MD MD - Phyllis Bohle, 23, Severn, 25 March 1974

UdbCrzy2

Reaction score
New Information Sought on Cold Case Murder in Severn

In 1974, 23-year-old Phyllis Bohle was found dead in her Severn home. DNA testing and police detectives failed to identify a suspect, and the case went cold.

http://severn.patch.com/articles/new-information-sought-on-cold-case-murder-in-severn

Man hopes $10,000 reward will help solve daughter's killing
Phyllis Bohle was bludgeoned with fireplace poker in her Severn home in 1974

Traditional investigative methods and DNA tests have not led detectives to a suspect.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/anne-arundel/bs-md-ar-bohle-20111020,0,3734439.story

Surprising that there has not been any movement on this case, which lends me to think it was perpetrated by someone from out of the area, random act versus planned - assume that there was no motive (i.e. life insurance) for her husband to be involved, not a lot of detail on this case. It's a shame for the family to not have closure after all these years.

DAD SEEKS ANSWERS IN 1974 PHYLLIS BOHLE MURDER

THE ELDERLY father of Phyllis Bohle is offering a $10,000 reward to help solve the case. Bohle, 23, was beaten and stabbed to death in her Severn, Maryland home on March 25, 1974. But the case quickly went cold, but now with new technology cops are hoping to finally bring peace to her family. Cops say several pieces of evidence discovered at the time are now undergoing DNA testing and the dead woman's friends and relatives are being re-interviewed.
Her father Bud Gray, now 83, said: “It’s been bothering me quite a bit, and the older I get, the worse it gets. I don’t even sleep at nighttime without thinking about it. It just gets to me.” Bohle was found in the middle of her bedroom, covered in blood from the violent incident and that the she was beaten with a fireplace poker and stabbed six times. MORE ON PHYLLIS BOHLE MURDER

Phyllis Bohle
Found: 3/25/1974 She was the apple of her father’s eye.
As the oldest of four children, 23-year-old Phyllis Bohle, was everything he could have wanted from his daughter. She was beautiful, outgoing, and kind.
Phyllis and her husband were married in June of 1970. A few years later, they moved into his family home in a rural part of Severn on Locust Road off the WBNA.
It would be in that very house, a few years later, when Phyllis would take her last breath.
The day was March 25, 1974. It was Maryland Day and as an employee of the DMV in Glen Burnie, Phyllis had the day off. So, she and a friend decided to plan a shopping trip. It was that same friend who found her.
Phyllis’ father, Omer Gray, was at work that morning when he got the call.
PhyllisBohle2.jpg
“My sister-in-law called me and told me Phyllis was in an accident,” says Omer.
The first thing he was did was call Phyllis’ house.
“When I called the house and couldn't get no answer, I called police.”
An officer at the station asked him who he was. He told him he was Phyllis’ father. There was a pause on the other line before the detective told him he needed to come to the station.
When he got there the police told him what happened.
Phyllis had been found on the floor of her home, stabbed. His baby girl was dead.
Omer says he spent the rest of the morning at the station before asking if he could leave so he could pick up his son from school. He wanted to tell 16-year-old Erik what happened, before anyone else did.
“It was hard,” he remembers, “because they were close too.”
Thirty-seven years have passed since that day in 1974. Omer is 82 now and the case has been handed to cold case detective John Gajda.

He has spent the past three years pouring over the case files, rereading all the reports, looking for something that might have been missed. The house was ransacked, he says, but nothing was taken. It appears there was some sort of struggle between Phyllis and her killer. There were no signs the murderer broke into the home. Did Phyllis recognize the person and let them in unknowingly? Or, was their relationship more intimate than that? Was the killer someone she knew, someone she loved, someone who wanted her gone?
“It appears it was a crime of passion, or somebody who certainly had interest with her,” says Detective Gajda.
His main goal now is to resubmit evidence to be analyzed for DNA. Back in the 1970’s, he says, you needed a puddle of blood to find out someone’s blood type. Now, all you need is a prick from a needle.
“Technology now is a lot different from technology of 1974,” he says. “So, that’s one of the things we’ll see. What tests were done? What tests can we re-do that may be better?”
Omer and is family are putting their hopes in Det. Gajda. They pray he’ll be able to turn up something so they can finally move on.

