NY - Bernie Fine Accused of Molestation, Syracuse, 2011

ynotdivein

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
From the above link:

"Outside the Lines investigated Davis's story in 2003 but decided not to run the story because there were no other victims who would talk, and no independent evidence to corroborate the boy's story. In recent days, a second man contacted Outside the Lines with information alleging that Fine had also molested him. That man said he was inspired to finally talk after seeing news coverage of the Sandusky case."

I use to work at SU and my sister still does..she knows these people-I will have to call her and see what she has heard..They are HUGE SU fans..me not so much!

I am not surprise this happened,I know this happens everywhere,I am happy people are starting to have the courage to come forward..

From the above link:

"Outside the Lines investigated Davis's story in 2003 but decided not to run the story because there were no other victims who would talk, and no independent evidence to corroborate the boy's story. In recent days, a second man contacted Outside the Lines with information alleging that Fine had also molested him. That man said he was inspired to finally talk after seeing news coverage of the Sandusky case."

:sigh:

I hope every institution that's covered stuff up like this gets found out. It hits home because I'm a Syracuse fan. If Boeheim knew then he needs to be fired yesterday. However, the investigation has just begun.

If there is any sliver of hope to come out of the Penn State debacle, I hope that it takes the form of those and other survivors of abuse gaining the courage to come forward and hopefully get the supportive help that they so very much deserve... and those who have been complicit in covering up allegations realizing that it's only a matter of time until their acts are revealed.

All of this makes me sick at heart.

ESPN reported the accusations were made by two former ball boys.
Syracuse Chancellor Nancy Cantor said in a statement Friday morning that the school will not turn a blind eye to the allegations.
"We hold everyone in our community to high standards and we don't tolerate illegal, abusive or unethical behavior - no matter who you are,'' Cantor said in an email Friday morning to students, faculty and staff.
Bobby Davis, now 39, told ESPN that Fine allegedly molested him beginning in 1984 and that the sexual contact continued until he was around 27. A ball boy for six years, Davis told ESPN the alleged abuse occurred at Fine's home, at Syracuse basketball facilities and on team road trips, including the 1987 Final Four.
Davis' stepbrother, Mike Lang, 45, who also was a ball boy, told ESPN that Fine molested him starting while he was in fifth or sixth grade.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...th.ld.writethru.1180/index.html#ixzz1e4aA82ed

-----------------

snip from same link:

Former Syracuse center Rony Seikaly, who worked closely with Fine throughout his college career and exchanged text messages with him just Wednesday, told the AP he refuses to believe the allegations.
"Bernie would never do such a thing,'' Seikaly said in a telephone interview in Miami. "I vouch for Bernie. There is no way something like this could ever happen in my eyes. No way.''
Seikaly said he questions why the ball boy would come forward again now, adding that he believes the headlines generated by the scandal at Penn State may have been a motivating factor.
"Completely ridiculous,'' Seikaly said. "Do people want a quick buck or something? I spent four years with Bernie, every single day. I know what kind of guy he is. He's just a very helpful guy. He was the glue to Syracuse basketball. He's still the glue 20 years later when you're already gone. He keeps in touch with every single player. He's that kind of guy.''
---

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...th.ld.writethru.1180/index.html#ixzz1e4aR8RLK

Jason Whitlock, FoxSports, never afraid to speak the truth to power, this time about what he considers irresponsible ESPN reporting:

A Fine mess ESPN has created
---
This column is not meant to exonerate Bernie Fine, whom Syracuse put on administrative leave pending an ESPN-driven police investigation into whether he sexually molested step brothers and former SU ball boys Bobby Davis and Mike Lang in the 1970s, '80s and ‘90s. I do not know Bernie Fine. I do not have any insight into what did or did not transpire between Fine and his two accusers.

What I do know, based on Schwarz’s juvenile “reporting,” is the Worldwide Leader didn’t have nearly enough evidence to air such a reputation-damaging story. Schwarz acquired just enough information — two vague, mumbling on-camera interviews from Fine’s accusers — to protect ESPN from a lawsuit. Schwarz did the legal minimum.

Was his story sound journalism? Was his story remotely fair? No, and hell no.
---
the rest at link above

Wow. This story, which I think a lot of people were justifiably skeptical about, just acquired a lot more credibility.

In a tape-recorded 2002 telephone conversation, the wife of Syracuse associate head coach Bernie Fine admitted she had concerns that her husband had sexually molested a team ball boy in their home, but said she felt powerless to stop the alleged abuse.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/7286347/otl-audio-tape-bernie-fine-wife-admits-worries-abuse

Much, much more at link.

Wow. This story, which I think a lot of people were justifiably skeptical about, just acquired a lot more credibility.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/7286347/otl-audio-tape-bernie-fine-wife-admits-worries-abuse

Much, much more at link.

Yeah, this story is going to get ugly. I know this isn't right, but as a mother myself, I hold other mothers much more accountable in these situations. She knows (and admits on the tape) her husband has sexual issues with boys, and she witnessed it?, yet she does NOTHING to help the child/boy. Maybe it's just as well this story is coming out after PSU because nothing will shock me anymore. But, what kind of mother/woman/HUMAN does nothing? I know I am not alone in my convictions. It scares me to think people are walking around SEEING children being molested and doing NOTHING.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back