AR - Dexter Williams, 24, found dead in hot tub with TV weatherman, 5 Sept 2011

Joe Friday

Getting the Facts
Reaction score
Man Found Dead in Bathtub with KARK Meteorologist Brett Cummins

Meteorologist Brett Cummins, who has been with KARK since 2001, was questioned by police on Monday after he was found asleep in a bathtub along with a dead man wearing a dog collar.

Christopher Barbour, a resident of the house where Cummins was found with the dead body, told police that he witnessed Cummins and the man–a friend of his named Dexter Paul Williams–drinking and snorting illegal narcotics on Sunday night. Barbour, Cummins, and Williams spent time together in a jacuzzi bathtub before Barbour left the pair alone and went to sleep on a couch in the living room.

Read more at link: http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/ma...-with-kark-meteorologist-brett-cummins_b20769

I don't think that Brett has to worry about a job anymore....Things like this are a little hard to explain to your employer.

Now, to my initial reaction...O.M.G.!!!!!

Things like this are a little hard to explain, period. You can't just say, "I hate it when that happens."

Things like this are a little hard to explain, period. You can't just say, "I hate it when that happens."

You are so right wfgodot! I was just thinking about his immediate job status.

How can he explain why he left the house before talking to police? Yes, he did return to talk to them, but why would you leave to begin with? Wouldn't you think that your statement to the police MIGHT be important?

ETA: KARK has taken Brett Cummins off of the air according to this report.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article.aspx?aID=128366.54928.140442&page=1

I stumbled upon this story earlier today and, as a media junkie, I have been following it because I find it absolutely fascinating. (Although the Arkansas Times article comment section has provided interesting tidbits but also turned into a anti-gay, preachy diatribe. I had posted the following there but figured my fellow Web Sleuths would do a better job with it)

After reading the police report, I'm VERY suspicious of this event for several reasons:

1. Christopher Barbour's (the homeowner) story seems very suspect. While it has been hinted that they were doing cocaine (I suspect they were doing crystal meth amphetamine) in the comment to police about snorting drugs. No one who is doing lines of coke or crystal meth at 8pm will be able to go to sleep for the night at 10pm and sleep for 10 hours.

2. Brett Cummins leaving the scene: I initially suspected that he left to dispose of the illegal narcotics and anything he might wouldn't want logged into evidence. However with the note in the police report of the blood at the bottom of the empty/dry tub, I wonder if there was bloody clothing that Cummins needed to dispose of (The police report notes that Cummins & Barbour cleaned up vomit prior to police arriving (or being called). Perhaps there is a more sinister action or drug induced psychotic episode.

3. The notion that Cummins was passed out next to the body and was discovered by Barbour in the scene described in the police report; it sounds like this was a storyline they concocted.

Just my thoughts; I'd appreciate your feedback!

(By the way I've been following websleuths for years but this is my first post.)

I stumbled upon this story earlier today and, as a media junkie, I have been following it because I find it absolutely fascinating. (Although the Arkansas Times article comment section has provided interesting tidbits but also turned into a anti-gay, preachy diatribe. I had posted the following there but figured my fellow Web Sleuths would do a better job with it)

After reading the police report, I'm VERY suspicious of this event for several reasons:

1. Christopher Barbour's (the homeowner) story seems very suspect. While it has been hinted that they were doing cocaine (I suspect they were doing crystal meth amphetamine) in the comment to police about snorting drugs. No one who is doing lines of coke or crystal meth at 8pm will be able to go to sleep for the night at 10pm and sleep for 10 hours.

2. Brett Cummins leaving the scene: I initially suspected that he left to dispose of the illegal narcotics and anything he might wouldn't want logged into evidence. However with the note in the police report of the blood at the bottom of the empty/dry tub, I wonder if there was bloody clothing that Cummins needed to dispose of (The police report notes that Cummins & Barbour cleaned up vomit prior to police arriving (or being called). Perhaps there is a more sinister action or drug induced psychotic episode.

3. The notion that Cummins was passed out next to the body and was discovered by Barbour in the scene described in the police report; it sounds like this was a storyline they concocted.

(By the way I've been following websleuths for years but this is my first post.)

Welcome HastingsChi! I am glad that you've joined us to comment!

I am very suspicious too, exactly for the same reasons you've posted. I am going to go read the comments from the link you posted and then come back and post.

Again, Welcome to our group!

There goes HIS career. When are people gonna realize drugs and alcohol (nevermind then going in a hot jacuzzi afterwards) don't mix!

Thanks Tezi!

A couple of other things to share:

In the police report Barbour states that he was snorting narcotics with Cummins and Williams but says he wasn't sure what specific drug he was snorting; Why wouldn't he identify the drug: Because the penalties for possession of crystal meth are much harsher than other drugs.

To me it is crystal clear that Cummins and Barbour sanitized and covered-up the scene and agreed upon a storyline.

The most striking thing that I've read and confirmed: Cummins (who allegedly is so distraught over Dexter Williams death) was seen later that day (Monday evening) on KARK 4 News doing a on-camera weather report. Here is a that weather report via Brett Cummins Facebook page.

Thanks Tezi!

A couple of other things to share:

In the police report Barbour states that he was snorting narcotics with Cummins and Williams but says he wasn't sure what specific drug he was snorting; Why wouldn't he identify the drug: Because the penalties for possession of crystal meth are much harsher than other drugs.

To me it is crystal clear that Cummins and Barbour sanitized and covered-up the scene and agreed upon a storyline.

