 a court hearing has been set for Wednesday morning.

She's the mother of Kevin Beatty, the children's father.

The three boys, according to the Beatty family are in the care of Child Protective Services after their maternal grandfather Christopher Carlson was arrested for child abuse

Read more: http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/regio...t-grand-canyon-child-abuse-case#ixzz1XB8xRv2l

The line that got me is that one of the little boys related that he'd overheard his mother tell the grandfather that if he choked them, they'd better be able to breathe. This tells me that she knew full well just how violent this man can be. She's his daughter, after all.

I'm still very curious as to why this man took these children to other countries. Is he a wealthy man? Was all their paperwork in order?

Just to be clear..Carlson is 45. His daughter, TD, is 28. The children are 12, 9 and 8. The mug shot used in the very first post above was captioned "Mug shot from a 2006 arrest". I don't know why they used an old mug shot. I'd like to know why he was arrested in 2006. Did he have any restrictions about leaving the country?

So, if my math is correct, Carlson was 17 when his daughter was born and she was 16 when her first son was born. Very young but certainly possible.

ETA: Looks like a number of news sources are still using the 2006 mug shot without identifying the date.

The line that got me is that one of the little boys related that he'd overheard his mother tell the grandfather that if he choked them, they'd better be able to breathe. This tells me that she knew full well just how violent this man can be. She's his daughter, after all.

I'm still very curious as to why this man took these children to other countries. Is he a wealthy man? Was all their paperwork in order?

I wondered about the other countries too ,isnt one of those counrty listed a pedo retreat?

I wonder if he might have been conditioning the boys for other types of abuse.

He actually went one step further than conditioning, IMO, as he technically sexually abused one of the boys by grabbing his scrotum and penis. The prescribed bathroom time allotments are also a form of sexual torture. I'm very afraid that we haven't heard the full story.

I've read that there were trips to Mexico, Jamaica and South America. South America is a very big place. What countries and why? Did they meet up with anyone?

The grandmother commented that each boy had lost between 20-30 lbs. each over the 6 weeks. That's a lot of weight for little boys to lose. I've seen the father's FB page and he seems to be a large man. Thus, I would expect his children to be similarly built.

There's several odd circumstances ie. the serious control issues, the physical abuse, the health food only (who carries hummus in 108 degree weather?), the withholding of water, the threatening the children to "act happy" and to lie. If Carlson treated the boys this way on the hikes, how did he treat them in the other locales?

And where in heckola is a recent photo of Carlson? I can't find one. Why would they still be using a five year old mugshot?

OK, this is getting really strange:

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/new...pect-has-history-of-drug-convictions-9-6-2011

Report: Child Abuse Suspect Has History of Drug Convictions
September 6, 2011

"Court paperwork is shedding new light on an Indiana grandfather, accused of abusing his grandchildren while on a trip to the Grand Canyon. According to court paperwork, Christopher Carlson has two prior felony drug convictions. Investigators say they also have reason to believe he's been visiting marijuana farms in foreign countries, taking his grandchildren on those trips. That's with very little reported income...."

more at link

Can someone explain to me why this man would need to take the children to all these foreign countries for pot? There's plenty of domestically grown, fairly accessible pot in the states. Why drag the boys oversees? Was he setting up pipelines? Is a high stakes dealer? I'm having a hard time buying that.

Not a bit of this makes sense. Why take children? Why bring attention to those children? I am hoping and praying that those children were not used for some nefarious and sick purpose, some sort of bargaining chip.

They're little boys......

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back