"The Cult of Darlie"

Jeana (DP)

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Here's a link to the Dallas Observer article about the supporters of Darlie Routier:

The Cult of Darlie
A cast of Fellini-esque characters claiming they possess new evidence keep the Routier murder case in the national spotlight
If they start throwing chairs, you'll know you're on the wrong set." With such sage advice, my 11-year-old daughter bid me adieu before I jetted off to Los Angeles on less than a day's notice to appear on the Leeza Gibbons show, the outer ring of TV talk-show hell.
On the relatively civilized, if somewhat banal, Leeza show, the topic was Darlie Routier, the blonde Rowlett mother whose two young sons were stabbed to death on the den floor where they slept by her side three years ago this June. After a five-week trial in Kerrville, a jury convicted Darlie of murdering 5-year-old Damon and sentenced her to death.

In the pantheon of gruesome, captivating Texas crime stories, of which there is no shortage, the Routier murder case certainly holds its own: A young, flashy mother claims she slept through--or just doesn't remember--an intruder's vicious attack on herself and her boys. Then, a week later, she allows a TV news crew to film her

gleefully shooting Silly String during a graveside party on what would have been her oldest son's seventh birthday. She hires one of the best-known criminal-defense attorneys in the state, who loses the case even though there is no eyewitness, confession, or clear-cut motive.

Still, it seems odd that a national television show would want to revisit a 3-year-old murder case, even one as intriguing as this. Of course, one of the peculiar features of the Routier case is how its hold on the public has seemed to grow stronger with time.

rest of article at:

http://www.dallasobserver.com/issues/1999-05-06/news/feature2.html

What I think is hillarious is that the main thing that changed Barbara's mind was an empty evidence bag lying on the crime scene which may or may not have later been used to transport evidence. *LOL*

Can't wait for Brown's second book which is going to blow this case wide open. Pity we have been waiting about 5 years for it now.

No Dani. I know what Chris used to change Barbara's mind. He got me with it for a while too. He had a photo of the u-room door print, and the Patterson's kid's book in sheet. (supposedly)

Looked real as hell by the way. He gave me the glass, and I identified it as Chad's (supposedly) middle finger top of second inner knuckle. No problem. The only problem was that that he kept the book in card folded over so that I couldn't see the name, but later revealed it as well as Chad's criminal history. As well as a story that Chad had a cousin 2 doors down from the Routiers who he visited often. Drove a dark colored car. Daddy's doing the investigation. You know the rest. This was 8.5 years ago, before I ever wrote word one on a web site, and then it was as a supporter right here on the newly opened website forum. Ask DP, she remembers.

Problem was, I had access to information. I really researched it. I understood blood evidence. If you know Chris, he is a jokester. He likes to trick people. He tests people that way. If you catch him in his bull***** he knows he can respect you.

DP can tell you, and many others here on WS just how many times I called Chris publically on stuff and how many times he admitted that I got him.

He got Barbara, that's all. I can totally see how it happened. He almost got me too. Barbara and I have talked about this, but she just has so many doubts now. She's a good lady, trying to do the right thing. I don't care what anyone else has to say about her. I knew her a long time before Darlie from the Victim's Assistance Department. There isn't a bad bone in her body.
If anything, the only fault she has is having too big of a heart.

In the article above the author said that the clincher for Barbara was an evidence bag which was lying in a pool of blood that the police had tried to cover up. That was what I was referring to.

So with Chad's print are you saying it WASN'T his print that was on the card or what? *confused*

As for Chris, he's a weird duck, I'll give you that. But have little doubt that he is brilliant. He can't spell to save his life, or form a correct sentence, but neither can a lot of smart people. But you can't underestimate him. He got to more people than Barbara and I, you can believe that.
I haven't spoken to him in a year or so now, but only because I have moved and it's my choice. We had a good working relationship for years after I knew he was full of crap. I wish I could explain it. He did amazing magic card tricks and slight of hand. I mean really awesome. You could give him any numbers, many many and ask him to do multiplication in his head, and he could do it in an instant and be right. Hell, you had to use a calculater to check him, but he was always right, and had the answer within seconds. He knew several languages and was versed in politics and philosophy.
It was like hanging out with a constant test. I don't know how else to explain our friendship. He'd call me with some big tip, or promise to "party" with Darin, or had some news guy on the other line. You just never knew what he was up to next. You had to think about his motives as much as you had to think about Darlie. He just thought I was so cool because I always caught on to his BS, and I thought he was interesting because he never tired of the tests. He has several friends in the case, namely Darin. They are thick as theives, partying (last I heard) damn near nightly. He's also got the ear of several prominant local news people, namely Jeff Chrilley and others. You can tell by Chrilly's reports on Darlie that Chris got to him too. But then again it's been a while since Chrilly reported on Darlie. Maybe he figured out the game too.

