ME ME - Kitty Wardwell, 29, Lewiston, 11 July 1983

CatFancier

Former Member
Reaction score
I felt like this woman needed a home and this was this best place I could think of for her:

Missing Persons

Kitty I. Wardwell
Missing since: 1983

Town: Holden

On June 6, 1983 Kitty I. Wardwell (Collins) was last seen by her on-again off-again boyfriend, Frank Julian. William Desmond, a close friend of Kitty's, reported her missing on 7-11-83. Julian told Salem, New Hampshire police that he dropped her at the El Rancho Motel in Salem after a fight and traveled back to Maine without her. On 11-23-83 Marla Collins, Wardwell's sister, reported her missing to the Maine State Police. Subsequent investigation indicates that Wardwell likely was a victim of foul play in Maine.

Wardwell was 29 years old, 5' 7" tall, 120 pounds, brown eyes and shoulder length brown hair at the time of her disappearance.

Contact the Maine State Police, Criminal Investigation Division III, 106 Hogan Road, Bangor, Maine 04401 (207) 941-4071, or toll free at 1-800-432-7381.

http://www.maine.gov/tools/whatsnew/index.php?topic=state_police_unsolved&id=11309&v=Article-missing

The remains of a body that were found inside a storage unit by relatives of a man who had rented it and died earlier this month may be those of a woman who was reported missing in 1983, Maine State Police said Saturday.

The relatives were cleaning out the Lewiston storage unit on Friday afternoon when they found the body inside an unplugged freezer, state police spokesman Steve McCausland said.

The remains haven’t been positively identified, but McCausland said they may be those of Kitty Wardwell, who was reported missing 28 years ago at age 29.

The storage unit had been rented since 1992 by Francis “Frank” Julian, who was Wardwell’s on-again, off-again boyfriend and was the last person known to see her alive. Julian died on Oct. 1 at age 80.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation...in-freezer-may-be-woman-missing-since-83.html

She went missing in 1983 and the storage unit was rented since 1992? Wow! Where did he keep her for those 9 years in between? And who helped him move the freezer?

Moving thread to "Missing, but not Forgotten" forum.

~Summer_Breeze

Remains in Maine freezer could be missing woman Kitty Wardwell missing since 1983.

LEWISTON, Maine — Authorities in Maine were planning an autopsy on Monday on the remains of a body found in a freezer that may be a woman who has been missing since 1983.

Law enforcement authorities believed the remains, found in Lewiston, may be Kitty Wardwell, who was reported missing in July 1983 after last being seen with her former boyfriend, Frank Julian. She was 29 at the time and he was 52, the newspaper reported.
The Sun Journal reported that the remains were found in an unplugged freezer in a storage locker that Julian had rented since 1992. Julian died earlier this month at age 80 and the remains were found by his family cleaning out the locker.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45015510/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/#.TqXS4Z4k6so

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45015510/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/#.TqXUP54k6so

She went missing in 1983 and the storage unit was rented since 1992? Wow! Where did he keep her for those 9 years in between? And who helped him move the freezer?

Unfortunately, probably in a different storage unit.

I really hope it is her because if it isn't we've got a very strong suspect in her presumed killing and another case plus who knows how many more ... :waitasec:

I ran across this the other day. It gives a whole new prospective on the use for storage units.:waitasec:

Police seek ID of body found in Maine storage unit; may be woman missing since 1983

LEWISTON, Maine — A man who died this month at age 80 took a secret to his grave — a secret that was discovered only after his family went through his belongings in a storage unit.
Inside an unplugged freezer, they found a set of human remains that investigators believe may be those of his girlfriend, who disappeared in 1983, when she was 29. Now investigators are trying to confirm the identity of the body, the cause of death and who may have been involved.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...g-since-1983/2011/10/24/gIQAJMQCDM_story.html

Holy crap.

Okay, here are my questions (quotes from the link in the OP):

The storage company’s previous owner kept good records, indicating Julian rented the unit 19 years ago on Oct. 6, Boilard said.

Where was she from 1983 until 1990? Was the freezer in his house? Did LE ever search there? Was he a suspect?

Because we know if this happened today, he would be first on the list:

Julian told police in New Hampshire that he last saw Wardwell after an argument that June, when he dropped her off at a motel in Salem, N.H., before returning to Maine, police said. She was reported missing the following month by a close friend.

Where did everyone think she was for a MONTH??? Did she routinely take off without telling anyone? Did she not have any close family? WTH?

That just makes me so sad! A month?

discovered only after his family went through his belongings in a storage unit.

Can you even imagine opening that freezer? I would have had a heart attack! Unbelievable.

Inside an unplugged freezer, they found a set of human remains that investigators believe may be those of his girlfriend,

Unplugged? Was she mummified by then? Obviously she was not in good condition because

The process of determining the victim’s identity could be time-consuming because of the condition of the body.

Again...HOLY CRAP! That poor woman.

Then again, this does give investigators new possibilities for looking for Stacy Peterson and so many others. I wonder if they've ever looked in any storage units. I wonder if a cadaver dog and trainer occasionally just take a walk around some of those units to see what happens. How difficult is it, in this day of heightened security, to rent a storage unit without ID and lots of other info?

Also, can you imagine this episode of Storage Wars? :eek:

The photo in the NamUs casefile is strange. It says "Found picture upon doing Web Search. Believed to be Wardwell. Cropped and enhanced." The woman looks considerably older than 29-30 (to me, anyways). I wonder if by "enhanced" that they mean they did some age progression?

Did they find out if this was kitty Wardwell or not? What's going on? Does any one know more on kitty Wardwells disappearance?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back