Devil was in the detail for Giotto as art restorers discover hidden satanic smile...

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
Devil was in the detail for Giotto as art restorers discover hidden satanic smile in famous 13th century fresco

Art restorers have discovered the figure of a devil hidden in the clouds of one of the most famous frescos by Giotto in the Basilica of St Francis in Assisi.

The devil was hidden in the details of clouds at the top of fresco number 20 in the cycle of the scenes in the life and death of St Francis painted by Giotto in the 13th century.

The discovery was made by Italian art historian Chiara Frugone. It shows a profile of a figure with a hooked nose, a sly smile, and dark horns hidden among the clouds in the panel of the scene depicting the death of St Francis....

article-0-0EACFF3C00000578-714_634x642.jpg

The famous fresco by Giotto in the Basilica of St Francis in Assisi - the devil is hidden in the clouds in the panel of the scene depicting the death of St Francis

article-0-0EACE28000000578-296_634x412.jpg

The satanic face with crooked nose, sly smile and horns was spotted by art restorers working on one of the world's most famous frescos, by Giotto in the Basilica of St Francis in Assisi

article-0-0EAD335D00000578-995_634x356.jpg

The devil was painted by innovator Giotto in fresco number 20 in the cycle of the scenes in the life and death of St Francis

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...St-Francis-Assisi-Basilica.html#ixzz1dCA1Boez

I see the profile but where are the horns supposed to be?

I see the profile but where are the horns supposed to be?

At the top of the head there is a wisp of cloud and then to the left of that another wisp of cloud. I had a hard time finding them at first too.

I don't see horns either.

Wonder if this is the profile of the artist as was a popular thing to do for many centuries. Or if it is just supposed to be the devil, given that it is a cloud? I never really studied much about Giotto as he was not one of my favorites.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back