NC - Terror in a small town: The Devil in Pew Number Seven

belimom

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes~M.Kuhn
Reaction score
I saw this story on CNN over the weekend, and ended up buying the Kindle edition of the book the daughter wrote. I finished it late last night. Highly recommended - very touching. What a terrible case...

CNN is covering the case in a 4-part series.

A little girl's memories stir questions about good and evil

....That little girl who saw her momma get killed, whose home was bombed over and over before the hail of bullets -- they remember her. She was the brave 8-year-old who testified against the killer. She's grown up now, living in suburban Nashville, and the author of The Book.....

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2011/terror.small.town/part1/index.html

t1larg.family.photo.courtesy.jpg

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2011/terror.small.town/part1/t1larg.family.photo.courtesy.jpg

I saw this on CNN as well. I had to then research the case because the internet series does not explain enough, at least the first chapter doesn't. I don't know all the details yet but i simply cannot understand how this man was able to torment this family, week after week, with no repercussions. Why didn't anyone try to stop him? Why didn't the congregation try to kick him out as he sat in the pew harassing the preacher during mass? I would be very, very upset if some creep loudly interrupted one of our priests during homily or any other time. That is a sacred time of spiritual reflection that was repeatedly ruined for everyone by a psycho.

And why did it take so long for the guy to be prosecuted? How did it even get that far, what with the bombings, dynamitings etc.

Also, he got six years for the crime and that's it? For murder? Crazy. That is one crazy, scary man. Very impressive that the daughter was able to forgive such a lunatic.

(snip)

Also, he got six years for the crime and that's it? For murder? Crazy. That is one crazy, scary man. Very impressive that the daughter was able to forgive such a lunatic.

I agree about no one stopping him. Awful, isn't it? If you read the book, you'll see why *he* didn't get more for the murder. He was convicted of the terror, received 15 years, but only sentenced to serving 5 (two concurrent 5-yr terms I guess the other 5 were suspended?). However, he was out in less than a year.

Thank you for posting this belimom. Rebecca is a very special and lovely person.

Columbus County, NC has had a reputation for corruption and 'the good ole boys' running the show for many years. I live 2 counties away. The most recent example of this involves a former senator (powerful man)and several young men who were former law clients. Google R.C.Soles/B.J. Wright/Allen Strickland for more info on this scandal.

I am not surprised that people in Columbus County still speak in whispers and hushed tones about Rebecca's story and 'the book'.

I look forward to part 3 tonight! Let us know your opinion of the book. I think I'm gonna ask Santa for a Kindle this year, lol!

MOO

wm

Thank you for posting this belimom. Rebecca is a very special and lovely person.

Columbus County, NC has had a reputation for corruption and 'the good ole boys' running the show for many years. I live 2 counties away. The most recent example of this involves a former senator (powerful man)and several young men who were former law clients. Google R.C.Soles/B.J. Wright/Allen Strickland for more info on this scandal.

I am not surprised that people in Columbus County still speak in whispers and hushed tones about Rebecca's story and 'the book'.

I look forward to part 3 tonight! Let us know your opinion of the book. I think I'm gonna ask Santa for a Kindle this year, lol!

MOO

wm

The book was really good - very good. Much more in the book than what is in the CNN article. Not only is it well written and riveting, but it's true - and to see Rebecca come out of this situation, prevailing over such evil is so touching. It should be a lesson to all of us on how to deal with anger/forgiveness... JMHO

I would love to hear her speak sometime.

By the way, I googled those names... Geez. I did know of Soles since he is mentioned in the book, but I didn't know about all of this other stuff. Thanks for mentioning it.

I missed the CNN series.
I have a kindle, what is the book called???

The book was really good - very good. Much more in the book than what is in the CNN article. Not only is it well written and riveting, but it's true - and to see Rebecca come out of this situation, prevailing over such evil is so touching. It should be a lesson to all of us on how to deal with anger/forgiveness... JMHO

I would love to hear her speak sometime.

By the way, I googled those names... Geez. I did know of Soles since he is mentioned in the book, but I didn't know about all of this other stuff. Thanks for mentioning it.

I would love to hear her speak too, belimom! Her humble nature and ability to forgive inspires me. I just read chapter three from the CNN article and am hooked. I will check Amazon for availability of the book.

OT
Here's a good link to an article about ole RC and his shenanigans with RC''s boys in Columbus County for those interested.

http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20110619/ARTICLES/110619655?p=1&tc=pg&tc=ar

The thing that intrigues me is that corruption by the powerful in CC has been documented for many years. Yet, I have never heard Rebecca's story! I wonder if the local news will cover this CNN news of her book?

MOO

wm

Thanks Belimom! I hit on your pix and went to amazon and just bought it!

Thanks Belimom! I hit on your pix and went to amazon and just bought it!

Be sure to post after you've read it... I couldn't put it down. What an awful experience, yet the book had a very "good" vibe to it. (ETA: by "good", I mean "positive"...)

Enjoyed the articles and the posts here. Look forward to reading the book.

I bought the book as soon as I saw the CNN article this weekend. I couldn't put it down.

I agree about no one stopping him. Awful, isn't it? If you read the book, you'll see why *he* didn't get more for the murder. He was convicted of the terror, received 15 years, but only sentenced to serving 5 (two concurrent 5-yr terms I guess the other 5 were suspended?). However, he was out in less than a year.

Okay, I read the third part of the CNN series. I get it now. But very frustrating that he served so little time for his torment of them. And what of all the people who could have connected him to more serious charges mysteriously dying? Wow. Incredible.

Sounds like an inspirational book, though. What spirits the preacher's kids have!

ETA: I think this story shows the risks involved in doing the right thing. i was thinking about that last night (unrelated to this story). I was thinking how I would love to provide assistance to those who come knocking on my door, needing help, but how dangerous that can be.

The Nichols stayed in that town and in that church despite the obvious risk and then harbored a scared woman and her child despite that risk as well. Things like that always make me question what I am willing to do for another, or for what is right, what risks I would be willing to take.

I just read the 4th (and final) segment on CNN.com. It includes an interview with the man who killed Ramona Nichols.

I just read part 4 and really liked it. I can't wait to order the book but must wait til payday, meh!

Watt's really was the devil incarnated! And Rebecca is a true inspiration!!!

wm

MOO

wm

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh: Hi Pal, I immediately thought about Columbus County and the corruption there. I have an entire folder on corruption in Columbus county and Brunswick County as well. I hate that I missed the special. Can it be found on line anywhere? I too want a Kindle from Santa...

:floorlaugh::floorlaugh: Hi Pal, I immediately thought about Columbus County and the corruption there. I have an entire folder on corruption in Columbus county and Brunswick County as well. I hate that I missed the special. Can it be found on line anywhere? I too want a Kindle from Santa...

It's not actually a TV special but an internet series on CNN.com. Here's the link for Part 1:

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2011/terror.small.town/part1/index.html

Do you live near there? Sounds like you have an interest in the area...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Back2theGardenAgain
Back