Smokin' Joe Frazier Dies at Age 67

Jacie Estes

Medical Marijuana Advocate
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this, I always thought he was cool. RIP Champ

Updated Nov 8, 2011 12:32 AM ET

PHILADELPHIA (AP)

He beat Muhammad Ali in the Fight of the Century, battled him nearly to the death in the Thrilla in Manila. Then Joe Frazier spent the rest of his life trying to fight his way out of Ali's shadow.

That was one fight Frazier never could win.

http://msn.foxsports.com/boxing/sto...r-dies-after-battle-with-liver-cancer-110711/

I saw him in person at a college event. He looked like he was made of brick.

RIP Joe.

Joe Frazier against Ali was the first real boxing match I ever recall paying attention to. It also caused me to get into my first real "fight" at school.

An african american classmate accused me of being racist because I told her I was not rooting for Ali to win the upcoming fight but was in Joe's corner. I tried to explain that that was not racist because Joe was African American just as Ali was but the girl was insistent. By not rooting for Mohamed Ali, I was a racist. Pointing out that Joe was in fact a darker skinned man than Ali was did not convince her otherwise. I was forced to fight her in the school yard.

I know people will find this weird, but - Good memories. My first boxing match (that I followed the hype, the match the aftermath the whole thing) and my first fisticuffs, all thanks to these two men. :)

The first Ali-Frazier bout didn't introduce me to the politics of race in this country, but it certainly provided me with knowledge of how twisted it could be.

Friends and I listened to the fight broadcast in Spanish (due to the English language blockout, we listened on a Cuban station) and, even though one of us (hello) was taking a second year of high school Spanish, and the other three were, in fact, Hispanic, we were all far from fluent, so the only way any of us could keep up with the commentary was listening for the names - Frazier, Ali - and the roar of the crowd, and then approximate what must be going on.

Our hero, Ali, lost that fight.

So we decided to cruise Main Street, see whassup, drive around the Sonic lot, and then head back home. But others were doing the same post-fight thing. Word had spread that Ali had lost, and there were several cars of whites honking their horns and speeding around Sonic, their occupants shouting, "He beat the (n-word)! Frazier beat the (n-word)!"

It was so odd to see Joe Frazier, a proud, dark-skinned African-American man, reduced, in the minds of some, beyond his reckoning, to being subservient to the malign desires of certain American whites. But, in fighting and defeating the bold and outspoken, if lighter complected, Muhammad Ali, that appeared that night to have been Joe Frazier's destiny.

Rest in peace, champ. And thanks. Even in being misunderstood, your example taught a young white guy some lessons.

RIP Joe.

Joe Frazier against Ali was the first real boxing match I ever recall paying attention to. It also caused me to get into my first real "fight" at school.

An african american classmate accused me of being racist because I told her I was not rooting for Ali to win the upcoming fight but was in Joe's corner. I tried to explain that that was not racist because Joe was African American just as Ali was but the girl was insistent. By not rooting for Mohamed Ali, I was a racist. Pointing out that Joe was in fact a darker skinned man than Ali was did not convince her otherwise. I was forced to fight her in the school yard.

I know people will find this weird, but - Good memories. My first boxing match (that I followed the hype, the match the aftermath the whole thing) and my first fisticuffs, all thanks to these two men. :)

But did you win? lol

His and Ali's fight I remember being a preteen watching at the end of my seat.RIP.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back