No Dani it wasn't. I accessed the real print and it was different. What can I say. I have no idea how Chris pulled it off, but then again, he snuck a hand scanner into the DAs evidence room. He's no dummy.

But the bottom line is that the real print was different that the print Chris showed me, and the blood pointed to one person only. And it wasn't Chad. It was Darlie.

Because the "print" is one of those top secret things. It works because the supporters aren't suppose to tell anyone, although they always do. It's one of those super secret things that will come into the "next trial".

I was talking to Chris, online here on WS, probably 7 years ago or something and told him that it was a real shame that they didn't take the kids prints, that I thought that the print belonged to one of them, but unfortunately they would have to dig them up to find out.

Next thing you know, they are digging up the kids, cutting off their hands....you can't believe the guilt I feel on that one. Who else was there? Jeff Chrilly. Camera at the ready.

There is a lot of archives on the bull Chris tried to pull off on that one. Try Candy Rose.

Spin or what.

I have always been suspicious of the kid because of the closeness to the whole scene and all. He supposedly went to the house with Mulders secretary before the murders-according to MTJD. He has been convicted of a drive by now .
The car -the dark car has disappeared, no record of sale no record of junk out totaled or crushed. The dark car was registered to another family member.

See this is what has me really mad about the whole affair. All the books and people who supposedly saw the case as a way to profit themselves.

Chris, Barb, everyone jumped on the bandwagon. Darlie's case is very full of holes when you look at everything. The boys deaths mean so little to most people as they just want to feel good about killing a guilty person and Darlie's strange behavior lets them do just that. The books are geared to making people hate Darlie and the sources for the information "revealed" to the authors is questionable. I take all of the books with a grain of salt.

My own Mama says BELIEVE ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU READ AND NONE OF WHAT YOU HEAR.

Since I knew her I don't see her behavior as strange in fact I see typical Darlie Lynn.

Thats why I'm looking to the blood evidence and setting up the experiment I have discussed.

G.I.RattlesnakeJane said:
Spin or what.

I have always been suspicious of the kid because of the closeness to the whole scene and all. He supposedly went to the house with Mulders secretary before the murders-according to MTJD. He has been convicted of a drive by now .
The car -the dark car has disappeared, no record of sale no record of junk out totaled or crushed. The dark car was registered to another family member.

There's no evidence that Chad Patterson was involved in this crime. What you are suggesting smacks of conspiracy given his father's work in this case. He's just a red herring used by the defense, just as the dark car is a red herring. No make, no model, no plate no, no description of occupants. A dark car was stopped in the vicinity of the murders that very night and the occupants/car searched but nothing was found. What evidence would we expect to find in a car? There's no blood trail leading from the home, so no blood in the car. He left the murder weapon at the scene so no knife to be found, nothing stolen from the house so no goods, money, credit cards, or drugs to be found in the car.

The boys deaths mean so little to most people as they just want to feel good about killing a guilty person and Darlie's strange behavior lets them do just that.

This is completely out of line. How dare you give yourself permission to speak for "most people."

NO ONE feels good about executing anyone, even Darlie Routier.

I have not read this book, but is this- or any part of it true?

Before he went, Brown read all the newspaper coverage on the trial, and by the time he was done, he was intrigued by some of the inconsistencies in the state's case. If Darlie slashed her own throat by the sink, as the state alleged, why was her blood on her pillow on the couch where she lay asleep?

Jeana (DP) said:
This is completely out of line. How dare you give yourself permission to speak for "most people."

I agree Jeana! I've always been upset that there is never any talk of finding justice for the boys. Where is their website! It's always "let's get Darlie out of jail", not "let's punish the real killer!"

SanQuentinvisitor said:
I have not read this book, but is this- or any part of it true?

Why was there no blood on the couch if she was slashed there while she was asleep, Chris? She could very easily have moved that pillow and bled on it.