“That's just been my whole life,” says Omer. “I can’t even sleep at nighttime without thinking about it, and as the years go on the worse it gets.”
He just hopes those answers won’t come too late.
“I'm 82-years-old and this has bugged me for thirty some years, and I would just like to see something happen before I'm gone."
If you have any information about the murder of Phyllis Bohle, please call Det. Gajda at 410-222-3460. You can also email him at P00992@AACounty.org.
To leave an anonymous tip, call Metro Crime Stoppers at 1-866-7-LOCKUP. You can also text your tip to “CRIMES” or submit it online through metrocrimestopper.org.

http://www.abc2news.com/generic/news/crime_checker/cold_cases/Maryland_Cold_Cases_Phyllis_Bohle

43 years later, still no arrests after wife stabbed, killed inside Severn home
She was the good girl with the great spirit.
After 40 years, the calls stop. The tips lessen, and the clues disappear. It’s a real fear and a real concern for Anne Arundel County Police Sgt. R.J. Price, part of the homicide investigation unit.
</snip>

<snip>
[FONT=&quot]&#8220;The scene as described in the reports that I&#8217;ve read was rather brutal. It was a violent attack. Phyllis was attacked in more than one room in the house,&#8221; Price said.
[/FONT]
</snip>

<snip>
&#8220;My sister-in-law called me and told me Phyllis was in an accident,&#8221; Omer Gray, Phyllis&#8217; father, said in an interview with ABC2 News in 2011. His dying wish was to find whoever killed his baby girl.
</snip>
<snip>
Sadly, he died in 2015 with no answers.
</snip>
https://www.abc2news.com/news/crime...-after-wife-stabbed-killed-inside-severn-home

Here is a possibly connected case.

[FONT=&quot]Sandra Knight Berkey

Residency: Marley area of Anne Arundel County
Date of death: Found dead July 2, 1974.
Scene of the crime: Her apartment in the Marley area of Anne Arundel County

Details surrounding the crime: The body of Sandra Knight Berkey was discovered by a co-worker after she went to the victim's apartment to check on Berkey after she had not shown up to work in the past two days. Berkey, employed with an insurance company in the area, was known to frequent a gym in the Glen Burnie area. She was found stabbed to death. A 1979 edition of the Capital notes similarities between the death of Berkey and Phyllis Veronica Bohle, including multiple stab wounds.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

43 years later, still no arrests after wife stabbed, killed inside Severn home
She was the good girl with the great spirit.
After 40 years, the calls stop. The tips lessen, and the clues disappear. It&#8217;s a real fear and a real concern for Anne Arundel County Police Sgt. R.J. Price, part of the homicide investigation unit.
</snip>

<snip>

[FONT=&quot]&#8220;The scene as described in the reports that I&#8217;ve read was rather brutal. It was a violent attack. Phyllis was attacked in more than one room in the house,&#8221; Price said.
[/FONT]
</snip>

<snip>
&#8220;My sister-in-law called me and told me Phyllis was in an accident,&#8221; Omer Gray, Phyllis&#8217; father, said in an interview with ABC2 News in 2011. His dying wish was to find whoever killed his baby girl.
</snip>
<snip>
Sadly, he died in 2015 with no answers.
</snip>
https://www.abc2news.com/news/crime...-after-wife-stabbed-killed-inside-severn-home
Berkey's case was just put back up on AAPD website in september looking for info. I was not born yet but i live very close to this area.

Bohle was killed at her home very near the former Washington, Baltimore, and Annapolis Electric Railway mainline (I presume the Elmhurst stop was near where Elmhurst Road would have met WB&A road) between Washington and Baltimore. In a rural area north of Bowie the previous autumn, the body of Donna Dustin was also found near this former railroad, which was abandoned and (in most places) stripped of rails in 1935. Also, perhaps Bohle's case is motivated by or related somehow to a couple strange events that occurred nearby a few weeks earlier in February.

On February 17, 1974, shortly after midnight, US Army Private Robert K. Preston stole a "huey" helicopter from Tipton Field in Odenton, about a 15 minute drive southwest from where Bohle was killed. He flew the plane along the BWI parkway to downtown DC and eventually (after temporarily leaving DC and being chased by Maryland State Police helicopters) landed at about 2am about 100 yards from the White House. (The strange Carla Walker abduction/murder in Fort Worth also started the early hours of February 17, 1974.)

