In Tuscany, in the witches' graveyard....

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Daily Mail has it covered....

A grisly end: 800-year-old remains of witch discovered in Italian graveyard… with seven nails driven through her jaw

---
The grim discovery was made during a dig on what is thought to be a 'witches graveyard' after another woman's skeleton was found surrounded by 17 dice - a game which women were forbidden from playing 800 years ago.

Experts say they believe the women are aged around 25 - 30 years old and were found buried in a simple shallow grave in the ground with no coffin or shroud.

The macabre remains were found during a dig close to the sea at Piombino near Lucca in Italy's Tuscany region and the woman had seven nails through her jaw as well as another 13 nails surrounding her skeleton.
---
And, furthermore....
---
The second skeleton we have found was buried in a similar fashion but this time we found 17 dice around her - 17 is an unlucky number in Italy and also dice was a game that women were forbidden to play.

'The way the bodies were buried would seem to indicate some form of exorcist ritual and the remains will be examined to see if we can establish a cause of death for them.'
---
the rest of it, with pictures, at link above

I love odd customs, this one is particularly fun to me. I worked for a Greek family once that had many odd superstitions, I would ask them what they were for, they would tell me. I found it all groovy. In fact, the family did too, I was the only employee they did not fire in the 7 years I was there. Lol.

To keep with the "Halloween" feel to this article, here is another snip from it:

"Two years ago a Medieval woman's skull was found near Venice with a stone driven through its mouth - which experts said was the traditional way of dealing with vampires and preventing them from rising from the dead."

The pic shows the stone in the mouth, so cool.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10
Back