Susan Powell’s family files suit to keep journals off Web permanently

Jacie Estes

Medical Marijuana Advocate
Reaction score
By melinda Rogers

The Salt Lake Tribune
First published Sep 02 2011 06:29PM
Updated Sep 2, 2011 11:54PM

To one family, the diaries are a reminder of a missing daughter whose husband has seemingly trampled her reputation since she disappeared.

To another family, childhood journals of Susan Cox Powell show evidence that points to why the 28-year-old mother of two vanished inexplicably on Dec. 6, 2009 — and why the public should stop asking them what happened to her.

Now, a Washington judge is set to wade into family discord between Powell’s two families. Susan Powell’s parents, Chuck and Judy Cox, have filed a civil lawsuit against her husband, Josh Powell, and several of his relatives who have maintained a website at susanpowell.org....

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52508527-78/powell-susan-josh-powells.html.csp

This part of the article posted above is troubling:

"Fischer said attorneys for Josh Powell can argue that Susan Powell did not have a "reasonable expectation of privacy" when she left her journals in her home. And because the two were married, there’s a possibility that she shared her diaries with her husband, essentially making the materials Josh Powell’s property, too."

I feel pretty certain that they will get some kind of suppression here until there is some kind of trial.

He has no right to defame her. IMO.

Josh and Steve are making it blatantly obvious that they are the bad guys here. How long will it be until the boys are old enough to google search their mom at the library or in the computer lab at school, and see what their father and grandfather have done to their beloved mother?

First of all I think those diaries are probably not all Susan's writing. I'm betting they somehow both were able to piece together words maybe using trace paper to write something totally not hers in it to bolster their story.

Why else would JP spend money to keep those diaries? Yes evidence of covering up SP missing status.

Stafford Frey Cooper, the law firm that filed the complaint is very large, very well known, (even down here in Portland) and very good. I hope they are doing it for costs only as a pro bono service to the community.

I am not too worried about the troubling parts Jacie highlighted above. If the Powells want to assert that affirmative defense, they will take on the burden of proof. Good luck with that, guys.

good! I never understood why those 2 would want to publish them in the first place. Besides, they still vomit that Susan is alive and ran off with another man. Well if she's still alive, those journals still belong to her and she certainly didn't give them permission to publish. I find those two (son and dad) really <unusual>.

Glad someone is advocating for Susan!

MOO

Mel

Haven't followed this case at all, but a father-in-law who admits he was obsessed with his son's wife, and admits he took ALOT of video and pictures of his daughter-in-law, and wrote about her in his journals?! (Ewwwww!)

That can't be good.

MOO..these men want to destroy her reputation so that when her body is found there will be a defense for SP.......cause they say she had an affair with his father. This woman had no chance at the hands of these two men. If she is truly dead she is in God's hands now. These men are easy to see through. MOO

Friggin good for them! I have never seen ANYTHING as nauseating as susanpowell.org

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back