Votes: 12 23.5%
  • read it

Votes: 6 11.8%

• Total voters

ynotdivein

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
Trying this conversation again.

Have you read the book? Would/will you read the book? If so, what would you hope to learn or better understand; and if not, why not?

(Write-in votes optional. Polite discourse not optional.)

:tyou:

Just don't think DE has anything to say that I'd want to hear.

Nah, this was published in 2005. I'm kinda interested in life after death row -- but that's just me.

Have you read it? Just curious as to the interest when the book is 6 years out.

MOO

Mel

ETA: I would never pay 15 bucks for a book with 160 pages...no matter who wrote it. If I found it on line for free..maybe. But I won't go out of my way to look for it.

I wondered if he wrote bad and hurtful things about Misskelley. As of today Echols still calls Misskelley retarded.

"Two things that I don't have time for is stupidity and ugliness,'' Echols said in a 1995 death row interview. "And Jessie Misskelley had both those qualities.''
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/aug/21/back-to-life/

I also want to add that: I am curious if he wrote about his mother or ex-girlfriend.

mmmhhh,I'm sure you wouldn't be thrilled either if you are innocent and a guy sends you straight to deathrow with a false confession.
when Damien became older he has expressed many,many times that he does not blame Jessie for the coerced confession.

If I came across a copy in a second hand bookshop I'd pick it up, but I wouldn't go out of my way to look for it.

Obviously, since I refer to it often, I have read it - more than once. I find his writing style wonderful, and I hope that he is able to continue writing. I know that he is writing a memoir. I'm curious as to why some people would definitely not read it. You don't think he has anything to say that you would care to read? When he wrote the book, he had already been on Death Row for quite a while. That experience alone should be intriguing as (hopefully) none of us will ever have that experience first hand. Are you afraid that, when you read the book and hear Damien recount his experiences, you might no longer be able to believe that Damien actually was capable of committing those murders? A head in the sand attitude will never lead to total information about a person or a situation.

I want to read this book but don't have the means to acquire it (yet).

His next book will be even more powerful because it will not be excruiatingly trying to squeeze thru the ever-shrinking narrow tube to get to the free public.

JMO :) :heart:

Sometimes you just have to listen to your intuition that is screaming, and that is what I am feeling.

Obviously, since I refer to it often, I have read it - more than once. I find his writing style wonderful, and I hope that he is able to continue writing. I know that he is writing a memoir. I'm curious as to why some people would definitely not read it. You don't think he has anything to say that you would care to read? When he wrote the book, he had already been on Death Row for quite a while. That experience alone should be intriguing as (hopefully) none of us will ever have that experience first hand. Are you afraid that, when you read the book and hear Damien recount his experiences, you might no longer be able to believe that Damien actually was capable of committing those murders? A head in the sand attitude will never lead to total information about a person or a situation.

Oh, I would definitely read it if I could find it for free. I just wouldn't pay 15 bucks cuz money is tight. Maybe I interpreted the poll wrong in that I would definitely not go out and buy it. I can't say I'd definitely read it, because chances are it's not on the library shelf. And every time I go to the library for DS I get lost in a plethora of other books ;)

But now that this is on my radar, I'll put it on my list of books to look for next time! I might just get lucky.

Mel

Oh, I would definitely read it if I could find it for free. I just wouldn't pay 15 bucks cuz money is tight. Maybe I interpreted the poll wrong in that I would definitely not go out and buy it. I can't say I'd definitely read it, because chances are it's not on the library shelf. And every time I go to the library for DS I get lost in a plethora of other books ;)

But now that this is on my radar, I'll put it on my list of books to look for next time! I might just get lucky.

Mel

Thanks for the clarification! As was pointed out earlier, you can read part of it free online. Also, check the used book stores. Since the book has been out for several years, you might be able to find a used copy a lot cheaper. Even amazon.com sometimes sells used copies of books.

I will read it when I can find it in my price range.I waited and waited to find the book Media Tried Justice Denied about the Darlie Routier case.I succeeded in finding it for $17.00 on ebay.

I will NOT spend anymore than 10 bucks for Almost Home.Chances of me finding it here in Canada at a yard sale are rather slim.

Guess I am a tightwad...but I will eventually find it and read it.

I'd be more interested in reading his next book.

