Caughlin Fire in Southwest Reno

Jacie Estes

Medical Marijuana Advocate
Reaction score
Got a text from my best friend earlier today about this; so far their house is safe but a lot of loss in this fire. The view in the top pic is the view we saw from our townhouse up in the hills, loved sitting on our bedroom deck looking out at night. Hope this is contained soon.

A fire that broke out on Friday, Nov. 18 around 12:30 a.m. in Southwest Reno has burned at least 400 acres and is zero percent contained so far. The Reno Fire Chief has confirmed about 20 homes have been destroyed. Fire crews are working to save 6-8 homes right now. One death has been confirmed, a man has died of a cardiac arrest.

Reno Police is asking everyone not to call 911 unless it is an emergency. The city of Reno, Washoe County, and Governor Brian Sandoval has called for a state of emergency.

http://www.mynews4.com/news/local/story/Caughlin-Fire-in-Southwest-Reno/xWUu21BPN0yeLSFtCAYBUQ.cspx

My parents live in the very southwest corner of suburban Reno, about 3 miles from the fire right now. Very scary stuff. They told me that for now the wind ius blowing the opposite direction of their neighborhood. But they said the smoke is horrendous, which is not good for them because they both have heart problems and sometimes need oxygen as it is. I hope this is under control soon. My prayers for everyone in that beautiful area.

My parents live in the very southwest corner of suburban Reno, about 3 miles from the fire right now. Very scary stuff. They told me that for now the wind ius blowing the opposite direction of their neighborhood. But they said the smoke is horrendous, which is not good for them because they both have heart problems and sometimes need oxygen as it is. I hope this is under control soon. My prayers for everyone in that beautiful area.
Katy my prayers are with you and your parents and all who are affected here, I have good friends in Ferney and they are being affected by the smoke out there so I can't imagine what its like being so close.

Katy my prayers are with you and your parents and all who are affected here, I have good friends in Ferney and they are being affected by the smoke out there so I can't imagine what its like being so close.

Thank you for the good wishes and prayers. I am feeling better because my brother drove out there this afternoon from the Bay Area and is staying there right now. But he is trying to talk them into going back to his house because of the smoky air. They are stubborn but it just might work. My mom has important papers and pictures all boxed up and ready to go so that is a good sign too. :rose:

I have read about fires before and thought about how scary it is to even live in an area bordering the fire scene. But funnily enough I hadn't thought about the loss of services that could happen. I mean the loss of power makes sense. But losing mail delivery too? I really hadn't thought about that. Not something major, but just one more thing I hadn't thought of.

Those pics taken at night are esp. scary. I cannot imagine trying to go to sleep knowing that a fire is that close. Yes if it got too close, someone would be knocking on doors and starting an evacuation. But I just don't think I could sleep waiting for that knock!

How scary, I heard the winds were pretty strong making the situation worst. Hope everyone stays safe and don't forget the animals.

How scary, I heard the winds were pretty strong making the situation worst. Hope everyone stays safe and don't forget the animals.

Winds are the bad part, Reno is in a bowl and winds can carry flames anywhere in that area.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back