SQV, Chris Brown is not a forensics expert, he has no qualifications so anything in that book is his personal opinion only. Some of it is so off the mark it isn't funny. Take those prints on that blanket he is trying to allege are boot prints of an intruder. Gee they sure look like bare feet to me and we know that Darlie was the only intruder with bare, bloody feet.

cami said:
Why was there no blood on the couch if she was slashed there while she was asleep, Chris? She could very easily have moved that pillow and bled on it.

SQV, Chris Brown is not a forensics expert, he has no qualifications so anything in that book is his personal opinion only. Some of it is so off the mark it isn't funny. Take those prints on that blanket he is trying to allege are boot prints of an intruder. Gee they sure look like bare feet to me and we know that Darlie was the only intruder with bare, bloody feet.
I figured as much.

It's a very good thing that the courts limit the 'evidence' that can be brought into an appeal, or this process could take forever with all the half baked nutcases that attach themselves to these 'high profile' cases. Really a shame that Darlie's family fell into a trap of being yanked by these shysters....

I think he is/was doing a real disservice to that family by giving them all this false hope. It's her family that has to deal with this aftermath. Darlie knows the truth and is allowing it all to go on while she sits there in her cell thinking up ways to keep the facade going. She is to blame for all of her families pain; past, present and future, I'm afraid.

SanQuentinvisitor said:
I think he is/was doing a real disservice to that family by giving them all this false hope. It's her family that has to deal with this aftermath. Darlie knows the truth and is allowing it all to go on while she sits there in her cell thinking up ways to keep the facade going. She is to blame for all of her families pain; past, present and future, I'm afraid.
Yes, Darlie has ruined many people's lives, not just Damon and Devon's, not even just the families, but friends, and even strangers who get caught in her web.
Some of the Routier and Kee family didn't even see most of the trial. They weren't allowed in because they were testifying. They have recieved most of their information from others.IMO Then spew it on TV. The testimony usually contradicts what they say so that's why I think they've never read the darn things.

From a recent doc. I saw on Darlie, I think they have broken ties with Chris. He was called a "source" through out. That tickles me because many of Darlie's supporters take that book as gospel

Thats why I'm looking to the blood evidence and setting up the experiment I have discussed.
Actually, that's a good way to do it. That's what finally got me in the end. I was originally a supporter of Darlie's but when I tried to sit down the with blood evidence, it was clearly her. BTW-I was a member of Homicide Investigators of Texas, and I looked at the blood evidence for several months before becoming convinced.
Once I completed my analysis, the rest of the house of cards fell..........

beesy said:
[/color]
So that picture of the pillow with the blood spots on it is Darlie's pillow, but it does show that was cut on the couch, right?

No cuts on the couch, no nicks from the knife at all and no blood where she says she was sleeping and attacked.

I no longer have notes on this case so I had to reread Bevel's, Linch's, Long's and Floyd's testimony on the blood on the wall that they first collected and then later removed. The most I can find is that it was blood drops and smears of blood. I will keep searching for the testimony on this so we can ascertain whose blood it was as I know some of us are waiting for me and/or Dani to answer on the wall where Damon was found. However, I'll just throw out what I think and you can have at it. I believe that both Darlie's and Damon's blood is on the wall. Darlie's because she was bleeding and Damon's because he was stabbed there by Darlie and not an intruder. Now I am off to find the testimony on this......

Jeana (DP) said:

"Most people" aren't the posters here, let me make that plain. Just look around on the internet a lot of untrue things are said about both sides. Some of it very distasteful.
At least here it seems people want to discuss crime evidence and don't dwell on the macabre. Let me say I'm Sorry if you personally took offense to that post.
:truce:
I DIDN'T MEAN ANYONE HERE.

cami[color=black said:
][/color]
No cuts on the couch, no nicks from the knife at all and no blood where she says she was sleeping and attacked.

Crap I meant NO cuts. I left out the most important word ha! I was trying to ask if the picture shown in MTJD with blood on it is the pillow Darlie said she was using or is it the pillow that Devon was using with the case taken off?

"Most people" aren't the posters here, let me make that plain. Just look around on the internet a lot of untrue things are said about both sides. Some of it very distasteful.
At least here it seems people want to discuss crime evidence and don't dwell on the macabre. Let me say I'm Sorry if you personally took offense to that post.
:truce:
I DIDN'T MEAN ANYONE HERE.

What happens on the rest of the internet doesn't interest me. Every poster that has ever come here to discuss the Routier case DOES care about the boys. They've cried for them and they pray for their souls, which is more than I can say about their own mother. Even those of us who think Darlie should be executed will not be doing a happy dance the day it happens.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back