Jon Stewart is mad at Seth MacFarlane for Family Guy joke.

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrcOge6pMhg"]Seth MacFarlane's problem with Jon Stewart - YouTube[/ame]

I thought I'd seen every episode of Family Guy. Do any Family Guy fans remember this? What episode is it from?

I could not determine which episode it was . . . and I, too, thought I've seen everyone of them. Something about the writer's strike?

Love the Family Guy!!! Brian the Dog is just a riot. And Stewie Gilligan Griffith is too funny. It's a humor not everyone gets.

okay -- a few things I found:

When asked, You mock celebrities so often on your show. Do you ever get any kickback from these people? MacFarlane replied:

"There was a very inside joke on Family Guy referring to the fact that he (Jon Stewart) was working before the writers' strike was over. It was admittedly a very direct middle finger of a joke, which I don't discount. But he called and was very angry about it. The call lasted an hour. It was pretty amazing. He's a very good debater, I'll tell you that. It was fascinating to me that it went on for so long." from http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1844711,00.html

and

In the episode "No Meals on Wheels" Mort is afraid of Peter's "scarejew" made in the likeness of Adolf Hitler and exclaims that Jon Stewart needs to be saved (the favorite Jew). from http://familyguy.wikia.com/wiki/Mort_Goldman

I know about the Mort one but I'd like to know what the specific joke about Stewart was. He said it was an inside joke so it may have passed over my head.

The strike started on 11/5/2007 & concluded on 2/12/2008. The offending FG episode had to come sometime after that. MacFarlane talks about the infamous phone call in an interview with TIME on 9/26/2008. So the episode must have been aired sometime between 2/12 - 9/26/2008: ONLY one of four episodes;

* Season 6, Episode 9 - Back to the Woods - 2/17/2008
* Season 6, Episode 10 - Play It Again, Brian - 3/2/2008
* Season 6, Episode 11 - Former Life of Brian - 4/27/2008
* Season 6, Episode 12 - Long John Peter - 5/4/2008

found this too: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111005163004AAHWzh3

I know what episodes I'm re-watching this week -- probably the entire Season 6 (LOL). I don't have TV anymore, so I watch what I want to watch when I want to watch it (tongue twister).

The strike started on 11/5/2007 & concluded on 2/12/2008. The offending FG episode had to come sometime after that. MacFarlane talks about the infamous phone call in an interview with TIME on 9/26/2008. So the episode must have been aired sometime between 2/12 - 9/26/2008: ONLY one of four episodes;

* Season 6, Episode 9 - Back to the Woods - 2/17/2008
* Season 6, Episode 10 - Play It Again, Brian - 3/2/2008
* Season 6, Episode 11 - Former Life of Brian - 4/27/2008
* Season 6, Episode 12 - Long John Peter - 5/4/2008

found this too: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111005163004AAHWzh3

I know what episodes I'm re-watching this week -- probably the entire Season 6 (LOL). I don't have TV anymore, so I watch what I want to watch when I want to watch it (tongue twister).

Good Sleuthing! I don't own the DVD's but if I see one of those being run on TV I get I'll record it.

If you figure it out let me know. TIA

Wow! Now that's a battle of wits! I'm a big Jon Stewart fan ... not so much Family Guy with a 12 year old around ;) Seth MacFarlane is amazing though! So talented!

I love Family Guy and all the Jewish joke! I get to laugh at them because I am ethnically Jewish (I don't practice).

Here are some theories I came across while checking the internet. If this isn't cool to do then please remove it mods.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111005163004AAHWzh3

In Play It Again Brian, Nathan Lane features. Nathan Lane was on the Daily Show, and a.o. they talked about saving lobsters, which is what brian and louis do in the episode. Funny coincedences.

Maybe this part of the show?

P: Hey, uh...
Lois told me there was
some funny business.
B: Yeah, what of it?
P: Well, it's just...
I can't help but feel a little betrayed, Brian.
Lois is my wife, and... well, I mean,
all the dry food I've bought
for you over the years?
B:Yeah, well, you don't deserve her, you know that?
P: Say what, now?
B: You don't deserve her.
She does nothing but give and give and give,
and you repay her
with selfishness and neglect.
I mean, you've barely spent
any time with her at all on this vacation.
P: Well, who the hell are you to
tell me how to run my marriage?

It has to be "Play It Again Brian"
I think part of the whole thing with "the writers conference" up in Maratha's vineyard and Brian was debating betraying his best friend Peter by trying to hook up with his Lois... Kinda like betraying his writers and "hooking up with the audience" if that makes sense... And then Brian said "i am a rapist, i am no better than Kobe Bryant or Mike Tyson or Reagan" which could be saying that Jon Stewart's betrayal of the writers's guild is akin to rape... (which is why Seth says he went way way toooo far)

Could it be the commercial for Lasik Eye Centers from "Back to the Woods"? It makes it clear the doctor is Jewish as is Stewart, and then says "Come on down to the Hydrox Arena. Get your eyesight fixed, unless you don't have the balls." when they show the doctor on screen. Maybe the Arena is a reference to the places like the LA Convention Center where picketing was going on during the strike? That's my guess at the moment.

i think i figured it out. at the very end of "long john peter," that season's finale, chris hits brian with a chair in order to have an excuse to go back to the veterinarian to win anna back. after they leave, brian is lying bloody and beaten on the floor. the very last line is brian saying, "okay, somebody really needs to help me here," followed by stewie running in and kicking him in the balls. i think "stewie" is meant to represent jon "stewart," and brian is meant to represent the writers guild.

