Father Outraged Over Body Suspension Artists in Backyard

belimom

Speak the truth even if your voice shakes~M.Kuhn
Reaction score
This is absolutely horrific. People hooking themselves and being suspended in the air? Real hooks and blood? And all for the neighbors to see. I'd be more than outraged.

Father Outraged Over Body Suspension Artists in Backyard

Shane Shields can't tell you exactly why, but he gets a rush out of being pierced through the skin with thick hooks and hanging by ropes in the air – a fringe art known as body suspension.

The 29-year-old body modification artist runs a licensed tattoo facility as a day job, but on weekends, he joins other body suspension enthusiasts in a Springfield, Mo., backyard.

But one neighbor insists that Shields and his fellow body artists are traumatizing his children and has pledged to ban the practice so young onlookers don't have to hear the screams and see bodies drenched in blood.

More: http://abcnews.go.com/Health/bloody...field-missouri-neighborhood/story?id=14730530

Oh I am so with this man. It's horrific.

My very own DD hangs with people that do this. They practice in woods though I believe. I saw photos on line and immediately freaked out. Alot of this goes hand in hand with fire spinning and fire eating and even burlesque stuff they do.

Man, they stick hooks in their flippin back and then get suspended in trees. I'd fume if someone did that where my kid would see it. Heck now I have a kid (grown) that is into "performance art" herself. Not this supension stuff though.

OMG Criss Angel did this on his TV show. The hook has to go behind the muscle or the skin will rip! :sick:

I have a good friend that does this... She & her group get hired by clubs & venues. I know that they wouldn't perform in some random backyard because they want a controled environment.

I don't care what people want to do to themselves as consenting adults... I just don't want to have to be subjected to it, if I don't have to be (let alone my little girl).

Those asteroids are way overdue. *looks at watch* :crazy:

:floorlaugh:It'll miss the performance artists you just watch.

Somehow I am frighteningly compelled to look for more photos of this online.:waitasec:

Well, they could rent the house at exorbitant rates on weekends to voyeuristic sadists. Or voyeuristic masochists, for that matter.

Win-win.

My sheltered children would NOT be ok if they saw this, and then I'd send the freaks my children's therapy bills

Build a taller fence. And play the radio loud with Disney tunes, it'll block out the bad sounds and it may be hard for the hangers to get into the groove to the sounds of Alvin and the Chipmunks and Cinderella. I don't know why, but this doesn't bother me as much as it should. Quite honestly, I'd use them as an example: "See, kids, this is why you have to graduate high school and stay away from sharp objects..." or "That guy was bad, he didn't do his homework." LOL. You know what they say, we are all examples, some of us just make a better example of what not to do.

I was explaining this to DH, and he said, like in the Roman Empire, that's what happens when life is too easy - people event weird ways to feel alive and experience life. It's similar to camping (or for us, living on a sailboat one year) - when your time is taken up by mere acts of surviving (keeping campsite clean, building a fire, cooking on fire, hauling dishes to creek or hauling water from creek to wash dishes, etc - or reefing the sails b/c a squall is on the way, finding an anchorage protected from whichever way the wind is blowing that night, etc) and you're expending both physical and mental energy, then you don't have time to be bored and think of ways to intentionally hurt yourself to feel pain/feel alive.

Hope this makes sense.

ETA: It also reminds me of something said in the book by Bill Moyer/Joseph Campbell, The Power of Myth: rituals have always played an important part in life, in marking the transition from child to adult. In our modern society, there are no rituals (such as the first hunt, or a ceremony, etc), so teens invent their own "rituals" that are often destructive. It points out the importance of creating rituals within our families and society.

Build a taller fence. And play the radio loud with Disney tunes, it'll block out the bad sounds and it may be hard for the hangers to get into the groove to the sounds of Alvin and the Chipmunks and Cinderella. I don't know why, but this doesn't bother me as much as it should. Quite honestly, I'd use them as an example: "See, kids, this is why you have to graduate high school and stay away from sharp objects..." or "That guy was bad, he didn't do his homework." LOL. You know what they say, we are all examples, some of us just make a better example of what not to do.

i had to chuckle over this a little. i too know people that do this. they would never think to do it in a place where a child or even another adult who isn't into this could see them. its about consent and well, that wouldn't be consent from the children or person not into it. but the part i was chuckling about was the few i know do this are teachers, a doctor, a lawyer and highly educated. (so just don't tell your child that)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back