The most striking thing that I've read and confirmed: Cummins (who allegedly is so distraught over Dexter Williams death) was seen later that day (Monday evening) on KARK 4 News doing a on-camera weather report. Here is a that weather report via Brett Cummins Facebook page.

One thing tho... nobody snorting crystal meth at 8 PM is going to sleep at 10 PM either! Not 10 PM that night anyways! Maybe 10 PM three nights later (if they continue snorting). I'm sure the COD hasn't been determined yet, but if the jacuzzi was hot enough, the mixture of alcohol, drugs (especially prolonged abuse of these substances) and a HOT jacuzzi perhaps mixed with vigorous sexual activity (not specifically stated but implied) could cause a heart attack.

ETA: Heroin can be snorted as well and would definitely induce sleep... JMO.

One thing tho... nobody snorting crystal meth at 8 PM is going to sleep at 10 PM either! Not 10 PM that night anyways! Maybe 10 PM three nights later (if they continue snorting). I'm sure the COD hasn't been determined yet, but if the jacuzzi was hot enough, the mixture of alcohol, drugs (especially prolonged abuse of these substances) and a HOT jacuzzi perhaps mixed with vigorous sexual activity (not specifically stated but implied) could cause a heart attack.

Deelytful1 : I had initially had the same thought earlier in the day, but as the story has developed today it has come out that the jacuzzi was one of those in-bathroom jacuzzi tubs and it was dry (with dried up blood found under Williams body).

Deelytful1 : I had initially had the same thought earlier in the day, but as the story has developed today it has come out that the jacuzzi was one of those in-bathroom jacuzzi tubs and it was dry (with dried up blood found under Williams body).

K. well, without getting graphic... how MUCH blood? It may have been attributed to something else. The sleeping thing? Well, we've heard of or experienced when couples drink too much, they may fall asleep but they must have been very intoxicated to fall asleep in an uncomfortable tub, but it is possible.
I think toxicology results will reveal whether or not it was an OD and the autopsy will reveal whether or not it was a heart attack (or some other physical reason) if neither come back conclusive, then definitely foul play should be considered....

The police report also mentions Williams was wearing a "dog collar" when his body was found. As a gay man, I am aware that "dog collars" are often used in the S&M / BSDM / "Rough Trade" sexual fetish scenes (and I acknowledge that some men & women wear a "dog collar" accessory as a fashion statement having nothing to do with S&M, etc).

Now, combine the above with the following information:

Maumelle Crime Watch
Thursday, January 13, 2011 11:20 AM CST
16 Village Way: On Dec. 23, Christopher Barbour was arrested and charged with third degree domestic battery. Bail was also set at $575.

16 Village Way: On Dec. 23, Jason Keith Taylor, 38, of Maumelle was arrested and charged with third degree domestic battery. Bail was set at $575.

Source: http://www.jacksonvillepatriot.com/articles/2011/01/13/police_reports/pol03.txt

While I don't know the circumstances of Barbour's January battery arrest, it causes me to further speculate: Might Williams death be a drug fueled fetish scene involving Williams, Barbour & Cummins that got out of control?

The police report also mentions Williams was wearing a "dog collar" when his body was found. As a gay man, I am aware that "dog collars" are often used in the S&M / BSDM / "Rough Trade" sexual fetish scenes (and I acknowledge that some men & women wear a "dog collar" accessory as a fashion statement having nothing to do with S&M, etc).

Now, combine the above with the following information:

Maumelle Crime Watch
Thursday, January 13, 2011 11:20 AM CST
16 Village Way: On Dec. 23, Christopher Barbour was arrested and charged with third degree domestic battery. Bail was also set at $575.

16 Village Way: On Dec. 23, Jason Keith Taylor, 38, of Maumelle was arrested and charged with third degree domestic battery. Bail was set at $575.

Source: http://www.jacksonvillepatriot.com/articles/2011/01/13/police_reports/pol03.txt

While I don't know the circumstances of Barbour's January battery arrest, it causes me to further speculate: Might Williams death be a drug fueled fetish scene involving Williams, Barbour & Cummins that got out of control?

I think your guess is as good as anything else at this point. I also think that you are right about Cummins leaving to dispose of evidence, like drugs. I wonder if LE drug tested Cummins and Barbour?

Something that really bothers me is that Barbour said he heard Cummins snoring and found him in the bathtub. Those drugs must have been pretty powerful for Cummins to be snoring and sleeping that deep in the bathtub. The blood also bothers me. I wonder how much was there and if Williams had any visible wounds that would account for the bleeding?

Any way you go about it though, Cummins career, at least in LR is finished.

At the risk of repeating myself (and quoting another poster on another thread)

whiskey, tango, foxtrot?

At the risk of repeating myself (and quoting another poster on another thread)

whiskey, tango, foxtrot?

I'm very slow on the uptake tonight marycarney! It took me a minute to see what you were saying. LOL

Yes, whiskey, tango, foxtrot indeed!

Welcome to WS! Hope you stick around.

But I do have this question: if you were going to concoct a phony story, why would you place yourself in a bathtub sleeping with the dead man?

Am I missing your point?

I first read about this earlier today at work. I had to read the article 3 times and still did not understand it. The article I read was on Yahoo and stated the victim had a "chain" around his neck. It was the strangest written story ever! I finally just decided to wait until tonight because I knew my buddies here would find a better written story that made more sense. This is so sad as someone lost their life there.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back2theGardenAgain
Back