Grand Jury Subpoena MEDIA VIDEOS

JBean

Retired WS Administrator
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on this development?

KCTV5 receives grand jury subpoena in search for baby Lisa

BERTY, MO (KCTV) -
The Clay County Prosecutor's Office has served a grand jury subpoena on KCTV5 as part of the investigation into the disappearance of baby Lisa Irwin.
KCTV received the subpoena late Monday afternoon. Prosecutors asked KCTV5 for "all footage, including raw footage of any interviews or statements given by neighbors, family or friends of the family, regarding missing baby Lisa Irwin."

http://www.kctv5.com/story/15661276/kctv5-receives-subpoeana-in-search-for-baby-lisa

Adding information regarding West Virginia's laws protecting journalistic privilege to shed some light on the purpose of a grand jury subpoena to obtain the raw video.

A new shield law went into effect on June 10, 2011.

West Virginia acting governor signs reporter shield law
The measure provides journalists with a nearly absolute reporter’s privilege to refuse to disclose the identity of confidential sources, and documents or other information that could identify confidential sources, in civil, criminal, administrative and grand jury proceedings. A court may compel disclosure of such information only if “necessary to prevent imminent death, serious bodily injury or unjust incarceration.”

http://www.rcfp.org/newsitems/index.php?i=11810

The shield law protects a journalist's right to withhold confidential information. An earlier state supreme court ruling in Hudok v. Henry extends that protection to a reporter's newsgathering material.

To protect the important public interest of reporters in their news-gathering functions under the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, disclosure of a reporter's confidential sources or news-gathering materials may not be compelled except upon a clear and specific showing that the information is highly material and relevant, necessary or critical to the maintenance of the claim, and not obtainable from other available sources.

Hudok, 182 W. Va. 500, 389 S.E.2d 188. We further adopted "the general rule . . . that a qualified First Amendment privilege is available to the news-gathering material whether confidential, published, or not published." 182 W. Va. at 505, 389 S.E.2d at 193.

http://www.state.wv.us/wvsca/docs\spring97\23873.htm

A Clay County grand jury issued subpoenas Monday to all the local network TV affiliates, requesting any raw footage of interviews with missing infant Lisa Irwin’s family, friends or neighbors.

At the urging of police, the prosecutor’s office requested the subpoenas of an existing grand jury, a source said.

KCTV-5, The Star’s reporting partner, reported it had received the subpoena, as did WDAF, KMBC and KSHB.

The subpoena orders at least two of the stations to appear at 9 a.m. Oct. 18. It is unclear whether the stations would comply. KCTV said it was consulting with its attorney.

Read more: http://www.kansascity.com/2011/10/10/3199501/clay-county-grand-jury-subpoenas.html#ixzz1aRYkj23L

wonder if national media outlets got the shout out as well? Since family allegedly and reportedly had a deal with them

wow that's really unusual isnt it? or do we perhaps not often hear of it when it happens?

If a grand jury is issuing subpoenas, does that mean they are preparing to charge somebody?

What exactly is LE looking for in these videos? Has national media also received a subpoena or just local media? I'd like to use this thread to gather the videos we've seen thus far and try to determine exactly what LE might be looking for.
This is the first video where Jeremy & Debbie discuss what took place when Jeremy got home, it's also the video in which the cell phones were first mentioned.
http://www.kctv5.com/video?clipId=6323797&autostart=true

If a grand jury is issuing subpoenas, does that mean they are preparing to charge somebody?

These are subpoena's to request that the local stations release raw footage of interviews to LE.

The article says they used an existing grand jury. IMHO this is different than bringing evidence before a GJ and asking them to eval whether or not there is sufficient evidence to charge an individual(s) of a crime(s).

Bessie provided a very good post about the laws protecting reporters. Perhaps this is standard procedure in that state when requesting footage or sources?

I think the fact they are asking for raw footage is interesting but I can't quite put my finger on exactly why, how and what yet. But raw footage is quite different than edited footage of interviews we've seen on TV KWIM?

This is very interesting (not saying that to be coy, I really find it interesting). :)

All JMHO

Ths is very interesting, and quick. I'm not quite sure what to make of it, but I hope it leads to the recovery of baby Lisa.

MOO

Mel

My first reaction would be that LE is clueless and they think they may find some answers through the footage.
My second guess would be that they want to see if neighbors/family are giving conflicting stories.

Very odd development...

Isn't it common for perps to return to the scene of the crime, and even get involved in the searches? Maybe they are looking for folks in the background of the interviews and Raw footage for bystanders who should be investigated thoroughly. Just this summer the suspect in the Breanne Rodriguez case participated in the searches and stood outside with neighbors discussing the case. (in my own experience, my murdered school mate's case, the murderer also did media interviews and chatted with neighbors before his eventual arrest). I would think this would potentially be part of leaving no stone unturned.

Isn't it common for perps to return to the scene of the crime, and even get involved in the searches? Maybe they are looking for folks in the background of the interviews and Raw footage for bystanders who should be investigated thoroughly. (respectively snipped) I would think this would potentially be part of leaving no stone unturned.

I had the same thought when I heard about the subpoena. They want to view the raw footage for certain people lurking in the background.

Not necessarily. Grand juries are investigative entities. Handing down indictments is one thing they do, but they are also used to investigate and question witnesses. The person/persons being investigated are called 'targets'.

Grand jurors are sworn to secrecy for LIFE unlike trial juries, who can discuss the trial they served on after it's conclusion.

I can't tell you how I know this stuff. :innocent:

It makes sense to me that LE would want to collect all this footage from the stations themselves rather than comb through Google to find it, or even our WS vault. And it also makes sense that they NEED to view it all too, certainly to contrast and compare what people have said over the past week since Lisa has been missing. That will be painstaking for the officer/officers who are assigned to that task, but I think they absolutley have to do it if they are indeed leaving no stone unturned. Good for them.

If le ever finds cause or evidence pointing to an individual this footage may come in handy if the person was stupid enough to let himself or herself be shown on camera. time will tell I guess.

Of course I have no idea what LE is looking for but anything that leads to baby Lisa and whoever 'took' her is fine with me.

My heart is still breaking as I read todays post here. :(

imo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie