Spartanburg, SC Sheriff to women...ARM YOURSELVES...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shutterfly

Reaction score
Gun sales in Spartanburg and the surrounding areas just went through the roof today. Our fearless leader (and he IS fearless) has now told us that we must protect ourselves.

Yesterday afternoon, Sheriff Chuck Wright made these bold statements, in a press conference, in the wake of a sexual assault on a woman in a public park. Most of us within earshot almost swallowed our tongues. I'm curious to know how you feel about what he said. The video is included in the article at the link provided.

Here are the highlights....... all directly quoted from Chuck's mouth. I have a great deal of respect for Chuck, but he's sounding a little Charles Bronson-ish, aka The Vigilante to me, and it's a little scary. He's typically a real showboater anyway, but this is way far out there even for Chuck Wright. He's a loudmouth, but in all fairness, I believe Chuck is a good cop. I live one county over. You be the judge. I'm curious to know how it sounds to those outside of the immediate area. My expectations are not favorable.

"Our form of justice is not making it."
"Carry a concealed weapon. That'll fix it."
"Lance (the park attacker) has had more than 20 charges dating back to 1983.
"Lance has been in jail more often than I have. I run the jail and Lance gets out easier. And I'm aggravated."
"Liberals call me and tell me the chain-gang form of justice isn't working. Well, let me inform you, your form of justice isn't working either."
"It's too bad someone with a concealed weapons permit didn't walk by. That would fix it. People are tired of doing the right thing and criminals getting away with their actions."
"I want you to get a concealed weapons permit."
"They make this right here (a fanny pack) where you can conceal a small pistol in them. They got one called The Judge that shoots a .45 or a .410 shell. You ain't got to be accurate; you just have to get close."
"I'm tired of looking at victims saying, 'There's life after this' … I'm tired of saying, 'We're sorry, we can't keep them in jail.'"
"In my view, gun control is when you can get your barrel back on the target quick. That’s gun control."
"I want you to get a concealed weapons permit. Don't get Mace. Get a firearm."
"I think I better stop before I get sanctioned."

http://www.wyff4.com/news/29638219/detail.html

And there's this......on the tail end of this, if I shoot someone in my yard now, do you suppose the "Chuck told me to do it" defense will fly? :waitasec: Didn't he say that the justice system isn't going to protect me? :waitasec: Eek!

All I can say is he's right ! I'm actually impressed to hear that come from an officals mouth, because in this day and age, it's the truth .

I hate to say this, but I am begining to feel as jaded as Chuck! I am armed at home and I would not hesitate to shoot anyone that came in here to harm me in a new york minute. I have spent years target practicing and am very confident with a gun. I carried a blade when I bartended as well. I have been attacked before and it will not happen again. The thing is, if they are in my house, the law here says shoot and by golly, I will. Its true, the criminals have more rights than I do. Guns dont kill, people do.

http://www2.wspa.com/news/2011/nov/01/sheriffs-urging-women-rush-get-guns-ar-2638774/

At Sheriff's Urging, Women Rush to Get Guns

It seems women are listening to an Upstate sheriff who this week urged them to embrace a vigilante form of justice by carrying concealed weapons.

At a Monday news conference where he announced the arrest of an accused rapist, Spartanburg County Sheriff Chuck Wright said women should apply for concealed weapons and use them to protect themselves.

“The phone has been ringing off the hook since last night,” said David Blanton, a master instructor at Top Gun Shooting in Boiling Springs.

“I’ve had 16 women call … and maybe eight to ten husbands call who want their wives to go through my class,” Blanton said. “It’s been nuts.”

As he held up a fanny pack at his news conference yesterday the sheriff explained, "you can conceal a small pistol in them … they got one called The Judge that shoots a .45 or a .410 shell. You ain't got to be accurate. You just have to get close," the sheriff said.

Wright explained that the current “form of justice” wasn’t working, as he blamed the justice system for letting repeat offenders out of prison too early. And he said he was sick and tired of looking at women who’ve been victimized and trying to tell them that life goes on.

more at link

A couple of months ago, my upstairs neighbor in the apartment from hell building, decided to buy guns, get a permit, and learn to shoot them. This man is right - our justice system is NOT working - we knew it before he said it, and we don't even live in the same state.

