NC - Ammunition Missing from Ft Bragg

belimom

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes~M.Kuhn
Reaction score
That is really not much ammunition. My granddaughter (USAF) and her husband (Army) are at Ft. Bragg. He is an MP and just early this week had to go to the shooting range there and re-qualify.

Rest assured it will be either found or someone will be arrested for it.

Every military installation is on alert this weekend because of the 9/11 anniversary. I don't think the 14,000 rounds would be used in an attack, but I guess you never know.

MOO

They are missing 14,000 rounds that would fit in M-4 and M-16 assault rifles. That seems like an awful lot to me. My first thoughts were of the new 9/11 threats and how Fort Bragg is on the East Coast like Washington and NYC. Hope I'm wrong...

BBM:

Ft. Bragg is in Fayetteville, North Carolina.

BBM:

Ft. Bragg is in Fayetteville, North Carolina.

Right. Not that far of a drive to get to DC from there. About four or five hours straight up I-95. It's our halfway point when driving South to visit my family.

Right. Not that far of a drive to get to DC from there. About four or five hours straight up I-95. It's our halfway point when driving South to visit my family.

The other set of grandparents/greatgrandparents live in Springfield, Va., and my granddaughter and her husband go there for most holidays. My youngest daughter lives in Fredricksville, Va., and commutes into DC every weekday.

Yes, very close to DC! I think everything will be fine. The theft/misplacement will be solved, IMO.

I'm not alarmed to be honest. That's really not a lot of ammo. I know it sounds like a lot but it's really not. Like Lalaw stated above. It's scary and it sounds like a lot, but it's relatively small.

1. It might turn up. It might be located where it's not supposed to be and someone (s) didn't do their paperwork correctly and will be repremaded (harshly).

2. It might turn out to have been used and someone didn't do the paperwork trail wasn't completed as it should have been. Someone(s) will be repremanded (harshly).

(I've seen both scenario's happen more than once and for more than ammo).

3. Somebody has it. They will track them down. Somebody had to hand it off. That person when found will catch hello. But I see this as least likely.

My husband has been on lockdown numerous times in his career and a couple of times it was for days at a time. The items always showed up except once. That item was tracked finally to a soldier that came clean about "probably dumping it in the garbage" which initiated a landfill search whereby it was found about 2 weeks later. That person was processed out of the army.

Hope that helps to alleviate any fears? Just sharing.

I meant to say Fredricksburg, Va, in post #6; not Fredricksville!

:crazy:

While I understand that it can and does happen, this is a really bad time for it to have happened. You would have thought the military would have been doing their audits of ammo before this just in preparation for the 9/11 period.
And IMO it is a bit more suspicious considering that everyone knows that there is a heightened state of alertness and would be noticed quicker. Most theives wouldn't pick this time to steal the ammo. But a terrorist might.

That may not be a lot of ammo in terms of weapons. But it would be a lot if used in connection with some type of bombs.

I understand how you feel mysteriew.

The military doesn't do any particular audits for 9/11 that I know of. There are audits all the time. Each and every single bullet is accounted for on a regular basis.

So that's why I think someone screwed up their job or if it was handed off (because it would have had to either be active duty terrorist if this ammo is going to be used as terrorism mechanism or handed off and that can be easily found out by MI or CID).

There is a paperwork trail for every single weapon, ammo, equipment, and even the individual soldier.

I think they will get to the bottom of this. JMHO

Various bases have been having problems since 9/11 with this, it's just been kept quiet. Gangs have discovered infiltrating the military is fairly simple. Some no longer allow gang tats if someone with the possibility of enlisting joins their crew. Those who might be able to enlist are also shielded by the gang from prosecution if necessary. Their job once they enlist is to steal as many weapons & ordinates as possible and ship them back to their gangs. I suspect this may be the case here. (I have friends/relatives in LE--gang task force--and the military.)

That is very accurate Pandora. I agree. JMHO

I'm a worry wort so this concerns me. Especially with today being 9/11.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back