Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
groenenberg_corinne.jpg

Missing Since: November 1, 1973 from Modesto, California
Classification: Endangered Missing
Date Of Birth: October 4, 1959
Height and Weight: 5'6, 115 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Brown hair, blue eyes. Groenenberg has a surgical scar on her abdomen and a strawberry-type birthmark on her back. Some agencies give her first name as Connie.

Details of Disappearance

Groenenberg departed from her family's residence in the Compton, California area on November 1, 1973. A friend told authorities that Groenenberg walked to the highway near Modesto, California and began hitchhiking shortly afterwards. The friend saw Groenenberg enter a blue or green truck with an unidentified male driver. Groenenberg has never been heard from again.

Groenenberg's family moved from southern California to the Compton area several weeks prior to her disappearance. Her mother was diagnosed with scleroderma, a tissue disease, shortly after Groenenberg vanished. Her parents were forced to leave the Modesto area as a result of her mother's condition. Groenenberg's parents have continued to own her childhood home in the southern part of the state. Her mother said that they hoped Groenenberg might return to see her former residence. Her case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Modesto Police Department
209-572-9532
OR
209-572-9500

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...43852643.31702.161183953929612&type=3&theater

I so wish I could put pictures side by side...perhaps someone can help...I am trying to see if anyone thinks Corinne resembles several unidentified alcala photos. See the link above for one of the photos I feel might be Corinne.

Hi Irish Eyes! There definitely appears to be a similarity there, but at the time Corinne went missing, Alcala was in prison for his attack on Tali S.

I came to this thread simply because it was a young girl missing from the 70's in California. I think of Alcala with every single one. Sure wish we could find out who those photos belong to and if they are still alive.

groenenberg_corinne.jpg

Missing Since: November 1, 1973 from Modesto, California
Date Of Birth: October 4, 1959
Height and Weight: 5'6, 115 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Brown hair, blue eyes. Groenenberg has a surgical scar on her abdomen and a strawberry-type birthmark on her back. Some agencies give her first name as Connie.

Details of Disappearance

Groenenberg departed from her family's residence in the Compton, California area on November 1, 1973. A friend told authorities that Groenenberg walked to the highway near Modesto, California and began hitchhiking shortly afterwards. The friend saw Groenenberg enter a blue or green truck with an unidentified male driver. Groenenberg has never been heard from again.

Groenenberg's family moved from southern California to the Compton area several weeks prior to her disappearance. Her mother was diagnosed with scleroderma, a tissue disease, shortly after Groenenberg vanished. Her parents were forced to leave the Modesto area as a result of her mother's condition. Groenenberg's parents have continued to own her childhood home in the southern part of the state. Her mother said that they hoped Groenenberg might return to see her former residence. Her case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency

Modesto Police Department
209-572-9532
OR
209-572-9500

Something is off with the timeline/geography here. It's not possible to walk from a home in Compton (near LA) to a highway in Modesto, they are hundreds of miles apart.

Also it said the family moved from Southern California to Compton, which I believe is also an error because Compton is Southern California.

The Doe Network:
Case File 863DFCA
[FONT=&amp]
CGroenenberg.jpg

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Corinne June Groenenberg
Missing since November 1, 1973 from Modesto, Stanislaus County, California.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Vital Statistics[/FONT]

• [*]Date Of Birth: October 14, 1957
    [*]Age at Time of Disappearance: 16 years old
    [*]Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'6"; 115 lbs.
    [*]Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; blue eyes.
    [*]Marks, Scars: Strawberry birthmark on back, surgical scar on abdomen.
    [*]Dentals: Available
  • DNA: Available

[FONT=&amp]Circumstances of Disappearance
A family friend saw Groenenberg leave her home and followed her until she reached the highway and started to hitchhike.
She was last seen getting into a green or blue truck. The driver was male.
[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]Investigators
[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Modesto Police Department
209-572-9532
[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Agency Case Number:
[/FONT][FONT=&amp]NCIC Number: M-378718501
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.
[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Source Information:
CA DOJ
Modesto Police
Doe Network link case
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/863dfca.html

[/FONT]

I wonder what the guy who picked her up looked like. If they got a good enough look to tell that it was a man then they surely saw him well enough to give some sort of description.

How likely is it that the driver of a truck was not a man at that time? Is it possible that there was only a very vague glimpse of the driver and the witness simply assumed it was a man, especially given how common long hair was on both sexes during the early to mid 1970s?

How likely is it that the driver of a truck was not a man at that time? Is it possible that there was only a very vague glimpse of the driver and the witness simply assumed it was a man, especially given how common long hair was on both sexes during the early to mid 1970s?

Thank you for thinking outside of the box. I think this is exactly what is needed.

does it strike anybody else as weird that someone saw her walking from her home to the highway and get into a truck? was the witness following her? I feel the witness might deserve some more attention in this case. Poor girl.

Kin of Missing in Modesto Seek Leads

Article from may, 2002
Doreen Groenenberg and her husband, Cory, 75, had moved to Modesto from Southern California just a few months before Corinne vanished in 1973. They left town not long after because Doreen was stricken with scleroderma, a crippling tissue disease.

Still, the Groenenbergs haven’t sold their original Southern California home, renting it out instead just in case Corinne ``might wander by to see her old roots,″ Doreen Groenenberg said.

"The more you get up there (in age), the more you hope,″ she said. You’ve got to go on with your life, but it’s always there _ first thing when you get up in the morning and last thing when you go to bed at night.

"Every time the phone rings and the person doesn’t answer right away, I say, ’Is that you, Corinne?' "

I wonder what the guy who picked her up looked like. If they got a good enough look to tell that it was a man then they surely saw him well enough to give some sort of description.
He is definitely someone to talk to. But remember, there could have been many rides en route for her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back