IL IL - Mark Collman, 21, Kendall County, 3 April 1979

Cubby

fly the W!
Reaction score
I just ran across this article in my local news. This story just rips at my heart.

On Sunday I wrote about Kay and Dwayne Collman’s very public grief in the aftermath of the 9/11 terrorist attacks that claimed the life of their son Jeffrey.

Like so many of the victims, the body of the 41-year-old flight attendant on board the first plane that hit the World Trade Center was never recovered — except for a couple of finger bones that are now buried at River Hills Cemetery in Batavia.

But what the Collmans have kept much more private is that next to Jeffrey’s memorial is a similar marker for his older brother, whose burial site is also missing a body.

In 1979, the Collmans’ 21-year-old son Mark disappeared and was never heard from again. The shy young man, a 1975 graduate of Yorkville High School, had been living at home at the time and was employed at the Model Box factory off Route 47 and Cannonball Road.

Because he worked a 3 to 11 shift and his bedroom was in the basement, Kay and Dwayne didn’t necessarily see Mark every day. So when his boss called to say he’d not shown up to work on April 3, 1979, it was the family’s first indication something was wrong.

Full article at link:

http://napervillesun.suntimes.com/7498693-417/mystery-surrounds-loss-of-911-familys-oldest-son.html

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

Mark's case is not listed in Charley Project nor is it listed in NamUs.

I'm not even sure if the date and county are correct. I pulled the county because Yorkville and Yorkville HS is in Kendall County.

I'd love to see if we WS'rs can help get Mark's case into NamUs, Charley Project and some of the other MP databases. He might be out there waiting to come home.

I haven't yet googled for any news articles but couldn't find anything on his case with a quick google search. While I know at WS, it is against TOS to contact family directly, we can reach out and offer our assistance via the journalist who wrote the above article. Perhaps the family would be willing to work with us to ensure Mark is in the appropriate databases.

So incredily sad to have lost two sons. Praying we can find Mark and bring him home.

I found nothing else online regarding Mark's missing persons case. No archived news articles. He is also not listed in doenet.

I sent the reporter an email offering my/our assistance in ensuring Mark's information is added to the appropriate databases. I'll update accordingly if I hear anything back.

I found nothing else online regarding Mark's missing persons case. No archived news articles. He is also not listed in doenet.

I sent the reporter an email offering my/our assistance in ensuring Mark's information is added to the appropriate databases. I'll update accordingly if I hear anything back.

~ Hi Cubby,
Interesting. I read this article this morning on FB. He seemed to vanish in thin air. Not alot about him on google that I can find thus far. I wonder if it was his choice to disappear or a mishap? Hope we can find out more info.

I found nothing outside of this article SideKick. I immediately wondered if his car was missing with him or not, and if so was it ever recovered. Where any of his personal belongings missing?

Lots of questions and I certainly do not wish to impose on this family, so will await a reply from the journalist.

It really breaks my heart this family is still awaiting answers on Mark's disappearance.

Thanks Carl. The above uid was found with a pager. If this were Mark, he would have had to be alive and well for quite sometime until pagers became available. I don't recall pagers being around much before 1990 or so.

I'm also wondering if LE ever did a SS# check to see if Marks social security number has been used since his disappearance.

The only Illinois DoeNet case that fits the age and race parameters is this 1998 skeletal remains case from Bolingbrook (which is very close to Kendall County).

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1485umil.html

However, I doubt that the hair and clothing found with the bones would have lasted 19 years.

Thanks Carl90245,

At a glance per the above:

Unidentified White Male

•The victim was discovered on April 22, 1998 in Bolingbrook, Will County, Illinois
•Estimated Date of Death: 3-5 Years prior
•Cause of Death: Shot to death
•State of Remains: Partial Skeleton

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics

•Estimated age: 20-30 years old
•Approximate Height and Weight: 5'8"; 160 lbs.
•Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown hair.
•Clothing: Blue nylon starter jacket, size XL; jeans; Levi Silver Tab belt 32"; 9-9.5 Nike shoes.
•Personal Effects: A pager.
•Fingerprints: Not available
•Dentals: Available; 12 postmortem fracture; 18 and 19 O-B amalgam; 28 O-O amalgam; 29 occlusal amalgam; 30 and 31 OB amalgam.
•DNA: Available; CODIS.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Case History
The partial skeletal remains were found in a partly wooded and grassy area behind a truck stop on Route 53 and I-55, in Bolingbrook, Illinois on April 22, 1998. Evidence indicates possible foul play.

