Deceased/Not Found OR - Sherry Eyerly, 18, Salem, 4 July 1982 *W. Smith guilty*

Seahorseladydi

Ethan’s momma forever
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I found information on Sherry about a year ago and posted it on our website, since that time ALOT of sites (encluding Doe network) have picked the story up. I have received SEVERAL emails from people asking about Sherry and even a few from some pretty strange people. I have become VERY close to her and this case. I just don't want her to be forgotten!!

Here is her info:

Sherry Eyerly Forum
Sherry Melissa Eyerly
Missing since July 4, 1982 from Salem, Marion County, Oregon

Vital Statistics:
Birth date: December 6, 1963
Age at time of disappearance: 18 years old
Height and Weight at time of Disappearance:
Distinguishing Characteristics:

Circumstances of Disappearance:
Eyerly was called into work at her part-time job delivering pizzas for Domino's Pizza on July 4, 1982.She left Domino's about 9:30 pm to deliver pizza to an address on Riverhaven Drive S near Brown Island Road. A nearby resident came across the delivery car returning from a fireworks display with his two sons. The door was open, three boxes of pizza lay on the ground and her hat was nearby. Eyerly was gone. The neighbor called the police who later determined that the delivery address did not exist. The caller had given a fictictious name and the call had been placed from a Salem motel. Investigators say the crime appeared to be carefully orchestrated, ruling out simple rape and robbery. She was likely flagged down by someone she knew - she felt comfortable enough to set the parking brake and open the door. There were no signs of a struggle. Extensive searches of the area failed to turn up anything. She has not been seen since.

Investigators:
If you have any information on Everly's whereabouts, please contact:
Detective Mike Myers
Marion County Sheriff's Office
3940 Aumsville Hwy SE
Salem OR 97301
(503)540-8096

This "near by neighbor" is a VERY well known person in Salem and "may be" involved as he knows alot of the "bad guys" that where questioned. But LE will not even think about it.......in their words "he could not be involved"..... LE is blind in this case!

How sad. I cant imagine what parents are going through when their child has been missing so long.
It does sound like it was someone she knew - since she obviously stopped her vehicle. I read that a suspect killed himself shortly after her disappearance, if he had something to do with it, we may never know where she is.
I feel so bad for her parents, and parents of all missing children. I dont know how they cope.

Prayers for this family.

That was just ONE suspect..... there are others that are involved but he was the scapegoat, and since he killed himself it was just brushed under the rug as he was the one who did it.......

The phone call traced to the Salem motel...they must have had a time that the call was made, if not from phone records then an approximate time the call came into to order the pizzas. Was the call actually from within a room at the motel? Did anyone ever try to find out names, descriptions, motel records, license plate numbers, witness accounts, etc. regarding who was around and staying at the motel at and around the time the call was made?

I live in Salem and I remember when Sherry vanished and have read all the newspaper articles. Do you remember the name of the "near by neighbor"?

Sassy

I wonder who would have known that Sherry was "called in" to deliver pizza?
It must have been her day off? Was it Sherry they were waiting for or just any pizza delivery person? If she was called in on her day off it seems like the suspect list could have been narrowed down quite a bit. Usually when you are called in you get the call from work and they want you to come in right away. Not a lot of time to notify many people that you have to go to work. Obviously whoever didn't want pizza if the pizza was still in the car. I wonder if Sherry had an ex or ex boyfriend that was giving her trouble?

About that motel room...someone had to sign the register to rent a room or was the call from the office which wouldn't make a lot of sense. Hopfull the motel owner could at least give a description of the person who rented the room. Why did LE have a lot of suspects....how would they have been involved? Had Sherry been involved with the well-to-do man who made the call to LE? So many questions but it really is an interesting case. Hope it is solved someday.

I can't get Sherry's site to work for me. Is it just my computer for some reason?

sassafras said:
I live in Salem and I remember when Sherry vanished and have read all the newspaper articles. Do you remember the name of the "near by neighbor"?

Sassy

yes, his name is George Hutchmacher (sp?) he is VERY well known in Salem and has ALOT of friends in high places!

Bobbisangel said:
I wonder who would have known that Sherry was "called in" to deliver pizza?
It must have been her day off? Was it Sherry they were waiting for or just any pizza delivery person? If she was called in on her day off it seems like the suspect list could have been narrowed down quite a bit. Usually when you are called in you get the call from work and they want you to come in right away. Not a lot of time to notify many people that you have to go to work. Obviously whoever didn't want pizza if the pizza was still in the car. I wonder if Sherry had an ex or ex boyfriend that was giving her trouble?

