Identified! OH - Londonderry, WhtMale 'Scioto John', drowned, Jun'75 - Arthur Flowers

CarlK90245

UID Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
LONDONDERRY --An unknown man's body had been at rest in Londonderry Cemetery for 36 years until Thursday, when the Ross County Coroner's Office exhumed his grave.

The mystery began June 21, 1975, when a fisherman found a body in the Scioto River north of Chillicothe, according to Gazette archives. Benny Roberts told the sheriff's office at the time he had been fishing from a boat on the river when he spotted the nude body of a man caught on a snag in the middle of the river.

The case was tucked away and almost forgotten, but it was resurrected in early summer when the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System -- NamUs -- contacted the Ross County Coroner's Office.

"NamUs was doing a national search for unidentified persons to add to their database when they came across this record at the Hamilton County Coroner's Office, the location of the initial autopsy," said Mike Ratliff, Ross County Coroner's Office chief investigator. "We were contacted to see if this individual had ever been identified. We searched our records and found that he hadn't been. This was the first time we were made aware of this case."

Read More:
http://www.chillicothegazette.com/a...y-coroner-exhumes-1975-drowning-victim-s-body

from Carl's link:

NamUs is credited with resolving at least 62 of the missing and unidentified person cases in its databases.

only 62???????

there must be some error there.

from Carl's link:

NamUs is credited with resolving at least 62 of the missing and unidentified person cases in its databases.

only 62???????

there must be some error there.

No, that's probably right. There are plenty more that started out as NamUs cases, but were solved by other means (e.g., CODIS, AFIS, MP Families searching DoeNet, etc.).

http://www.chillicothegazette.com/article/20120518/NEWS01/120518003

9:57 AM, May. 18, 2012

CHILLICOTHE — After 37 years as John Doe, an unidentified man who drowned in the Scioto River in June 1975 likely has his best chance of regaining his identity.

bilde

Amazing work. The reconstruction made this happen.

RIP Arthur.

Is there a picture of Mr. Flowers? I'd love to see how close they were to the reconstruction.

Is there a picture of Mr. Flowers? I'd love to see how close they were to the reconstruction.

There's a photo of him, kind of blurry, at the link just above.

Poor guy. An inpatient at the VA hospital who disappeared in 1975, he must have been a Vietnam vet. RIP Arthur.

RIP Mr Flowers- gives my heart a wee lift to see these unidentified being given back their identity

Here's a side-by-side of Arthur Flowers and the recon.

2683916820045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back