HI HI -The Honolulu Strangler (1985-86)*UNSOLVED*

Kimster

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ufo2001.com
"Following the discovery of Pesce’s body police arrested the informant on May 9 as the primary suspect. The suspect’s ex-wife and girlfriend described him as a smooth talker. They also provided a potentially incriminating fetish clue, as both recalled engaging in bondage activity, allowing him to tie them up and have sex with their hands bound behind their back. His girlfriend related that on nights after they had fought, he would leave the house, and that these were the same nights as the murders. The suspect lived in Ewa Beach and worked as a mechanic at one of the air freight along Lagoon Drive. Between 8:00p.m. and 3:00a.m. the suspect was interrogated, failed a polygraph test and eventually released.
In 2005 the suspect died in California or Tennessee."
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honolulu_Strangler"]Honolulu Strangler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
http://www.crimezzz.net/serialkillers/H/HONOLULU_strangler.php

I lived in Hawaii during that time- It was a dark time in Paradise.

There was also a severed Head found in the trash shoot of one of the Downtown Apt buildings around that same time- don't think I ever heard anything about the out come of that.

I lived in Hawaii during that time- It was a dark time in Paradise.

There was also a severed Head found in the trash shoot of one of the Downtown Apt buildings around that same time- don't think I ever heard anything about the out come of that.

I lived there from April 85 to April 88 and I never heard of this one. I did hear of one they thought was maybe a cop in California at the time but never this one. I lived up at Wheeler AFB

I was there from March of 82' until 86 Lived at Moanalua Terrace, I wish I could remember more about that case-I remember the discovery just not the details or resolution.

They should at least release the suspects name that died. Heck we might be able to connect some dots if he is guilty. I sure hope also that Tenn police were aware of him!

While researching information about this forum, I've noticed that it's commonplace to list suspects for SK cases that are unsolved. Because this person who was interviewed was not ever named, perhaps LE ruled him out completely.

There is a marine base over there, right? I wonder if the perp was not a local and later hit closer to home. It would be interesting to compare "cooling off periods" of other cases and see if it fits for this time frame in Hawaii.

Murder victim’s brother says revisiting cold case could finally lead to closure

http://khon2.com/2016/11/15/murder-victims-brother-says-revisiting-cold-case-could-finally-lead-to-closure/

It’s a dark part of Hawaii’s history that’s hardly talked about.

Five females murdered on Oahu in the mid-1980s, and police believe it was the work of a serial killer.

The suspect was never caught, and the case remains open.

Regina Sakamoto was one of the victims. She was only 17 years old when she disappeared in January 1986.

“She was late for school that day,” recalled her brother, Omar Sakamoto. “It was in Waipahu. She was sitting at the bus stop in front of Diners in Waipahu.”

That was the last time anyone saw Regina Sakamoto alive. She was abducted, raped, strangled, and bound. Her body was found floating off Keehi Lagoon.

The show 'Breaking Homicide' on ID is going to run a 2 part special on the Honolulu Strangler 10-11pm and 11pm-12m this Sunday, and again 1-2am and 2-3am.

The show 'Breaking Homicide' on ID is going to run a 2 part special on the Honolulu Strangler 10-11pm and 11pm-12m this Sunday, and again 1-2am and 2-3am.

:bump:

Did anyone watch the 'Breaking Homicide' episodes?

:bump:

Did anyone watch the 'Breaking Homicide' episodes?

I saw like 45min of one of the two parts, not sure which bc I didn't know it was a 2-part deal.

It was good, they made a pretty compelling case for one particular suspect (I'm not sure if it was the guy who died in Tennessee or California or wherever, maybe they specified but I missed it).

I'd heard of the Honolulu strangler before that but didn't know much about it.

Details are patchy, when I watched it I'd just gotten home from a weekend trip and was god awfully hung over, but it was definitely worth watching.

I watched the entire episode today. His name is Howard Gay. It's very interesting. One thing the coroner noticed is 1-2 sperm on each victim which indicates he had a vasectomy and his ex wife confirmed that. LE wondered why he stopped killing women and SK's usually take a break or stop for a specific reason. Well his adult son was killed changing his tire on the side of the road and Howard went back to CA and became a born again Christian so they believe that event is why he stopped etc. He basically told on himself for the one murder and I think he was being cocky about it. He was arrested but due to lack of evidence they didn't charge him. The prosecutor said he wished he could have put him in prison. Howard Gay is dead now. I don't think they said how tho.