WOMEN, and men, protect yourselves.

I understand what he is saying. No one is going to be by your side 24/7 to protect you. This world is very scary these days.

I do fear that old adage of most people are harmed or killed by their own weapon, as the attacker will be quicker thinking/stronger and grab it from you. I also wonder how many people can claim self defense and get no jail time for killing or even just harming the attacker.

It is a double edged sword.

If you feel safer with a gun, get one if you know you can use it and use it quickly, no hesitation.

This world has been going crazy for a long time. Criminals, it seems, are getting bolder with their crimes. We are locked and loaded at this house. I wouldn't hesitate for one second to shoot an intruder nor would I only fire once, I would unload everything I've got and be reaching for a second clip.... Regular practice at a firing range is essential for women to become familiar with their weapons and to improve accuracy. My daughters are well versed in firearms and the safety and responsibility that comes with ownership. (Thanks, to their loving Dad who knew he couldn't be everywhere, all the time to protect them.) I think that it is great that there are women that are purchasing guns for self defense and protection.

The rate of forcible rates per 100,000 residents in South Carolina is slightly more than half what it was 20 years ago.

http://www.disastercenter.com/crime/sccrime.htm

Half. And if the existing laws are still not adequate to keep rapists in jail, then those laws can be changed.

People come here and scare one another quite well without help from the hysterical sheriff of Spartanburg.

And what does "Criminals have more rights than I have!" mean, anyway?

Locked and loaded in your own home, is one thing-- this guy is saying do that in a public park and maybe YOU"LL get the chance to kill this SOB. Very bold, indeed, Sheriff. Just hope Johnny Public doesn't end up in the prison the other guy knows how to beat. moo

Locked and loaded in your own home, is one thing-- this guy is saying do that in a public park and maybe YOU"LL get the chance to kill this SOB. Very bold, indeed, Sheriff. Just hope Johnny Public doesn't end up in the prison the other guy knows how to beat. moo

And maybe you'll miss and hit the child on the jungle gym behind him.

My brother taught me three things:
1. If your life is truly in danger, a gun will give you a better shot of not dying.

2. If you have a gun and you pull it, you better fire it. No hesitation.

3. If you shoot, shoot to kill. That way they can't come back and sue you later.

I love my brother and he has a good head on his shoulders. I have a gun, legally obtained and papered, I know how to use it, but in public, I do prefer to carry a knife. Less chance that I would harm a bystander.

Good for him...It about time a LE official tell how it is.

The sheriff sounds unhinged. Why do I have images of Boss Hogg in my head reading this? Or Foghorn Leghorn? He's far from fearless. He sounds hysterical. There might be a reason the perception of escalating crime exists in this city, sounds like the police competence leaves a bit to be desired. :waitasec:

The sheriff sounds unhinged. Why do I have images of Boss Hogg in my head reading this? Or Foghorn Leghorn? He's far from fearless. He sounds hysterical. There might be a reason the perception of escalating crime exists in this city, sounds like the police competence leaves a bit to be desired. :waitasec:

Oh, I beg to differ...he is definitely fearless..or dumb as a wall. I still can't stop shaking my head...I just can't believe he said that crap...and on camera no less. Although hysterical he could very well be. He seems a little 'off' to me at that press conference and I've seen him on television almost daily for going on seven years now. I'm still not sure what crawled up his rear. He's never done anything like this. It's as if he snapped or something. After watching the pc, the first thought that formed in my head was "dam Chuck, take a midol and be quiet dude.' What bothers me is that he's either oblivious, or totally dismissive of the fact that people worship him. That they do, and they do what he tells them to do. First everyone was out buying guns and applying for CWP's...and now the backlash I truly feared is starting..... there may be others but if so, they aren't being reported yet....just this one so far.....

http://www2.wspa.com/news/2011/nov/02/5/spartanburg-county-man-shoots-one-trespasser-ar-2645047/

Spartanburg County Man Shoots Trespasser

The man pointed a shotgun at the two trespassers and told them to stop. One of the men reached into his waist belt, and that frightened the property owner. He fired one shot at the two men, hitting one of them in the upper arm.

