Penn State's athletic director plus ex-Paterno assistant charged in child sex case

Status
Not open for further replies.

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Penn State’s AD Charged With Perjury In Child Sex Case Against Former Paterno Assistant (Deadspin)

Ex-Penn St. defensive coordinator charged in child sex case (Sports Illustrated)
HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) -- A former defensive coordinator who was integral for decades to Penn State's success in football was accused Saturday of sexually abusing eight boys, and the school's athletic director and an administrator were charged with perjury and failing to report what they knew about the allegations in a case that prosecutors said uncovered a years-long trail of a predator and those who protected him.

Former coach Jerry Sandusky, 67, of State College, was arrested Saturday and released on $100,000 bail after being arraigned on 40 criminal counts, the state attorney general's office said. Athletic director Tim Curley, 57, and Penn State vice president for finance and business Gary Schultz, 62, both of Boalsburg, were expected to turn themselves in Monday in Harrisburg. Schultz's position includes oversight of the university's police department.
---
more at link above
Former Paterno Assistant Indicted On Charges Of "Involuntary Deviate Sexual Intercourse," Among Other Things (Deadspin)

Child sex charges filed against Jerry Sandusky; two top Penn State University
officials charged with perjury & failure to report suspected child abuse

(lengthy press release detailing specific acts and charges, from Pennsylvania Atty General's office)

I just read the grand jury's report and it made me sick. In 2002 Sandusky was seen by a football team graduate assistant raping a child, who appeared to be about 10 years old, in the showers of the Penn State athletic facility. The graduate assistant called his dad, who told him to come home and later tell the football coach, Joe Paterno. Paterno was told, so he went to the Athletic Director. The AD, Curley, and university Vice Pres, Schultz, had meetings with the graduate assistant and with Paterno. NOBODY went to the police...not the graduate assistant, his dad, Paterno, Curley or Schultz. Only Curley and Schultz are in legal jeopardy because it appears they lied to the grand jury but as far as I'm concerned everybody who knew about it is culpable. Sandusky went on abusing kids for years after that.

I have no doubt that Sandusky received very preferential treatment from Penn State staff because of his history at the university. He was even allowed continuing use of the Penn State facilities even though he was supposedly banned. The guy had proved he was a creep over and over and just got enabled. At least the school district he worked for cut their ties with him when their staff became aware of his suspicious behavior.

Two tweets from one of my favorite sports columnists:

WhitlockJason Jason Whitlock
RT @SPORTSbyBROOKS: June 1998: PSU discovers Sandusky showering w/kids. Dec. 1998: PSU pays 4 child rape victim 2 accompany Sandusky 2 Bowl
33 minutes ago

WhitlockJason Jason Whitlock
Timeline @SPORTSbyBROOKS is filled with shocking details. Worth a look. JoPa must go today! It's O V E R.
26 minutes ago

From Dan Wetzel's Yahoo! Sports article linked above:
It is actually even more than that, a stomach-turning 23-page grand jury report that could be the ugliest scandal in the history of college athletics.

The failure of Penn State officials to call in the proper authorities potentially allowed the alleged sexual predator to live free for an additional nine-and-a-half years

Second Mile Foundation. At risk youth.

Just came back to remove the link to this charitable orginization. The last thing at risk youth need is to be put at more risk.

Just noting that Dottie Huck who is a member of Second Mile says we should help Mr. Sandusky. He made a mistake. As usual someone mentions all the good a pedophile has done as if it outweighs the seuxal and mental abuse of children.

Dottie, a mistake is missing your alarm clock. A mistake doesn't ruin the lives of children and their families. A mistake doesn't have children up until adulthood doubting the dang human race thanks to people like this pedophile.

"Jer's law". In his biography it's obvious this guy lied his tail off. "Touched". I don't plan to read it.

How the heck did he get to adopt a child out of foster care from this orginization? As an adult none the less.

I subscribe to Rivals sports forums. I just went to the Penn State forum. One father write that he sent his son to football camps put on by this predator twice and it was a good experience. I urged him to talk to his son. He could be a victim or a witness.

