Couple Married 72 Years Dies Holding Hands

TrackerSam

Reaction score
An Iowa couple who was married for 72 years died one hour apart last week in the hospital as they held hands.

Family said the story of Gordon, 94, and Norma Yeager, 90, is a real-life love story.

On the day she graduated from high school, Norma Stock said yes to Gordon Yeager's marriage proposal. The couple got married on May 26, 1939 in State Center.
In the intensive care unit of Marshalltown's hospital, nurses knew not to separate Gordon and Norma.

"They brought them in the same room in intensive care and put them together -- and they were holding hands in ICU. They were not really responsive," said Dennis Yeager.

Gordon died at 3:38 p.m. holding hands with his wife as the family they built surrounded them.

"It was really strange, they were holding hands, and dad stopped breathing but I couldn't figure out what was going on because the heart monitor was still going," said Dennis Yeager. "But we were like, he isn't breathing. How does he still have a heart beat? The nurse checked and said that's because they were holding hands and it's going through them. Her heart was beating through him and picking it up."

Read more: http://www.kcci.com/news/29528191/detail.html#ixzz1bF7P2zjv

Wow. We should all be so lucky to find love like that.

What a great story. Only if we all could find this kind of love.

What a beautiful story. I'm a little chocked up right now!

I needed to read that today, true love forever. wow.

How beautiful! I'm awe filled yet jealous of what they had...
May they rest in eternal peace.
Such a sweet story.

Amazing - brings tears to my eyes. Rest in Peace together

Wow, reminds me of the movie "The Notebook." Absolutely love that movie and this story tops it because it's real life! I wish we all could be that lucky!

Aw, that is so sweet and uplifting. Thanks, I needed that today.

Awww :heartbeat: :hug: :angel:

I'm sure they had their ups and downs, but their happy times obviously outnumbered the bad times. They had the gift of perseverance, right up until the end. Such a nice story, and what a wonderful testament to them and their love for each other!

Wow! This is so touching. Thank you for posting this.

It hit home with me because both my parents are 88 yrs old and have been married for 66 yrs.

We were all at my son's wedding in August, and someone said to me how they thought it was so cute that my parents were always holding hands. I'd never noticed before! Every picture developed.....there they are holding hands.

A friend shared this with me on FB. I cried.

Gordon died at 3:38 p.m

The family couldn't understand why his heart was still beating...

The nurse checked and said that's because they were holding hands and it's going through them. Her heart was beating through him and picking it up."

Norma died at 4:48 p.m.

The couple reportedly were holding hands Tuesday at their funeral in their casket.

This is the sweetest story I've heard in a long long time. Blessings to them both on their journey to the afterlife.

Mel

That is a wonderful story!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong