Police building their presence...on a social media level

SurfieTX

Reaction score
http://www.kctv5.com/story/15894625/police-building-their-presenceon-a-social-media-level

Social media like Twitter and Facebook have been used a lot in the missing baby Lisa Irwin case, and police are now recognizing they need to take advantage of the new tools. That was the motivation behind an experiment in downtown Thursday.

It's policing in a whole new media – that's social media. Thursday, the Kansas City, MO Police Department tweeted every call they got for an hour on the department's Twitter account.

Some may wonder why it was decided to put out this information in such a way.

"To continue to build our social media presence and inform the public of what we do," explained Sarah Boyd, the KCMO Police Department spokesperson.

Interesting..well, to me, at least. Is this for public awareness or to pressure un-named suspects?

I'd love to read all the tweets....anyone care to copy and paste it here?

I think this is just taking advantage of the all the communication mediums out there. I think for the most part it's an excellent development, especially in cases like Lisa Erwin.

I personally think this is counteractive rather than proactive. I *think I understand why they want to do this, but there is too much ambiguity in this case already.

I don't want it from a second source -- the *ONLY source I trust, tbh.

There is TOO much mud in the water, too much.

I personally think this is counteractive rather than proactive. I *think I understand why they want to do this, but there is too much ambiguity in this case already.

I don't want it from a second source -- the *ONLY source I trust, tbh.

There is TOO much mud in the water, too much.

I personally think it is a great idea they are expanding their horizons like this.. for example...: last night I went to DS's 7th grade band concert.. all the lights were dimmed for the performance..

but as I looked around the room there was a blue glow.. nearly every other parent there had a phone out doing other things during the performance!

I personally was livid.. I mean watch your kid blow their horn, beat their drum, etc, already!

but this is what we are.. an instant message/check your email where ever you are world..and could help with tips in the case

so reaching out to the social media is a good move.. imhoo

I see the point, I just don't know if and when this will ever go to trial how this would benefit LE in terms of preciseness.
I am one of those believers that all should be held to the chest (which is why I try and not get frustrated with LE unless they are bludgeoning homeless victims).

I think this *might give too much to a general audience which will only monger new rumors based on theories, based on speculation, ... etc.. etc..

I dunno, just my personal felling, but I understand yours and everyone else's that thinks it a good idea.

I personally think it is a great idea they are expanding their horizons like this.. for example...: last night I went to DS's 7th grade band concert.. all the lights were dimmed for the performance..

but as I looked around the room there was a blue glow.. nearly every other parent there had a phone out doing other things during the performance!

I personally was livid.. I mean watch your kid blow their horn, beat their drum, etc, already!

but this is what we are.. an instant message/check your email where ever you are world..and could help with tips in the case

I would be upset too! It irritates me no end when people can't turn their cell phone off for an hour and give their full attention to something important such as their child's concert. I do think cell phone addition is real.

But, I do recognize the importance of the technology we have today and we should use it to it's full potential. It has it's applications and in the public sector like LE reaching out to the social media is a good thing.

How many live in Kansas City, isn't it like 2 million people? According to 1 tweet - they received over 892,000 + calls for assistance last year.

The calls posted yesterday for 1 hour were to celebrate their grand reopening of the remodeled 911 center, according to a tweet on their page. I believe it was LE asking people to be considerant, not only do they have to investigate Lisa's case, also calls regarding all residents and visitors in their area.

They'd probably love to have all officers on finding Lisa, its not realistic. If connecting with Facebook, Twitter or else where online helps solve any case, then I think LE should do that!

So, this was just for one hour yesterday? Is that correct? I read it as it's only going to be tweeted to LE and media.. For security purposes.. What's the deal there? Anyone can listen to this on the scanners 24/7 so what do they mean for security reasons?? Or am I misunderstanding it?

So, this was just for one hour yesterday? Is that correct? I read it as it's only going to be tweeted to LE and media.. For security purposes.. What's the deal there? Anyone can listen to this on the scanners 24/7 so what do they mean for security reasons?? Or am I misunderstanding it?

I dont know how to copy it but (after thinking the same thing) I figured out that you could click on the tweet and see what question they were answering. The one about "security reasons" was in response to someone wanting to know why they didnt do the tours of the 911 facility. KCPD said they only let LE and media in but you could watch the tour on the news. (hope that helps) It was all in celebration of the grand re-opening of the 911 dispatch center IIRC.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back