Second grader forced to walk home via freeway

Wow. I'm so glad that child knew to look both ways! And although it was nice for people to stop and offer rides, he was also smart not to get in the car. Good for mom in teaching stranger danger.

I really don't understand how these things happen at schools. Shouldn't you have a better protocol in place, especially for the very tiny kids?

OMG, I would be livid if that were my child. I won't even let my 2nd grader (or my 4th grader for that matter) walk from school and it is only five blocks because two busy streets would need crossing.

This child was forced to walk TWO miles along busy freeway???

Major procedural fail. If that were my child, heads would still be rolling. This never should have happened. Thank goodness this child made it home safe.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...d-gr_n_1022669.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

The station reports that school staff told Damion he was supposed to walk home. Despite his protests, the official remained adamant, so Damion began his journey home on foot.

To get to his house, Damion had to cross a freeway, where he told the KPRC that he was almost hit by a car.

This poor little guy! If he was my son, heads would be rolling and I'd want someone's JOB!!
So glad he made it home and made it home safe :(
Do our schools just become numb to the fact that they're children since they deal with so many all day?? :sigh:

OMG! I would be after jobs on this one. That would be after picked myself up off the floor and got out of the hospital for the anxiety attack. This same thing happened to a neighbor of mine. I couldn't believe the restraint she used. I about had a cow over it. I am so glad this little guy is okay. Why in the h e double hockey sticks didn't someone double and triple check when he protested? Hello? He knows his name and probably his own/mom's phone number. Good grief.

This is national news - really??

A 7 year old should be smart enough to figure this out, and his mother could help boost his ego by telling him how smart and capable he is for getting himself home.

I walked this far when I was 4, from kindergarten, much of it along a highway.

I think this boy would have a stronger, more confident voice if his mother appreciated the fact that - in FACT, he was capable of walking the distance he did.

This is national news - really??

A 7 year old should be smart enough to figure this out, and his mother could help boost his ego by telling him how smart and capable he is for getting himself home.

I walked this far when I was 4, from kindergarten, much of it along a highway.

I think this boy would have a stronger, more confident voice if his mother appreciated the fact that - in FACT, he was capable of walking the distance he did.

I have a problem with this article. Who made this child walk on the freeway? No one as far as what I read. If the child wasn't allowed on the bus, why didn't he walk into the office and request to call his mother? Why didn't he STAY PUT (as we are all told to do as children) until his mother came looking for him?

I understand the school fooked up - I do. Did the school push him off the premises and make him get on the on-ramp? Who actually "forced" him to walk anywhere?

A teacher should have taken this child under his/her wing in order for him to get ahold of his parent. I'm sincerely dissapointed this didn't happen.

Bless this little guy and that he never has to go through anything like that again.

MOO

Mel

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...d-gr_n_1022669.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

This poor little guy! If he was my son, heads would be rolling and I'd want someone's JOB!!
So glad he made it home and made it home safe :(
Do our schools just become numb to the fact that they're children since they deal with so many all day?? :sigh:

I am fairly confident I would be after jobs too. There is NO excuse for this.

When I was teaching, there was a handful of staff who had bus duty each day. If there was ever any doubt about where a child should go, the child was taken (by an adult) to the office, where our secretary had a card in their file about their walking/bus riding/walking status. I am pretty sure that this is standard in most schools. The simple fact is, this happened because it was the end of the day and someone (the adult who told this child to walk) didn't want to deal with the issue because it was the end of the day. They should've listened to the child when he told them he wasn't a walker.

And the whole statement of "When I was this kid's age I walked up the hill, through a snowstorm, through a mob of child molesters" is pretty moot. At 7 years old, a child is at an age where he/she listens to adults. This child was told by an authority figure to walk, so he did. It's not rocket science-- he's 7, not 10 or 12. Luckily, this child's parents taught him to not accept rides from strangers. What if this happens to another child whose parents haven't taught him that and he accepts a ride from someone with sinister intentions? What if this child had been hit by a drunk driver? I think this mother is understandably pissed and doesn't want this to happen to another child. THAT'S why it's news.

THANK GOODNESS that he made it home, and he wasn't a statistic on the evening news.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back