Deputies say the pair started to run, when one of them shouted, "Get him." The two then ran towards the property owner, who fired another shot, but missed the men.

Deputies later arrested suspects after they got away.

Officials have identified one of the men as 23-year-old Donald Clinton Piper. He has been charged with trespassing after warning.

The other man is being treated at the hospital for his injuries. He will be booked when he is released.

No charges will be filed against the homeowner. He says he has been having problems with people trying to steal scrap metal.

more at link....

This is going to get ugly...... he needs to get up there to the podium and undo what he did....fast.

This guy shot today will find some crafty southern lawyer who will sue the Sheriff's department and Chuck...for starting the hysteria that he'll say got him shot.

http://www.wyff4.com/news/29665765/detail.html

an interview, in his office, concerning what he said at the press conference

"I'm not for everybody having a weapon, by no means. I don't think some people should be able to procreate, much less have a weapon. I think the good law-abiding citizens that haven't violated the law and want to arm themselves should be able to do so -- as long as they meet the criteria of what state law says."
Wright said, "I've gotten calls from California (to) Colombia, South America. Somebody called me a while ago and told me I was on the front of the United Kingdom paper in Canada."

"It's been crazy,” he said. "I talked to a news reporter in New York, one of about eight, and he didn't understand why people should arm themselves. I said, ‘Let's put it this way -- if you had a little small dog at home and he bit you 20 times, you'd make some arrangements for him not to bite you anymore.’ He said, ‘Well that's true.’ I said, “Well, we had 20 opportunities to make sure this guy didn't rape anybody and we failed to do it."
more at link

OMG will someone put a sock in that boy's mouth?!?!?! Geez-o-flip man, dam

I tried but couldn't find out for sure whether Sheriff is an elected position in Spartanburg. I'm guessing it is and this Sheriff is pandering to the fears of the electorate.

I tried but couldn't find out for sure whether Sheriff is an elected position in Spartanburg. I'm guessing it is and this Sheriff is pandering to the fears of the electorate.

It's quite possible. That tactic worked in our state this year. Sadly, as of Nov. 1, CCW is now legal in the state of WI. There was no increase in crime statistically, but the machine behind the Rep. party was able to stoke fears about "our rights being taken away" to the point of hysteria here. The sheriff in Spartanburg better do some concerted PR ASAP before his little tantrum gets someone killed.

he sounds incredibly frustrated ... maybe he needs a nice, long vacation or to retire

I feel for him b/c I believe law enforcement to be the toughest job there is

I can't really judge b/c I live in another country but I will say that I don't know anyone who owns a gun, except some buddies of my brother who have old hunting guns that they never use

I shot a pellet gun once when I was a kid - that's the extent of my experience

we just don't do guns here & the majority of crimes don't involve guns

http://www.wyff4.com/news/29665765/detail.html

an interview, in his office, concerning what he said at the press conference

"I'm not for everybody having a weapon, by no means. I don't think some people should be able to procreate, much less have a weapon. I think the good law-abiding citizens that haven't violated the law and want to arm themselves should be able to do so -- as long as they meet the criteria of what state law says."
Wright said, "I've gotten calls from California (to) Colombia, South America. Somebody called me a while ago and told me I was on the front of the United Kingdom paper in Canada."

"It's been crazy,” he said. "I talked to a news reporter in New York, one of about eight, and he didn't understand why people should arm themselves. I said, ‘Let's put it this way -- if you had a little small dog at home and he bit you 20 times, you'd make some arrangements for him not to bite you anymore.’ He said, ‘Well that's true.’ I said, “Well, we had 20 opportunities to make sure this guy didn't rape anybody and we failed to do it."
more at link

OMG will someone put a sock in that boy's mouth?!?!?! Geez-o-flip man, dam

[bbm]

I've been trying to find that paper he mentioned ... can't find anything in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82