GUILTY UK - Diamond Dwomoh, 10 mos, force-fed to death, London, March 2010

badhorsie

Mouth operational, brain elsewhere...
Reaction score
Website
ruralidyll.blogspot.com
The parents of a 10-month-old girl used a jug to force-feed her until she died, the Old Bailey has heard.

The baby was made to take solid foods, including meat and cereals, through a spout probably for months until her death in March 2010, jurors heard.

She collapsed and died from pneumonia caused by her airways being filled.

Her mother, 31, and father, 37, who lived in east London and cannot be named, deny allowing or causing the girl's death through force-feeding.

More at link

What I'll never understand is how 2 people participate in things like this. I mean, ok...one crazy parent? Not so far-fetched. But 2 crazy parents who do stuff like this together??? Where and how do these people find each other? I can promise you that if I ever did anything nutty my DH would have me away from the kids in a New York minute!

What I'll never understand is how 2 people participate in things like this. I mean, ok...one crazy parent? Not so far-fetched. But 2 crazy parents who do stuff like this together??? Where and how do these people find each other? I can promise you that if I ever did anything nutty my DH would have me away from the kids in a New York minute!

Amen! It's rare to have 2 nutty parents - poor kids :( I can't imagine, and am so sorry for these children.

Mel

folie à deux, fancy French name for a shared psychosis.
I feel enraged that they had been warned not to force feed in the past, if there was any question that they were doing this in the past then where was the risk assessment?

:sigh:

ETA They likely aren't psychotic

OMG and the mother is a nurse..... I'm horrified!!

Crazies attract each other like magnets and the two can egg each other on.

It's the same kind of cruelty to starve a child or force feed them to death.

To not see the skin and bones and sunken eyes, or to "understand" the choking and struggling.

It's all the same cruelty, all the same sickness.

A mother has been found guilty of force-feeding her baby until she died.

Gloria Dwomoh, a 31-year-old nurse from Walthamstow, east London, was convicted of allowing or causing the death. The child's father, 37, has been acquitted of the charge.

The 10-month-old, named at the Old Bailey as Diamond, was forced to take solid foods from the age of six months until she died in March 2010.

More at link
including the interesting fact that the baby's father is not named

The jug was rigged so that food would continue to be poured down the baby's throat??!!

What is the matter with these people??!!

Idiots!!! Gosh, what other word can we use . . . just plain dumb & stupid & lazy @$$!

_55996003_55996002.jpg

Dwomoh told the court she made up feeds, including liquidised chicken soup . . . She said she was trying "to give her nutrients rather than milk" -- told the court that she and her siblings had been fed the same way by her mother in Ghana.

wow

_55996003_55996002.jpg

Vacant eyes with almost a hint of a smile. Creepy.

When I read the first post, before I clicked on any link or scrolled down, I thought to myself: immigrant from Africa.

Why? Because that's how they feed babies in Africa, when there is meat. It's a tribal thing, to give soups and "liquidized" meat to children, because breast feeding, especially in the poor areas, will draw the mother down to emaciation. They are often weaned early (from the breast), and put onto meat and grain very, very early.

As for her being a nurse, I look at the cultural thing. While I agree it was totally and completely wrong, the cultural aspect (it's what her mother did for her and her siblings; and likely what she saw others doing with their infants) is a very strong one. Ghana is an exceptionally poor country, and breast feeding is a very culturally linked activity; like I said above, breast feeding can be hard on the mother, and moving the child as quickly as possible to solids will allow mother to keep those calories to herself, and/or return to work (whatever that work may be).

And as a nurse, let me be clear when I say that there are a lot of 'levels' of nursing; CNA (certified nursing assistant), LVN (licensed vocational nursing), RN (registered nursing), BN (Bachelors of (registered) nursing) on up to Dr. Nurse.

Each level is a trained position, but each level has increasing responsibilities, and each level has different specialties. For example, I'm intending to go into the ER; I know just about nothing about babies, other than what I was taught in school and learned during a short rotation on Partum and Peds. Each area have specialty education, too. I will say that very, very little nutrition education is given to students (at least in my school)...and we are taught to respect cultural differences.

I am so sorry Diamond died. I am not happy with the mother's actions, but I'm also not sure it's "murder"...or even, in her mind, abuse (but it is in my mind). I think it's a fair bet to say that the mother is not quite as disturbed as some might think, but is definitely suffering from cultural issues.

Best-
Herding Cats

The way the media has written this is confusing IMO. They infer it is related to the child being given solids. But at 6 months, most kids are started on solid foods. That wasn't the problem.

The problem is giving the food through a "jug." With a bottle, when the baby stops sucking, the mild flow stops. When giving solids with a spoon, when the baby stops opening it's mouth it stops taking food in. With the spout the baby was forced to take more, whether it wanted it or even whether it was ready for it or not.

When first giving solid food (by spoon) you have to go slow and watch for choking. By using a "spout" that ability is taken away. Baby probably isn't coordinated enough to have learned to use it's tongue to block the food from going down it's throat. And if it begins choking, more food was going out of the spout into the throat.

Sounds a lot like water boarding, except the nose is kept clear.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back