FL - Sex offender who was released into the woods has cut his monitor and fled

belimom

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes~M.Kuhn
Reaction score
This is absolutely maddening. He had nowhere to go so they released him under a crooked tree? Told him to meet back up for his curfew at 7:00pm? And he hadn't even registered as a sex offender yet?

bbm

DOC: Sexual offender had nowhere else to go

EASTPOINT — Florida Department of Corrections officials said Wednesday their decision to release a high-risk sexual predator into the woods outside Eastpoint on Saturday afternoon was prompted by an absence of other options.

Norman Bill Williams, 56, left by state probation officials to camp on state land off Bear Creek Road, soon slipped off his ankle bracelet and absconded.

(snip)

“If someone has a conditional release and they worried about him absconding, why would you release him to somewhere where there is no physical address?” he said. “Why not one of the conditions be you have to have a permanent address or a sponsor before we can release you? Why not send him to a halfway house?

(snip)

Norred said state probation officials had the option of registering Williams as a sexual predator when they attached his ankle bracelet. Instead, they afforded him the 48 hours that sexual offenders are allowed until they must register at an approved site, which can include a sheriff’s office, with their probation officer or even at a driver’s license station.

“They could have asked us to register him when they brought him up here but they didn’t,” Norred said. “They could have done it the day they walked him out of the gate.”

Read more: http://www.newsherald.com/articles/eastpoint-97226-else-nowhere.html#ixzz1ZRGiIbY0

This just makes me furious. If there are so few areas that they are allowed to live, then let's create an area that is identifiable as "approved" and request them to live there unless they can find an alternate that is acceptable. You don't just turn them lose in a community with no way to track them. Grrrrrr!!!!!

There is just so much wrong with this. There are a lot more details on the conditions of his release in the article belimon posted above.

Here is a link the the Florida LE flyer on the monster:
http://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/offender/flyer.do?personId=51306

Victim under 12...

This is just unbelievable!!! And DOC can't even get it correct on the LE flier what his charge was!

From the link:

794.011(2)(b) Person Under 18 Commits Sexual Battery Upon Or Injures Sexual Organs Of A Victim Less Than 12

The article in the OP says there are 99 RSOs in the state that can't find homes. That number is lower than I had thought. And, it's news to me that they can't live within a certain distance of a McDonalds???

This just makes me furious. If there are so few areas that they are allowed to live, then let's create an area that is identifiable as "approved" and request them to live there unless they can find an alternate that is acceptable. You don't just turn them lose in a community with no way to track them. Grrrrrr!!!!!

This is what ended up happening in Miami a few years back. Basically, many RSOs living "homeless" on one of the islands outside downtown.

Julia Tuttle Causeway sex offender colony - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And he has a cute little puppy dog tattoo on his neck to provide a conversation starter to small children. Note though, which end of that puppy is in the air (and hind legs splayed out). Other sex offenders recognize each other by their tatts if they have them. Some even have tattoos of babies or children (usually of their preferred age victims). The perp can say to a potential victim..."See, I like kids, I even have a tattoo of one, wanna' see?" as a means of starting a conversation and also as a means of making a child more comfortable and trusting so they let their guard down.

And he has a cute little puppy dog tattoo on his neck to provide a conversation starter to small children. Note though, which end of that puppy is in the air (and hind legs splayed out). Other sex offenders recognize each other by their tatts if they have them. Some even have tattoos of babies or children (usually of their preferred age victims). The perp can say to a potential victim..."See, I like kids, I even have a tattoo of one, wanna' see?" as a means of starting a conversation and also as a means of making a child more comfortable and trusting so they let their guard down.

I think I'm gonna be sick...

This is absolutely maddening. He had nowhere to go so they released him under a crooked tree? Told him to meet back up for his curfew at 7:00pm? And he hadn't even registered as a sex offender yet?

bbm

They ought to now be able to hunt him down and shoot him like the animal he is.

*No offense to innocent animals

The way I see it, when they release anyone, but especially sex offenders from prison with no where to go, and they don't civilly commit them or stick them in a halfway house, the correctional system is assisting them in the commission of a future crime. Homelessness leads to vagrancy and vagrancy is a crime in most areas. Yes, it's a little tiny crime that is hardly ever prosecuted, but it's still a crime. Also, if you release anyone, any person, into the woods with no shelter, way to feed themselves, or means to survive, that person is going to do whatever is needed in order for them to survive. And for a guy like this, if he genuinely has no one to turn to, there is no need for him to even try to suppress his urges when it comes to kids. If he reoffends and gets caught, he'll have food, clothing, shelter, and cable again.

So, our so called rehabilitation system is to lock people up, provide everything for them, then throw them out into the world with no monitoring or assistance (not that sex offenders deserve assistance, but some other convicts might) and no reason not to reoffend, in fact they might need to in order to stay alive. This is how we attempt to fix society's problems. I wonder why it's not working.

NMK------I so agree with everything you have posted. I am still furious. I am saying prayers for understanding and patience because I have none

Would a monitor even work out in the woods? I know they have battery backup, but don't they have to have electric most of the time? How long would a battery last and how would they recharge it?

It kinda sounds to me like they "didn't have any other options they liked" and so turned him loose just hoping he would run to another jurisdiction.

Other departments around there should take note of this. Cause if he ends up in their jurisdiction, the guy could become their problem.

This just makes me crazy!!!
As if one that lives in 4 walls isn't dangerous enough ! How about one living NOWHERE with NOTHING to lose !
UGHHHHHHHH

Would a monitor even work out in the woods? (...snipped ....)

My cell does not, except along Hwy98 that follows the coast. I took a little photo safari through Appalachicola Forest (Gary Michael Hilton) & Tate's Hell last month. A large part of Franklin County is national forest, Eastpoint is a tiny town on the bay, very depressed area, population about 2000, oystermen & shrimpers are the main "industries". Appalachicola, a better known "touristy" town is across the bay & St George Island (high $ beach homes) is just offshore.

I'm not really suprised that this happened in Eastpoint.... angry, but not really suprised.

We recently had a guy in Upper Darby who was released to a park bench. A flippin park. Where do kids go? Superintendent Michael Chitwood was so angry he had asked if they had named exactly what bench it was.

Thanks to that guy and irate citizens they are trying to have a law passed where they MUST have a brick and mortor residence.

Once again folks we can't trust the Justice System to protect our kids or us for that matter. Once again we'll have to remind all the parents out there who allow their kids to roam free because they are told to avoid "such and such an addy and Mr. Jones" that they showed them on the computer that ummmmmmmmmm they have vehicles and they are out and about and not just sitting in the house 24/7.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back