Kelly Ripa and Mark Consuelos say they have a favorite child

I think it's horrid. Especially this bit

"And by the way," she added, "you guys all have favorite kids, too. You may not admit it out loud ... but you know in the event of emergency, there's one kid you'd reach for first."

What a sick thing to say about your children on national television. All of my kids are my favorites for different reasons. Each of them have moments when they are nicer than the other and times that they are a PITA. So I can't imagine having one favorite all the time.

That said, even if I did, the kid I'd reach for in an emergency would be the kid who needed my help the most.

I don't quite know how to explain this, but I'll try.

I'd reach for the kid that needed the most help. Even if my other kid was my favorite, in a crisis it would boil down to the situation and how we all could survive.

The way she says it is as if she's saying "I want to make sure I save the one I love the most, so no matter what I'm going for that kid." And in saying that it becomes about her own personal gratification rather than actually caring about the child. Like she wants to make sure she's getting her favorite for her own sake.

Sounds almost like abandonment. Horrible horrible. So sad.

What I'm reading is SO WRONG! Did they really say this, or is it media spin?

I do NOT feel that I have a favorite! I don't care WHAT they say!!!

wow. That is really rude on their part. Especially with them being celebrities and being so public and vocal about their 'favorite.' Yuck.

Our two kids have a running 'joke' about the other child being the favorite. Our son thinks his baby sister is the favorite, since she is a girl and is the youngest and is very beautiful. And spoiled. Our girl thinks her big brother is the favorite because he is the oldest, the most responsible and a male. We always agree with them when one says.. " He/She is your favorite. " We say YES, clearly, he/she is our favorite. " But I think they both realize that each is a 'favorite' in a different way. Each has their own valuable attributes and character traits and we love them each for different reasons I suppose. But neither 'outranks' the other.

But for them to label one as their clear 'favorite', at such a young age, that is just wrong, imo. They are asking for future trouble, imo.

http://www.aol.com/video/kelly-ripa-i-have-a-favorite-child/517187645/

Video where she does say that.

No Kelly I don't have a favorite child. Each of our children are individuals and although each relationship has unique qualities because of that child's individuality---I can say that I love each child equally. That is to say I love them with all my heart and all my soul and each of them are as important to me as the other. JMHO

I wasn't sure if I was just overreacting to them or what. I cannot STAND Kelly Ripa-- I have never been able to stomach her and it's not really surprising to me that she said something like this. I am sure if she faces any negativity about it, she'll play it off as some silly joke.

What an incredibly cruel thing to say, period....let alone on national TV. She even said, "My kids are in school, so they're not seeing this." Ummmmm, you're a "celebrity" and they will be able to read about it tomorrow and 50 years from now. And we're talking about kids!!!! It would be one thing if their children were grown adults and they were making jokes about having a favorite but their children are 14, 10, and 8!!!!

Hmmm...

I watched the clip.

Actually sounds like a stand-up comedy routine that I've heard before. Kelly Rip-off. Mark Conalongwithus. Whatevs. :crazy:

Betting their kids have a sense of humor - and I noticed they picked the baby as "favorite". LOL. For now. When the baby's 14, Rachel Ray should re-visit the question with this couple. :D

Like her or not, I have to think she's smart enough not to torpedo her career by sharing her ACTUAL deep dark family secrets on national TV.

My vote is, it's a joke, and probably a running family joke. Nyuk nyuk nyuk.

:cow:

I have a favorite child. For me it's easy as I only have one and of course I prefer him to all the others on the entire planet. He's just better than everyone elses:great:

Good thing I didn't respond to this post two days ago when he annoyed me so:floorlaugh:

Absolutely unbelievable! I have five and don;t have a favorite but if I did I sure as heck wouldn't tell anyone. Those poor children...not only does it make the ones that aren't the 'favorite' feel bad the favorite would be picked on by the other kids because of it.

I get it from my SIL's (I have 5) who insist I am the favorite when really its just because I get along with my in laws and have no 'issues' with them. Makes me unpopular with the girls...

If you asked my 2 kids who was my favorite their jaws would drop on the floor and they'd be mortified that someone else knew that, most likely, mom's favorite was their sibling.

:rolling:

One could say I was a strict mom and ruled with a feather paddle and did my best to saddle my kids with a nice heaping of good old fashioned empathetic guilt. I recommend it. :giggle:

(mind you, my kids are grown so ... from this side of child-raising ... there is much humor ... may everyone arrive safely to the other side of parenting as gracefully as possible.) :blowkiss:

Wow! I'm shocked! I would never say that. The other two kids must feel horrible knowing that incase of an emergency their mother would reach for the youngest one first. I would never had said that to anyone let alone on national television.

I have heard Kelly say something along those lines SEVERAL TIMES before on Regis and Kelly. I guess it didn't pick up steam earlier when she said it. She said it in a sort of joking way, so I didn't take it seriously, but I made a mental note that it wasn't such a good thing to say when it could get back to your kids.

You would think she would have gotten a little flack when she said it the other times and stopped doing it.

publicity stunt IMO

they knew the questions ahead of time & had that answer prepared

I saw her on Regis a few weeks ago and she said the same thing! I don't recall her saying which child it was, but she definitely stated that she had a favorite child. When I first read this thread, I thought it was in reference to that segment I had seen. Nope...this is a totally different time! The one I saw didn't have Mark in it. Just Kelly and....not Regis...some other guest host. I'll see if I can find the clip.

I have a favorite child. For me it's easy as I only have one and of course I prefer him to all the others on the entire planet. He's just better than everyone elses:great:

Good thing I didn't respond to this post two days ago when he annoyed me so:floorlaugh:

BBM Me too! That's why I only had one, I didn't want to share him with anyone else!! (JK) Anyway, I took the banter for what it was, a funny conversation. Was it serious? No, of course not. I'm not gonna rake them over the coals for this one....

Whether they were joking or not they are bringing hurt on their other children. I overheard my parents having a similar conversation late one night. I still remember the sting of hearing that my older brother was their first born so had special status (to them) and my younger sister was their "baby" who was also favored. There were only three of us...yep so not funny.

I always tell my children they are each my favorite, favorite first born, favorite second born (or son) and favorite last born. Each is special in his/her own way.

Kids are pretty smart. They know if they are liked or not, or if their other sibling is being treated better than they are. Hence, being the favorite child. Or if they are treated as equals.

I have a favorite, because I have one child. Each child is unique in their own way and should be treated as such. There is no comparison.

It's for publicity...

My husband and I always say we have six favorites (of our six kids), because each one is special and uniquely wonderful.

We have a running joke in our house...If something important is missing the child that finds it is "the favorite child". It spurs them on to help look. Everyone has a good giggle and knows it is a joke, and everyone has had a turn being "favorite" for a moment. LOL

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back