The link Legally Bland posted was pulled for copyright, but you can pay here if you want.

This is not a true investigative doc. Its just a refresher, like a recap of incidents that happened. I dont feel they did enough, but one of these detectives died recently. He himself never succeding in finding the Honolulu Strangler and closing the case for sure, to give closure to the victims family.

However, he fails to mention that the dna can in fact be tested today. And if the sloppy work actually retained the dna, we could test it. This is simply a sad effort on his part to beg forgiveness of his lifelong failure...... And i dont excuse his failure today.

Where is their DNA?

Where are the shoes and lowet garments? Did they believe the victims left their homes pantless and shoeless? Where is their common sense. Its simply a sad plea to forgive his wanton not give a damn about finding/prosecuting the killer. They didnt give a damn then....and they dont give a damn today.

It gets real simple folks....they do not want the bad publicity that can deter tourist dollars! Thats all they care about.

Painful truth. They want tourism money.

This recently deceased HPD investigator failed his job so Hawaii would not become another Aruba (Natalee Holloway). They (Peter Carlisle) have the victims' blood on their hands but only care about tourism dollars. Sold their souls iow

Id be interested in the nature of the bindings, what was used to bind the victims ?

It sounds like they had a good suspect but he died in 03

I would wonder why these women waiting for the bus or needing a ride somewhere would get in a Chevy (pedo) van unless they were familiar with the driver. I’m thinking it was a Honolulu city bus driver? Or else he was driving anonymously checking out these women. But it would still not seem rational for a woman to get into any strangers van.

I have a weird hunch there were two people that lured them in…to reassure them it must be safe….and one of them was a familiar female. I don’t know…just a hunch.

I’m fairly certain HPD lost the original DNA samples from the victim and the brother of the 2nd murder stated that she (Sakamoto) was cremated and her ashes were scattered in Waikiki beach. So it may be impossible to gain more of the victims DNA.

So unfortunate that the whole investigation was botched and there wasn’t the closure was not given to the families since the perp died without atonement.

I would wonder why these women waiting for the bus or needing a ride somewhere would get in a Chevy (pedo) van unless they were familiar with the driver. I’m thinking it was a Honolulu city bus driver? Or else he was driving anonymously checking out these women. But it would still not seem rational for a woman to get into any strangers van.

I have a weird hunch there were two people that lured them in…to reassure them it must be safe….and one of them was a familiar female. I don’t know…just a hunch.

I’m fairly certain HPD lost the original DNA samples from the victim and the brother of the 2nd murder stated that she (Sakamoto) was cremated and her ashes were scattered in Waikiki beach. So it may be impossible to gain more of the victims DNA.

So unfortunate that the whole investigation was botched and there wasn’t the closure was not given to the families since the perp died without atonement.

You have to remember you are dealing with experts in lowering their victims inhibitions , who often physically (at least) look the part of the harmless well intentioned Samaritan.

They spend their lives learning how to lie and manipulate people to get what they want,

Ted Bundy is a shining example of this with his full production MO's he used

In this case, may approach as a guy just trying to help, he may offer them booze, money or drugs, he may flash a badge, he may pull up and brandish a weapon and tell them to get in , he may just cruise the area trying random people until he gets one whos bold enough to get in his vehicle .

There have been experiments done with children, now I know these victims were not children but in these experiments, (done with the parents knowledge) police officers in plain clothes, would show parents how easy it was to abduct their child

The officer would approach the child and in MOST cases, less then 20 seconds, they were able to talk the child into walking away with them

They also approached teenagers, which only took a few seconds more to lower their apprehension, and walk away with a total stranger

We see is post, we think "wow how did that happen?" But people are not as cautious as we all think... otherwise crime wouldn't exist

Trust me, women/girls have red flags that goes up with any male approacher - particularly any smooth talker. Getting into a VAN with a complete male stranger, just himself, would probably not happen unless they were impaired or rendered disabled somehow. I don’t feel this would transpire in broad daylight in a cognizant state.

someone made them feel it was okay. Trust me, I had this creep on a flight sitting next to me that I couldn’t get to shut up. So I rented headphones. Then he wanted to use my cell phone and said I was married (ie, Off!). Then he got the message finally!

All 5 women could not all have fallen for a random smooth-talker. Something/someone convinced them he was safe…and your ordinary woman would not willingly cooperate unless he was their pastor/priest…and even then, they’d have 2nd thoughts.

NO! Something/one would have to have been complicit.

That’s my hunch!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back