Identified! NY - Harlem, BlkMale 1609UMNY, 20-30, USMC Tattoo, Jun'97 Leroy Bernard Matthews

Wanting2Help

Reaction score
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1609umny.html

Vital Statistics:
Estimated age: 20-30 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'7"; 130 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Shaved head; brown eyes.
Tattoos: Elaborate "USMC" tattoo in blue on left upper arm.
Clothing: Navy t-shirt, size XL, gray cutoff sweatpants, black Levi jeans, size 34/30, tan or brown cloth belt, brown plaid jacket, size XL. White Fila sneakers, size 8.5.
Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Available

Case History:
The victim was located electrocuted on the third rail on the southbound D train tracks at the 145th Street and St. Nicholas Avenue Station.

Strange that there is no DNA sample.

Found this guy who was a marine.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/scott_robert.html

His age is a few years out of the range, but I have seen so many of the ranges be wrong that I thought I would mention him.

Have you been able to find him in any other site? I wish they all had the same people listed. I would like to see any other photos. He looks really young in this one.

Does the military fingerprint everyone that enlists? I think they do, but what is the process for matching up fingerprints? Is it a database like DNA? or do they have to compare each and every one?

Strange that there is no DNA sample.

I thought it was odd too. I am confused about the whole DNA process anyways. I have seen some that are listed as 'DNA available but not yet submitted' and they have been in the system for years. Any idea why they would do that?

I was looking at the tattoo and noticed that the top says "Force" and at the bottom it says "Recon." Force Recon is a special forces unit of the Marines. Someone has got to reconize this person. He was in the Special Forces! Is there any way to submit him to the military to see if they have any soldiers that are missing...possibly AWOL?
United States Marine Corps Force Reconnaissance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I was looking at the tattoo and noticed that the top says "Force" and at the bottom it says "Recon." Force Recon is a special forces unit of the Marines. See United States Marine Corps Force Reconnaissance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for more info. Someone has got to reconize this person. He was in the Special Forces! Is there any way to submit him to the military to see if they have any soldiers that are missing...possibly AWOL?

I was thinking the same thing! I'm not sure who to contact. I will see if I can get any info from a friend of mine who is USMC also.

I wish there was a list of soldiers that went AWOL during that time, but there isn't. There is a message board for all Marines that I thought about posting on. Do you think that might be a good place to get info? It seems that the Force Recon groups would be pretty small. Not to mention, we know that he wasn't very old, so we can probably pinpoint his service to between 1987-1997. I would guess that he was in his mid 20s though, so his service date was probably somewhere around 1992-93 during the first Gulf War.

I wish there was a list of soldiers that went AWOL during that time, but there isn't. There is a message board for all Marines that I thought about posting on. Do you think that might be a good place to get info? It seems that the Force Recon groups would be pretty small. Not to mention, we know that he wasn't very old, so we can probably pinpoint his service to between 1987-1997. I would guess that he was in his mid 20s though, so his service date was probably somewhere around 1992-93 during the first Gulf War.

It would be worth a try. I'm trying to get in touch with an MP I know, maybe he can help...

I really have a strong feeling that this guy was never reported missing because they think he is AWOL. It just suprises me that no family is looking for him. He would be easily identifiable...his picture is there. I sent an email to the mods at the Marine veterans website. I will let you know if I hear anything back. Does anyone know why he wouldn't have been fingerprinted by the ME?

I sent an email last night to the Medical Examiner in NYC listed on his NamUs profile. Hopefully they have some more info that they can share with us.

I saw a few websites last night that had to deal directly with 1st Force Recon but I wasn't really sure what to say on a message board? I'm still new at this! I also found someone who was listed on the site as having served in 1st Force in 1993. It listed an email address but again, I wasnt sure what to say or if it would be worth contacting him.

Any idea how long their term would be for 1st Force? 1 year? And then transfer to anther duty station? On that site linked below it listed a person as having served in 86/93. So I wasn't sure if that meant from 1986 to 1993 or if it was separate times. Not sure how that works? Anybody have any idea?

http://www.1streconbnassociation.org/1stForce.htm

I really have a strong feeling that this guy was never reported missing because they think he is AWOL. It just suprises me that no family is looking for him. He would be easily identifiable...his picture is there. I sent an email to the mods at the Marine veterans website. I will let you know if I hear anything back. Does anyone know why he wouldn't have been fingerprinted by the ME?

Both of the profiles say he has fingerprints on file. I'm not sure why there wouldn't be any dna though...

The doenetwork profile for this UID shows a picture of his tattoo, but not his face. The NamUs profile shows a good picture of his face. While I see the resemblence in Robert King Scott somewhat, the circumstances of his disappearance seem to happen after the UID was found (UID found in June '97, Scott was going to visit his home for Christmas but never made it)

I just received an email back from the Medical Examiner. They do not have any updates on the case and he has no idea what detective might be handling the case, so I am assuming they are not investigating. He did say they would appreciate any leads we might be able to find. I asked if dna was sumbitted and he did not answer.

@Wanting2Help Did you manage to find a contact for the USMC that the UID probably belonged too (Force Recon)? Would probably be a good jumping off point.

ETA: Had wrong division of the Marines in question.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CSIFLGIRL46
Back