It is in "Former Life of Brian" when Brian's son comes to the door and has a letter that asks Brian to recommend his ex-girl for university of phoenix. Brian says, "No, no, I'm not going to put myself on the line like that."

you can tell its that because its a bit off-key and from left field like most inside jokes tend to be.

I love them both-- but, MacFarlane looks like Peter Brady, so he's got that going for him. :)

Okay, I watched an episode a few days ago and there was a Jon Stewart joke:

Peter made a "Scare-Jew"...a parody of a "Scarecrow" to scare away their neighbor, who was Jewish. It looked just like Hitler. The neighbor saw it, and ran away screaming: "It's Hitler! He's back! Someone protect Jon Stewart---he's our most important Jew!"

It wasn't any of the episodes that Steely Dan posted above though, so this probably isn't it.

Okay, I watched an episode a few days ago and there was a Jon Stewart joke:

Peter made a "Scare-Jew"...a parody of a "Scarecrow" to scare away their neighbor, who was Jewish. It looked just like Hitler. The neighbor saw it, and ran away screaming: "It's Hitler! He's back! Someone protect Jon Stewart---he's our most important Jew!"

It wasn't any of the episodes that Steely Dan posted above though, so this probably isn't it.

Yeah, that's been mentioned, but it doesn't fit the timeline. Also I can't see John Stewart being upset about that. I wonder if that episode aired before or after their fight?

Whah.........

Jon has made plenty of jokes about people and I bet they didn't call him and debate for an hour. Spare me......

I don't know anything but what McFarland discusses in the clip linked above.

But two union members debating--even intensely--their ethical obligations during a strike is hardly unusual.

I don't know anything but what McFarland discusses in the clip linked above.

But two union members debating--even intensely--their ethical obligations during a strike is hardly unusual.

This debate happened well after the strike was settled. IIRC, it takes about 9 months for a Family Guy episode to go from writing and drawing to air. The four episodes cited are one of the four possibilities.

The debate/verbal fight happened because Jon Stewart went back on the air before the writers strike ended. So Macfarlane and his writers threw in a "joke" about Stewart betraying his writers. Evidently Stewart saw it and became enraged.

This debate happened well after the strike was settled. IIRC, it takes about 9 months for a Family Guy episode to go from writing and drawing to air. The four episodes cited are one of the four possibilities.

The debate/verbal fight happened because Jon Stewart went back on the air before the writers strike ended. So Macfarlane and his writers threw in a "joke" about Stewart betraying his writers. Evidently Stewart saw it and became enraged.

ETA: THIS ENTIRE POST REFLECTS MY MISUNDERSTANDING OF THE ISSUES. SEE NEXT POST BELOW...

Were they back "on the air" or were they broadcasting on the web? I thought McFarland said the latter in your link above.

Joss Whedon made the excellent web musical, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, during the strike and I haven't heard anyone criticizing him.

I suspect (can't prove) in both cases the writers were paid for their work. So the ethical question is whether it is better to have a total entertainment blackout and thus drum up more public support for getting the writers back to their on-air jobs, or whether it is better to employ unemployed writers in another medium to help tide them over during the strike.

As you can see, there are legitimate ethical arguments to be made for both positions. (And to be clear, I am speculating because all I know about this issue comes from this thread.)

Okay, never mind. I'm completely off-base. Per this site, the issue was that The Daily Show ran reruns during the strike. Stewart did not air new episodes without the striking writers.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/seth-macfarlane-jon-stewart-piers-morgan-244490

ETA: Meanwhile, this site claims The Daily Show went live during the strike:

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-10-05/...farlane-american-dad-family-guy?_s=PM:SHOWBIZ

ETA2: Okay, now I've read 10 sites and have no more info than I had before. I guess I'll wait until Steely Dan figures it out for us. Thanks in advance, Dan!

Okay, never mind. I'm completely off-base. Per this site, the issue was that The Daily Show ran reruns during the strike. Stewart did not air new episodes without the striking writers.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/seth-macfarlane-jon-stewart-piers-morgan-244490

ETA: Meanwhile, this site claims The Daily Show went live during the strike:

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-10-05/...farlane-american-dad-family-guy?_s=PM:SHOWBIZ

ETA2: Okay, now I've read 10 sites and have no more info than I had before. I guess I'll wait until Steely Dan figures it out for us. Thanks in advance, Dan!

Stewart went on the air without writers but ridiculed the networks for not settling.

Interestingly, OT, David Letterman owns his show so he was free to settle with the strikers early. He paid his entire staff during the strike and was the first to settle, IIRC. Basically he said what do you guys want. They told him and he said ok.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back