Angel Food Ministries Shutting down

lorann

Reaction score
I just read about this this morning, I know several people who have gotten this food - too bad for those who got help from this program. Spoiled by greed apparently.

Angel Food Ministries is going out of business after 17 years of providing discounted groceries to needy families across the country, citing the economic downturn affecting many of the organization's customers as its downfall.

Angel Food was started in 1994 by pastors Joe and Linda Wingo with 34 families in Monroe, Ga. At its height, the organization grew through a network of over 5,000 churches to feed more than 500,000 families a month in 45 states, including Georgia, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Illinois, New Jersey, California, Kentucky and Indiana.

The ministry ran into trouble in 2009 when the FBI searched its offices and questions were raised about Angel Food's finances. Board members and former employers also filed a lawsuit accusing the leadership of using the nonprofit as a moneymaking venture.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/ma...sbreak_angel_food_ministries_out_of_business/

This is sad, this program helped a lot of people who were in need. Now due to apparent greed of those behind the program, it will help no more.

This is sad, this program helped a lot of people who were in need. Now due to apparent greed of those behind the program, it will help no more.

The article said the reason behind the closure was the downturn in orders?

Wow ...I bought a package from them once .
It isn't the type of thing that you can pick and choose what is in your order and there are a variety of packages and prices .
This was before my surgeries and I volunteered at a food bank . Most people don't or didn't realize there are no income guidelines and it was open for anyone as you pay for your food,
Ours was ok but there were quite a few things in it my kids didn't like BUT my kids are very,very,very fussy eatters .

Wow ...I bought a package from them once .
It isn't the type of thing that you can pick and choose what is in your order and there are a variety of packages and prices .
This was before my surgeries and I volunteered at a food bank . Most people don't or didn't realize there are no income guidelines and it was open for anyone as you pay for your food,
Ours was ok but there were quite a few things in it my kids didn't like BUT my kids are very,very,very fussy eatters .

I looked into it a couple of times, since I have a large family, but the majority of the food was prepackaged junk that we don't eat. The fresh stuff, I could get cheaper/better elsewhere. So it would not have been beneficial for us. It is possible that over time, people were just unhappy with the quality/actual cost of the food, and stopped buying.

AWW :( when I was let go from my finance job in 2007, we used them for close to 6 months. They helped keep a roof over my head with the money I saved and even food we didn't like was better than none. This makes me very sad.

I read here it was closed due to the owners paying themselves a salary of 500,000. It is so sad to lose such a great program. I think it is horrible to cheat people

Goz

I had a friend who used them for several months. It was such a brilliant concept and so useful for those just over the line from being able to receive help with food.

:(

I'm so sad to hear this. I saw a news blip the other day that said the povery rate here in the USA is now at 15.1%.

The majority of those are children. The said the scientific term for it is food insecurity. That you might have enough food today but you don't know if you will have food tomorrow.

I knew people that used this program. It really helped them in their time of need.

It worries me for all the little babies that might go hungry now that this resource has been taken away.

Anyone remember the food stockpile program that gave away cheese and butter and other items? I wish that were available now for some people. It was govn. program. I had a friend that I would drive down so she could pick hers up because she had no car.

According to the site there are some of the vendors and some people that angel ministries employed trying to pull something together. I hope it works!

When my DH lost his job, and I made too much for food stamps (2000.00 a month, and our rent was 1200.00, go figure) I used Angel Food...and it kept my family fed. Just a couple of days ago a friend asked for their name from me to give to her daughter and grandkids. Too bad. Hopefully someone else will step up.

I checked Angel Food Ministries a few times, but most of the packages were items we'd usually never purchase.

I discovered the wonders of Aldi Grocery stores a few years back and wondered why it took me so long to start shopping there. They don't offer as much of a selection as the full grocers but they do offer a lot and I think the savings is comparible to the savings from Angel Food with a much better selection.

For those looking at alternatives at a savings this might be a place to check out. They don't take credit cards or checks, cash or debit only, but the savings is phenominal and the store brand is in many cases better than the name brand, imo.

http://www.aldi.us/index_ENU_HTML.htm

Anyone remember the food stockpile program that gave away cheese and butter and other items? I wish that were available now for some people. It was govn. program. I had a friend that I would drive down so she could pick hers up because she had no car.

Commodity cheese! My grandmother always had those huge blocks of it in the fridge. My recollection is that it was velveeta-like and kind of gluey, but I'd love to be able to have a slice of it on one of Grandma's homemade biscuits again.

I'm sad to hear the news about Angel Food Ministries. I did look into them a couple times, but it wasn't going to work for me for a few reasons. Aldi's is great, as Cubby as pointed out. So are local farmer's markets, especially for folks who have the ability/resources to buy local/seasonal produce in bulk and then preserve (I do my bit of freezing/canning/drying, although this year it's been a little harder for me to find the time to do so).

So sad, all around.
Abuse of well intentioned systems seems to abound these days. :(

People still need food.

Commodity cheese! My grandmother always had those huge blocks of it in the fridge. My recollection is that it was velveeta-like and kind of gluey, but I'd love to be able to have a slice of it on one of Grandma's homemade biscuits again.

I'm sad to hear the news about Angel Food Ministries. I did look into them a couple times, but it wasn't going to work for me for a few reasons. Aldi's is great, as Cubby as pointed out. So are local farmer's markets, especially for folks who have the ability/resources to buy local/seasonal produce in bulk and then preserve (I do my bit of freezing/canning/drying, although this year it's been a little harder for me to find the time to do so).

Nice post, ITA. I remember that cheese, and there were a few other things, too, flour maybe? At any rate, when my husband got laid off, and I was a stay-at-home mom, that cheese and whatever else came in mighty handy. I also agree about grandma's biscuits. I often wish I could taste some of my grandmother's food again.

I believe one of the problems in today's world is the fact that not many know or remember how to preserve food. A lot of food can be bought cheap, in season. I know, because I do it. I freeze it, can it, and dehydrate it. Some of it costs a small outlay to get started, but it pays for itself very quickly. We need someone to teach the younger generation how to take care of themselves. :cow:

When I was a kid, my grandparents used to get that cheese. Man, it made the best cheese and crackers and amazing grilled cheese sandwiches.

When I was a kid, my grandparents used to get that cheese. Man, it made the best cheese and crackers and amazing grilled cheese sandwiches.

Me too. My grandpa used to give some to us all the time. Those were the good old days.

Their FB page says they are starting up as a new Company w/ new people in charge.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back