Sexual abuse: a torrent of tweets, and then a suicide

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Tweets before suicide point to teen's sexual abuse (Houston Chronicle)

Ashley Billasano kept the pain locked inside her for years, allowing only a handful of people closest to her to have a glimpse. On Monday, the 18-year-old Rosenberg high school student let it all out in a torrent of messages on Twitter - the sexual abuse that she said ruined what should have been some of the best years of her life, her inability to see justice done on her behalf. Then she killed herself.

Friends say the suffering and depressed Billasano decided to make her death count for something even as her life became unbearable. Her burst of 144 tweets, which took place over six hours and ended shortly before she took her life through suffocation, recounted the sexual abuse at the hands of a family member and other adults, and the frustration that arose when authorities failed to bring charges.

"This wasn't random," said Ashly Escamilla, her classmate and closest friend. "She planned this for a reason. She made a decision that this was what she was going to do to get attention if she was not going to get justice."
---
"That's the story of how I came to be who I am," she wrote. "Well, the condensed version. I'd love to hear what you have to say. But I won't be around."
---
the rest of this very sad story, and a picture, at link above

Daily Mail also has the story, plus a selection of Ashley's tweets:

High school student, 18, sent 144 tweets expressing her pain before killing herself
9:45AM Nov 7th: There is somebody in my dreams
9:46AM Nov 7th: I want them gone
9:47AM Nov 7th: Kinda lonely right now
9:47AM Nov 7th: There was so much more I wanted to do
9:48AM Nov 7th: Ahhh well time to move on
---
10:21AM Nov 7th: I went to the bathroom and locked the door
10:22AM Nov 7th: I took apart a razor I had just gotten from the store
10:22AM Nov 7th: I did what I had to do to forget.
---
2:08PM Nov 7th: Take two. Hope I get this right
much more, with several more pictures, at link above

Another quote from link in post #1 -
~"The detective told her that she had trouble believing her," her mother said. "Here is someone who has been abused and is forced to be silent for so long. Then the one person you go to looking for help says they might not believe you."~

:( that is so wrong for the official to have said that to her.

RIP Ashley

One can only imagine this child's physical pain and mental anguish to be driven to make such a tragic choice..

May her soul find the peace and release she sought...

Very sad there was noone to help her or to lead her to help get out of that situation...

As a former high school teacher, it causes me great upset that those who taught Ashley were not, evidently, considered by her to be people she could turn to. It might have only taken one. Sometimes we may not be aware of a problem sitting right in front of us, daily. And about that we must be aware.

OMG...I have so much compassion...I can get into her pain, IYKWIM, I am empathic...what a tragedy when someone doesn't get help out of a deplorable situation...it is too sad for words. :( I wish someone could have given her hope...a way out...help...something. :(

Rest In Peace, Ashley. You deserved so much and I wish that someone would have listened to you and stood up for you, before you made this choice.

:(

:rose:

:heart:

I'm so sorry Ashley. Poor little girl. I hope somewhere in her tweets she named her abusers. It's not likely they'll ever be prosecuted, but at least others will know who they are.

:(

Rest peacefully, Ashley.

No more darkness, no more secrets now. She's above that, surrounded by light and happiness. I have to believe that.

I am very disillusioned about this world we live in...I know there are many positive things...many good people...

But about Ashley...how does this happen and no one steps in to stop it before it's too late? :(

So so sad. RIP sweet girl

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back