Toddlers smoking in Indonesia

belimom

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes~M.Kuhn
Reaction score
Parents are actually *giving* toddlers cigarettes... I almost put this in the 'Crimes - Spotlight on Children' section... :furious:

bbm

From Age 2 to 7: Why Are Children Smoking in Indonesia?

....Two-year-old Chairul likes to light up right after a nap. His grandfather says he allows Chairul to smoke because it tastes good, "like bread with chocolate." ....
"He sometimes smokes two packs a day," he said, though it appears Chairul does not inhale. Yet he puffs away, exposed to the smoke around him.

When warned about the health effects of cigarettes, Chairul's grandfather said: "If the boy doesn't smoke, he doesn't feel good." It's all right, he said, "as long as he drinks enough coffee with his cigarettes."

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/age-children-smoking-indonesia/story?id=14464140

what's new? not that i don't care but it's the norm in places like that. i've even seen videos they've recorded of the babies cause they think it's cute and cool and makes them happy. the mothers just sit there and do nothing while the guys stand around and laugh.

I've seen the videos and it makes me very sad. I want to think it's a matter of uneducated parents. I just can't think of any other reason the parents or family members would sit by and watch this happen!

MOO

Mel

I've seen the videos and it makes me very sad. I want to think it's a matter of uneducated parents. I just can't think of any other reason the parents or family members would sit by and watch this happen!

MOO

Mel

It's certainly an issue of education. I think we're talking about countries with poorly funded state education and well-funded ad campaigns by cigarette companies.

It's probably true, as the company claims, that they don't specifically advocate infants' smoking, but when there are no restrictions on the messages broadcast, it shouldn't surprise us if smoking is seen as a "harmless" pastime.

I can't even begin to imagine the effects of smoking on growing lungs.

Nor can I imagine the fire danger of allowing toddlers to use matches and cigarettes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back