About 10 minutes north from where Bohle lived is BWI airport, where on February 22, 1974, Samuel Byck attempted to hijack a plane to fly into the White House, killing one pilot and wounding the other. Byck was shot and then he killed himself without the plane ever having left the gate. The mainline of the WB&A went through what is today BWI. WB&A had two other lines, both going to Annapolis. One of them, the former Annapolis, Washington, and Baltimore Railroad (before that called the Annapolis and Elkridge), went from Annapolis to Annapolis Junction, where it connected with the Washington Branch of the B&O (map). This line too was mostly dismantled in 1935, but the segment between Annapolis Junction and Odenton was left intact to serve Fort Meade. Tipton Field, associated with Fort Meade, was next to this segment, just south of the railroad, about halfway between Annapolis Junction and downtown Odenton. The worst accident on the WB&A occurred June 5, 1908, 60 years to the day before RFK was shot, on the AW&B line near Annapolis between Parole Station and Best Gate, in a head on collision caused by a misguided attempt of the northbound to make the siding at Best Gate. The June 28, 2018, Capital Gazette shooting off Best Gate Road happened a few blocks east of the Best Gate Depot (and its former offices were near the former stop at Parole Station).

Sandra Berkey in a similar case in Marley was murdered probably on June 30, 1974, the same day as the assassination of MLK's mother, Alberta King, in Atlanta and as the Gulliver's Night Club Fire in Port Chester, NY. June 30, 1900, was the Hoboken Docks fire that killed 300 at the German Lloyd docks. In 1910, NYC Mayor Gaynor would be shot there, and during the first world war, these Lloyd docks were a center of German sabotage activity, some of the infernal devices used by saboteurs to destroy Allied shipping being built on the Lloyd ships that were laid up there on account of the British blockade. In Baltimore, Lloyd operated out of Hansa House, located at Redwood and Charles Streets; there, during WWI, "Paul Hilken, North German Lloyd's Baltimore agent, functioned as paymaster for a German sabotage ring that raised havoc throughout the East".

On March 20, 1974, there was a failed kidnap (or worse) attempt of Princess Anne in Pall Mall. The wedding of Princess Anne (accomplished equestrian) was quite the celebrity marriage (14 November 1973, three years to the day after the loss of the Marshall University football team, which seems possibly referenced in the Robin Graham case in LA). The DC area had something of its own celebrity wedding a few days later on November 17, 1973, the same day Donna Dustin was murdered, her body left north of Bowie (horse) Race Track near the former Myers stop of the WB&A, when RFK's daughter Kathleen Kennedy married David Townsend in Georgetown, the area where Dustin apparently had gone shopping with a friend the day previous.

That was very interesting .Thank You

Interesting connections made and very informative. While obviously all of this is unknown and nothing should ever be ruled out until there are proof/results in either murder... I do not believe the Donna Dustin case is related to this case.

I hadn't read about Bohle's case until today, so will look further into it.

Phyllis Veronica Bohle
Bohle200.jpg

23 years old

On March 25th 1974 Phyllis Veronica Bohle was found deceased in her home, located in the community of Elmhurst, Severn, Maryland. Mrs. Bohle was the victim of a homicide.

Mrs. Bohle was employed at the Motor Vehicle Administration in Glen Burnie.

Contact Anne Arundel County, Homicide Unit with tips and information:
(410) 222-4731

Callers can remain anonymous by calling the Anne Arundel County Police Tip Line at 410-222-4700

LINK:
Phyllis Veronica Bohle | Anne Arundel County, MD

Sandra Knight Berkey

Sandra Knight Berkey, age 23, was found dead 2 July 1974 in her Anne Arundel County, Maryland apartment.

Her murder less than 4 months after that of Phyllis Veronica Bohle, also age 23 and also in Anne Arundel County were possibly connected.

Phyllis Veronica <I>Gray</I> Bohle

Phyllis Veronica Gray Bohle​

BIRTH 1950
DEATH 25 Mar 1974 Severn, Anne Arundel County, Maryland, USA
BURIAL Lorraine Park Cemetery Woodlawn, Baltimore County, Maryland, USA
Obituary:
Bohle - On March 25, 1974, Phyllis Veronica (nee Gray), of Severn, Md., beloved wife of Michael Boyle, loving daughter of Olmer Gray and Rosalie Gray, dear sister of Eric and Stacie Gray and the late Cynthia Gray and daughter-in-law of Mrs. Helen Gronert ...Christian Wake Services and Mass of the Resurection at Holy Trinity Church ...Entombment in Lorraine Park Mausoleum.
Source: The Sun, Mar 27, 1974 Page C-12

LINK:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Veryinterested68