Hurricane Katia

I've been watching this one for the last few days, worrying myself into a ridiculous state of stress. Since my dr gave me the okay to travel, I leave this week to see my parents in SC (of which I have not seen in years) and to spend vacation time in Florida with my daughter (haven't seen her in a year). Plus us DC'rs and surrounding states don't need more wind and rain... Irene gave us plenty and we are still dealing with the mess left behind. Katia just needs to step off and be gone...

Hurricane Katia - Dr. Jeff Masters Wunderblog at Wunderground.com 4:45 pm GMT

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/article.html

"Hurricane Katia is close to major hurricane strength, and is now a high-end Category 2 hurricane with 110 mph winds. Latest satellite loops show a well-defined eye and good upper-level outflow on all sides, but the hurricane still has a lopsided appearance, due to the impacts of dry air and moderate wind shear on its south side.

The computer models have finally come into agreement on the long-range future of Katia, determining that the trough of low pressure that will develop over the Eastern U.S. later this week will turn the hurricane to the north well before the storm reaches the U.S. As the storm moves northwards past North Carolina, Katia will get caught up in west-to-east moving winds associated with the jet stream, and taken northeastwards out to sea. No land areas are in Katia's cone of uncertainty, though Newfoundland, Canada will need to watch future forecasts to see how close Katia may pass to the southeastern portion of that province. The main impact of Katia will be high surf leading to beach erosion and dangerous rip currents. Long period swells from Katia are arriving at the Southeast U.S. coast today, and the entire U.S. East Coast will receive an extended multi-day period of high surf."

Bit of trivia: Katia is the name that was chosen to replace "Katrina" in the 6 year rotation when that name was retired due to its infamy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back