I'd be more interested in reading his next book.
I want to read both.

Damien is incredibly eloquent. Perhaps he is an example of how someone transforms themself while in prison for years...while no rehab/therapy/counseling is provided for them...dysfunctional family life before arrest and imprisonment...no formal education past <what year> of high school...horrible living conditions while being imprisoned yet innocent.

The next book will be quite fascinating becuz it will be about the power of love and the human spirit. JMO. :heart:

I will definitely read it when I can find it. Of course price will have something to do with it but I think that will go down as soon as his next comes out. Then I can read consecutively!

I hope Damien writes about:
-how he loves dark crimson things,
-how Lorri&#8217;s age &#8220;freaked him out&#8221; (she is 12 years older),
-how Lorri&#8217;s words were like tiny spider legs,
-how Lorri made him feel that he was hanging over an abyss,
-how he wants to hold his breath every time she moves,
-why he learned to write in gothic script like the writing on Halloween cards, and
-if he discussed anything violent with Bob Barker through his tv screen (he has a diagnosis of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder)

I hope Lorri writes about:
-how she feels that &#8220;something&#8221; brought Damien into her life, but it wasn&#8217;t God, and it was daunting,
-what else Damien has said to her that makes her think that his thirst to smell her was "lovelier than anything he could have told her.&#8221;
-why her old friends would call her a kite without a string,
-about Damien&#8217;s interest in chastity belts and if it is uncomfortable to wear one,
-her disgust with feeling &#8220;I&#8217;m poor. I&#8217;m poor. I&#8217;m poor.&#8221;
-how she became jealous of another women sending her panties to Damien while on death row,
-what it is like to eat at trendy NYC restaurants with a man who can&#8217;t remember to eat with utensils,
-how she feels when Damien complains that her highbrow activities make people depressed,
-from where did the money come that she and Damien use to now live in NYC and dine in restaurants like the expensive TriBeCa bistro, and
-if she fears the fact that one of Damien&#8217;s favorite places is a gothic costume shop

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/16/magazine/a-death-row-love-story.html?pagewanted=all

Pensfan
_______
verified psychiatric mental health nurse

I hope Damien writes about:
-how he loves dark crimson things,
-how Lorri’s age “freaked him out” (she is 12 years older),
-how Lorri’s words were like tiny spider legs,
-how Lorri made him feel that he was hanging over an abyss,
-how he wants to hold his breath every time she moves,
-why he learned to write in gothic script like the writing on Halloween cards, and
-if he discussed anything violent with Bob Barker through his tv screen (he has a diagnosis of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder)

I hope Lorri writes about:
-how she feels that “something” brought Damien into her life, but it wasn’t God, and it was daunting,
-what else Damien has said to her that makes her think that his thirst to smell her was "lovelier than anything he could have told her.”
-why her old friends would call her a kite without a string,
-about Damien’s interest in chastity belts and if it is uncomfortable to wear one,
-her disgust with feeling “I’m poor. I’m poor. I’m poor.”
-how she became jealous of another women sending her panties to Damien while on death row,
-what it is like to eat at trendy NYC restaurants with a man who can’t remember to eat with utensils,
-how she feels when Damien complains that her highbrow activities make people depressed,
-from where did the money come that she and Damien use to now live in NYC and dine in restaurants like the expensive TriBeCa bistro, and
-if she fears the fact that one of Damien’s favorite places is a gothic costume shop

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/16/magazine/a-death-row-love-story.html?pagewanted=all

Pensfan
_______
verified psychiatric mental health nurse
Is Lorri writing a book too? Or is Damien's next book a joint effort?

What's wrong with the color "dark crimson"?

Thousands (millions?) are into goth costumes and goth other stuff. Why would anyone fear that? (I don't)

There are several items on your list that I would like him/them to write about, but it would be out of sincere interest and not because I think those items are damning, unusual, or hinky.

Writers write...and use metaphors, analogies and many other constructs to express themselves, many of which are not meant to be taken literally.

My wish list for both of them to write about would be quite different, should I ever feel the need to outline it.

Somebody sent panties to Damien on death row? HAHAHAHAHAHA.

I think it's sad that some educated people can't understand the poetic language of a creative person or the romantic notions of a newly-blooming love.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanayarford
Back