120 lbs
Hair Color:
Sandy
Eye Color:
Brown
Race:
White
Identifying Characteristics:
Ears pierced, scar with discoloration underneath nose, surgical scars on abdomen from Hysterectomy surgery.
Clothing/Jewelry:
Diamond ring (description not available).
Circumstances of Disappearance:
Unknown. Pamela dropped her mother off at her residence at approximately 6:00 p.m. Pamela's vehicle was located at her own residence.

S.D. Division of Criminal Investigation: 605-882-5099

Case #:

NCIC #:
M-092086340

NCMA Page:
Pamela Jean Dunn

As the POI is in jail for a very long time, I don't believe there is any danger to Pamela in posting the above, if it is indeed her.

I have sent an email to SD Division of Criminal Investigation. Will post if I hear anything back.

I have come across this site and feel the need to post that the picture above is NOT Pam Dunn. Pam is my aunt. She is still missing and we hope every day that she is found.

I have come across this site and feel the need to post that the picture above is NOT Pam Dunn. Pam is my aunt. She is still missing and we hope every day that she is found.

Thank you PSU_DNJ and welcome to Websleuths. I'm sorry it is under the circumstances.

Current NAMUS: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Original
Original

NOV 5, 2020
Watertown cold case: ‘We need this closure’ | KELOLAND.com
[...]

On Wednesday, crews excavated a well at an abandoned farm in Deuel County.

Many of the remains that were discovered were animal.

However, the Deuel County Sheriff’s Office says some are in question, and they’ll be analyzed to find out if they belonged to a human or not.

[...]

Three years ago, authorities searched the same well with a vacuum truck and found human hair, but it was too degraded for DNA typing.

In 2006, a jury found Dunn’s ex-boyfriend David Asmussen guilty of kidnapping.

He’s serving a life sentence for the crime.

Remains in South Dakota well are not those of missing woman

WATERTOWN, S.D. — Authorities said Monday that the remains removed from an abandoned well in Deuel County, S.D. in early November are not those of a missing woman — and are not human at all.

Deuel County Sheriff Cory Borg said the remains were identified as belonging to an immature hoofed animal, probably a deer or cattle, the Aberdeen American News reported.

The bones were found Nov. 3 as part of an investigation into the 2001 disappearance of Pamela Dunn, after a Deuel County resident gave authorities a lead that led them to dig up the well north of Clear Lake.

"We will continue the search for Pamela and follow up on any leads," Bord said. Anyone with information is asked to call Watertown police.

Dunn's ex-boyfriend, David Asmussen, is serving a life sentence in prison after he was convicted of kidnapping her. However, prosecutors say no homicide charges have been filed because a body was never found.

Pamela Jean Dunn – The Charley Project

Last updated June 28, 2021; two pictures added, details of disappearance updated.

Pamela Jean Dunn
  • pamela_jean_dunn_1.jpg
  • pamela_jean_dunn_2.jpg

• dunn_pamela4.jpg
  • dunn_pamela5.jpg
  • dunn_pamela_asmussen.jpg

Details of Disappearance
Dunn was last seen by her mother, whom she dropped off at her residence in Watertown, South Dakota at 6:00 p.m. on December 9, 2001. At 8:00 p.m., Dunn's daughter called her and Dunn mentioned that her own ex-boyfriend, David Asmussen, was her house.

At 11:00 p.m., Dunn told her mother on the phone that David Asmussen had called her and she was upset. She has never been heard from again. She was missed after she failed to show up for work on December 1 . Dunn's car was found at her own residence. Her home was locked and her purse and keys were on the table.

Foul play may have been involved in Dunn's disappearance. Her relationship with Asmussen was troubled and she got an order of protection against him after she began seeing another man. The order prohibited Asmussen from contacting Dunn in any way, but after it was implemented he called her at least 17 times in less than two weeks and left at least three threatening messages.

A photo of Asmussen is posted with this case summary. He admitted he was at Dunn's house the day she disappeared, and he is believed to have been the last person to see her before she went missing. He was, however convicted of stalking Dunn and violating a protection order after she vanished and sentenced to 40 months in prison. He appealed, but the conviction was upheld.

On the very same day the appeals court ruled against Asmussen, he was charged with kidnapping Dunn. The charges alleged he abducted Dunn to facilitate aggravated assault or stalking and/or to terrorize her. Authorities stated the charges came about due to the recent discovery of new evidence. Asmussen was convicted of kidnapping in 2007 and sentenced to life in prison.

Dunn may have traveled to Florida after her disappearance. Her body has not been found and Asmussen has not been charged with causing her death, but foul play is suspected in her disappearance due to the circumstances involved.

PAMELA DUNN

1659472500296.jpg

Missing Since 12/9/2001​

Age Missing: 38
Age Current: 58
Agency: Watertown Police Dept
Phone: 605-882-6210
Race: White
Sex: Female
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Blond or Strawberry
Height: 5'2"