OK - Man takes on almost 800-pound wild hog

This makes me sad.

ETA: But I hope he donates the meat to feed homeless. That would be good.

This makes me sad.

ETA: But I hope he donates the meat to feed homeless. That would be good.

I'm assuming you know your own state has quite the wild hog problem.

Nope didn't know that Nova. On this island all we see are wild ferrets everywhere :)

It just makes me sad that an animal has to die like that. But I do understand hunting and also population control of wild animals.

I can't help it I'm just a softie. I do hear every once in awhile about the wild hogs but I didn't know there was a major problem. I'll pay more attention now. A lot of wild chickens though. Lots.

Nope didn't know that Nova. On this island all we see are wild ferrets everywhere :)

It just makes me sad that an animal has to die like that. But I do understand hunting and also population control of wild animals.

I can't help it I'm just a softie. I do hear every once in awhile about the wild hogs but I didn't know there was a major problem. I'll pay more attention now. A lot of wild chickens though. Lots.

There's a show on the Discovery Channel called Hogs Gone Wild. It follows animal security officers (or the private equivalent) in Florida, Texas and Hawaii, all of which have serious feral hog problems. (IIRC, they film on the Big Island in your area, so I don't know about Oahu.)

The hogs are nocturnal and usually try to avoid people, but they can be very dangerous to humans (especially children) and pets. As suburbs expand, the hog territories come to include yards and parks. (Hogs eat almost anything but have a fondness for nuts, fruits, ornamental flowers and farm products, so though they avoid adult humans, they are attracted to places we live.) As I'm sure you know, they carry diseases that humans can catch (including tuberculosis). They also think nothing of defecating and urinating in fresh water, so they can quickly contaminate an entire ecosystem.

And they breed like crazy!

http://www.texasboars.com/articles/facts.html

The thought of wild boars scares the wits out of me!! And they said there are several hundred thousand of them in Oklahoma! :eek: I'd thank anyone that helped in their control. I love animals, but also appreciate the civility our forefathers carved out for us.

California has wild boar, of course, but not in my neck of the woods. We have cougar, but I've never encountered one, TG.

I do hope he uses every scrap of the meat for good purpose. mo

The thought of wild boars scares the wits out of me!! And they said there are several hundred thousand of them in Oklahoma! :eek: I'd thank anyone that helped in their control. I love animals, but also appreciate the civility our forefathers carved out for us.

California has wild boar, of course, but not in my neck of the woods. We have cougar, but I've never encountered one, TG.

I do hope he uses every scrap of the meat for good purpose. mo

I was surprised to learn how much of California does have feral hog populations. Pretty much any part of the state that was ever agricultural, except for the densest cities and the driest deserts.

I was surprised to learn how much of California does have feral hog populations. Pretty much any part of the state that was ever agricultural, except for the densest cities and the driest deserts.

There's an upscale community in the east bay area that falls victim to them rutting up their lawns and such! They're a real nuisance for them.

Heh, I tried to look it up, but I'm getting restaurant reviews for boar on their menus! They're using them-- good to hear. imo http://www.dishtip.com/s/ca/danville/top-dishes/wild-boar

There's an upscale community in the east bay area that falls victim to them rutting up their lawns and such! They're a real nuisance for them.

Heh, I tried to look it up, but I'm getting restaurant reviews for boar on their menus! They're using them-- good to hear. imo http://www.dishtip.com/s/ca/danville/top-dishes/wild-boar

Yes, assuming it's safe to eat them. (It's probably safer than pork from big agri-businesses.)

We eat them here in Louisiana.
I know, y'all are shocked. :smile:

We have tons of wild hogs. They can be a REAL problem.

We eat them here in Louisiana.
I know, y'all are shocked. :smile:

We have tons of wild hogs. They can be a REAL problem.

Oh, Kim, the only thing that would shock me is if ya'll start eating each other.

Oh, Kim, the only thing that would shock me is if ya'll start eating each other.

Yuck! :smile:

We do have the best food in the world IMO.

Nothing beats my hubby's gumbo.

Be careful. That could easily be construed as an invitation...

Come on down! Long trip but my hubby's gumbo is worth it. Even with gas @ nearly $4 a gallon.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anniegirl401
Back