UK - Boy, 3, swept to death while walking by sea wall

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
A word of caution for those with small children when anywhere near an ocean or sea: nature is unpredictable and violent - "Nature, red in tooth and claw," as the poet Tennyson wrote.

Boy, 3, swept to his death in freak accident as he splashed in promenade puddles (Daily Mail)
Eryk Cierszewski was walking along the Esplanade in Kirkcaldy, Fife, with his mother, Jadwiga, and six-year-old sister when waves crashed over the sea wall.

They are believed to have pulled him through a 4ft-wide gap which allows access to stairs that lead to the beach below.
---
One eyewitness said: 'The water was quite wild on Saturday - it can get like that from time to time down there and the water often comes over on to the street.

'The mum was playing with a couple of kids - all happy and merry - then this happened.

'It's a terrible, terrible tragedy - it's terrifying to think it could all happen so quickly.'
---
One Twitter user reacting to the news wrote: 'RIP the wee boy that died after the water stole him at Kirkcaldy today. The angels will take care of you.'
---
more, with pictures, at link above

Having a 4 year-old and a 2 year-old of my own, this story hurts my heart.

This sort of thing seems to happen all too often (i.e., every once in awhile, which is still too often) on the Pacific Coast.

When I was 12, I was sitting on a beach in Panama, holding my cousin, who was a toddler at the time. Where we were sitting, the sand was dry.

All of a sudden, a rogue wave came along and knocked us over. In an instant, my cousin simply vanished. Fortunately, her mother was standing behind us and had a better vantage point; she raced past me and fished her daughter out of the surf.

(BTW, I was over 6' tall at 12, so it's not like I was some frail little thing. But by the time I could have recovered my bearings and stood up to look for her, my little cousin could have been swept out to sea.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taketherisk
Back