Michigan and Wisconsin would be additional states to look at. A lot of people from NE IL visit WI and MI. Of course if Mark left of his own accord he could be anywhere.

I asked Carl to see if he can find a birth record. We can search veromi by first name and full DOB if that info is available and Mark chose to go with a variation of his surname.

Maybe his friends will find us also via google search. It's happened on cases older than Marks. Hopefully we can get some info/movement on his case.

love to find out if he Mark owned a blue nylon jacket and had a pager!
Dentals available!! This is good.

SK

Dentals and DNA available. I don't want to sound insensitive, but I wonder if the FRS DNA sample used to identify Jeffrey would be available to local LE currently handling Mark's case to enter it into Codis.

I asked Carl to see if he can find a birth record. We can search veromi by first name and full DOB if that info is available and Mark chose to go with a variation of his surname.

There's nothing on him in Ancestry, and his yearbooks aren't available in Classmates.

ETA: The Classmates.com alumni listing for Yorkville HS includes three other persons with the surname Collman.

Thanks Carl. The above uid was found with a pager. If this were Mark, he would have had to be alive and well for quite sometime until pagers became available. I don't recall pagers being around much before 1990 or so.

From this article, pagers were in use in the late 1970's.
http://inventors.about.com/od/pstartinventions/a/pager.htm

The first successful consumer pager was Motorola's Pageboy I first introduced in 1974. It had no display and could not store messages, however, it was portable and notified the wearer that a message had been sent.

By 1980, there were 3.2 million pager users worldwide. At that time pagers had a limited range and were used mostly in on-site situations for example when medical workers communicate with each other within a hospital.

Nevertheless, if this was one of the older pagers, they probably would have said so. And as I noted before, cotton jeans would not have lasted in the elements for 19 years.

There's nothing on him in Ancestry, and his yearbooks aren't available in Classmates.

ETA: The Classmates.com alumni listing for Yorkville HS includes three other persons with the surname Collman.

BBM. He has quite a few siblings, step siblings and half siblings. He appears to come from a fairly large family.

BBM. He has quite a few siblings, step siblings and half siblings. He appears to come from a fairly large family.

An age reinactment photo would be awesome. Wonder if the siblings all look similiar?

I was also wondering about where he worked, if there was anything or anyone we should know about??

There are Collman's on FB as well. Uhm...

A quick update. I never heard back from the journalist so am in the process of making calls to Yorkville first before calling Kendall to see which jurisdicition is handling Marks case. And to ensure this special man is not forgotten and entered into the appropriate MP data bases at minimum.

A quick update. I never heard back from the journalist so am in the process of making calls to Yorkville first before calling Kendall to see which jurisdicition is handling Marks case. And to ensure this special man is not forgotten and entered into the appropriate MP data bases at minimum.

I wish we had more details of the circumstances surrounding the disappearance. We don't know when he was last seen alive and by who. Good questions about the car Cubby. I would like to know more about what Mark was like as a person as well.

So sad.

Email sent to Yorkville LE - Deputy Schwarzkopf with the information and links to NamUs, DoeNetwork and Charley Project. I'm still unsure if Marks case is being handled by Yorkville, or Kendall County. Deputy Schwarzkopf was in the field and unavailable yesterday and I was unable to make calls earlier today during his working hours. I'll follow up with him in a day or two if I don't hear back via email.

Hopefully we can get Marks case information entered into NamUs soon.

I'm still checking regularly to see if Meaghan has entered the information to Charley as Carl requested, but she posted for health reasons updates may be sporadic.

My timing is impeccible. It appears Deputy Schwartzkopf will be out of the office until October 7th, so tried Deputy Hilt who I was redirected to via voice mail. Sent an email to Deputy Hilt.

Will keep pluggin' away for this special man, to ensure he is not forgotten.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back