About that motel room...someone had to sign the register to rent a room or was the call from the office which wouldn't make a lot of sense. Hopfull the motel owner could at least give a description of the person who rented the room. Why did LE have a lot of suspects....how would they have been involved? Had Sherry been involved with the well-to-do man who made the call to LE? So many questions but it really is an interesting case. Hope it is solved someday.

I can't get Sherry's site to work for me. Is it just my computer for some reason?

She was not "called in" it was her regular work day.......

LE did not have alot of suspects at the time.... they were sure that Darrell Wilson was the one who kidnapped her only problem is he was many miles away camping that night and killed himself after LE questioned him (or someone made it look like he killed himself)

You can get to Sherry's case info from that 3 w thing then Oregonsmissingchildren DOT com just click on her picture.

Sadly Sherri's case will never be solved...... The suspects are too well connected.... her parents are even scared to look for information because they know what these "people" can do....

I hope that someday Sherri will have a peaceful resting place....

This is pretty amazing...... I HOWEVER... BELIEVE THIS MAN IS TAKING THE FALL FOR OTHERS INVOLVED...... if he can produce a body and let Sherry be put to rest then maybe I will believe he did it!

Plea deal resolves 25-year-old murder mystery

KATU for more on this

SALEM, Ore. (AP) - A 25-year-old Salem mystery over the disappearance of a young pizza-delivery woman ended Tuesday with the plea of a convicted murderer.

The Statesman-Journal reports that William Scott Smith entered a guilty plea in a hearing surrounded by law enforcement officials and attended by the victim's family.

Eyerly case: Victim's mother releases statement

A convicted serial murderer serving two life sentences pleaded guilty this morning to the 25-year-old unsolved disappearance of pizza delivery girl Sherry Eyerly.

William Scott Smith entered a guilty plea before Marion County Presiding Judge Paul Lipscomb in a brief hearing heavily attended by law enforcement officials and Eyerly’s family.

I'm glad the family has some closure. Such a sad story.

30 years ago...

Sherry Melissa Eyerly
Missing since July 4, 1982 from Salem, Marion County, Oregon.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

Date Of Birth: December 6, 1963
Age at Time of Disappearance: 18 years old
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; blue eyes.
Height and Weight: 62 inches; 100 lbs
Clothing: Blue jeans and Domino's pizza shirt (red/white/blue in color)
DNA: Available
Dentals: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance

Eyerly was called into work at her part-time job delivering pizzas for Domino's Pizza on July 4, 1982. She was sent to deliver three large pizzas to a remote location on Riverhaven Drive near Minto-Brown Island Park late at night. She left Domino's about 21:30. A nearby resident came across the delivery car about one half hour later. The driver's door was open, the engine running, the headlights on and the emergency brake set. The pizzas lay on the ground near the car, and Eyerly was gone.

The neighbor called the police who later determined that the delivery address did not exist. The caller had given a fictitious name and the call had been placed from a Salem motel.

Investigators say the crime appeared to be carefully orchestrated, ruling out simple rape and robbery. She was likely flagged down by someone she knew - she felt comfortable enough to set the parking brake and open the door. There were no signs of a struggle. Extensive searches of the area failed to turn up anything. Eyerly has not been seen since.

William Scott Smith, a convicted serial murderer serving two life sentences pleaded guilty on December 17, 2007 to the disappearance of Sherry Eyerly. Smith said Eyerly died during a botched kidnap attempt.

After kidnapping the wrong woman, Smith strangled his victim to death in a secluded spot along the Little Pudding River, he told police. He left her body in the river.

Investigators
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:

Detective Mike Myers
503-540-8096

Cold Case Squad
503-540-8006

Email: sheriff@co.marion.or.us

Agency Case Number: 82-100070

Source Information:

NamUs
Statesman Journal 2007
The Doe Network: Case File 1482DFOR

LINK:

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1482dfor.html

Bumping with NAMUS:

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/6048/

I recently started digging into this case and I noticed that it is highly likely that Smith was still residing in Idaho 4 months prior to Eyerlys disappearance. Can anyone else help confirm this. He was convicted of indecent exposure in ID in 1981 and then was later questioned in the disappearance of Lisa Chambers. Lisa didn't go missing until 11/2/1982. It wasn't until after Smith was interviewed by Ada Co. Sheriffs office that he decided to return to Salem, OR. If this is true, he would not be Sherry's killer despite the confession.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back