I don't know how Joe Paterno avoided prosecution. He failed to report this to le, and allowed this guy further access to football facilities for years after, accompanied by young boys. This dates back to before 1998. That was when he was 1st investigated by the u, yet the grad assistant witnessed this in 2002, 4 years later.

Again from Yahoo! Sports's Dan Wetzel, link above:

Instead, thus far, all we’ve gotten is a pathetic statement from [PSU President Graham] Spanier who quite incredibly deemed Sandusky’s charges as merely “troubling” (and said little more) and then expressed continued support for Curley and Schultz.

“The allegations about a former coach are troubling, and it is appropriate that they be investigated thoroughly,” the statement read. “Protecting children requires the utmost vigilance … I wish to say that Tim Curley and Gary Schultz have my unconditional support.”

Really, that’s it? That’s what the guy who is running Penn State has to say? That’s all he thought was appropriate?

Disgusting story. You know what, though? When I read the details, I could have sworn that I'd read another story which was almost identical. I did some research and discovered that the other case concerns Edward Kramer, best known from Dragon Com. We have a thread:

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149257"]Founder Of DragonCon Arrested In Motel With Boy Despite His Bad Spine - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

It's so distressing that a man's position and reputation cause others to look away, when it's clear that something horrid is taking place. Where is their compassion for the children?

Mr. Kramer has avoided prosecution for over a decade, pleading health problems. So many others knew just what was going on and deemed it not serious enough to report, very similar to Sandusky's case.

SHAME on all these men. To stand by in silence while a child's life is destroyed.....

What is the President of Penn State doing? Trying to destroy his school backing these liars?

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...z-offers-unconditional-support-to-ad/related/

Posted by John Taylor on November 5, 2011, 2:06 PM EDT
Push Broom

If you were curious as to where Penn State’s top administrator stood on his athletic director’s impending arrest, wonder no longer.

In a statement, PSU president Graham Spanier expressed unconditional support for AD Tim Curley as well as another top school official, who have both been charged with perjury and failure to report suspected sexual abuse of a minor. Former Nittany Lions assistant Jerry Sandusky was indicted by a grand jury Friday on 40 counts involving alleged sexual activity with children; Curley and PSU vice president for finance and business Gary Schultz testified in front of the grand jury last January and, per the charges, perjured themselves as well as failed to report suspected sexual abuse to the authorities.

This is so disturbing.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/c...d-tim-curley-charged-perjury-article-1.972670

In the article above, it states a grad student witnessed Sandusky molesting a child in a locker room and went to the school authorities (with his father) and apparently no action was really taken. It makes me wonder why they didn't go directly to the police? Actually witnessing child abuse like that is definitely worthy of police involvement.

Second Mile Foundation. At risk youth.

Just came back to remove the link to this charitable orginization. The last thing at risk youth need is to be put at more risk.

Just noting that Dottie Huck who is a member of Second Mile says we should help Mr. Sandusky. He made a mistake. As usual someone mentions all the good a pedophile has done as if it outweighs the seuxal and mental abuse of children.

Dottie, a mistake is missing your alarm clock. A mistake doesn't ruin the lives of children and their families. A mistake doesn't have children up until adulthood doubting the dang human race thanks to people like this pedophile.

"Jer's law". In his biography it's obvious this guy lied his tail off. "Touched". I don't plan to read it.

How the heck did he get to adopt a child out of foster care from this orginization? As an adult none the less.

In one of the Pennlive links posted in this thread, Ms. Dottie actually refers to it as a LITTLE mistake. I hope she is removed from the Board today.

As someone who lives here, I can tell you that the high and mighty Penn State will do anything and everything to cover up a scandal. The grad assistant SHOULD have reported what he say to the State Police (not University Police) rather than Paterno right from the get go. But, sadly, that's not how things are done on campus. They have their own little world and do things their own way, because they can. Don't be surprised if Spanier gets some charges thrown his way here soon....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrsrb10