SUSPECT: Mark Roland Stallings

JeannieC

Reaction score
Man's confession could solve `killing field' case

LEAGUE CITY - A Texas prison inmate has confessed to killing as many as six women in Fort Bend and Galveston counties, including some at the infamous site here known as the "killing field," authorities said Friday.
Mark Roland Stallings, 34, has not yet been charged with any of the murders, however.

League City police Capt. Chris Reed said DNA tests will confirm whether Stallings was involved in any of the slayings of four women whose bodies were dumped in a field off Calder Road just west of Interstate 45 from 1983 to 1991.

"He confessed to multiple homicides. We don't know which ones at this time," Reed said. "We have an idea but we're not real sure because we haven't corroborated what he said."

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl/2001_3345841/man-s-confession-could-solve-killing-field-case.html

It was Tuesday afternoon September 13, 1996 when
John Burkhart Rogers Bingham and his six-year-old
granddaughter, Zamfira, returned to Bingham’s ranch
house near Rosharon after a fishing trip to a nearby
lake. As he pulled up to the house he noticed the window
to one of the bedrooms damaged.
Checking his own room and finding nothing missing,
he turned on the television and sat down to relax.
At that point, Bingham said "my head exploded."
Suddenly blood poured from his nose and mouth,
and Bingham, 64, thought he had suffered a heart
attack causing a blood vessel in his head to burst.
“He had no idea he had been shot,” said Richard
Rosser, an investigator for the Brazoria County Sheriff’s Office.
Bingham told his granddaughter to call 911, but there was a problem with
911 so he told her to dial the operator, Rosser said.

http://thepolicenews.net/html/tpnjan09.pdf

Mark Stallings - Confessed in 2001 to the "Killing Fields" murders outside of League City but he would have been only 15 or 16 years old when the first Killing Fields victims came up missing. Since all of the Killing Fields victims were killed by the same unknown killer, his confession may have only been a way to improve his prison rep with other inmates. Although he has a history of violence and worked for another suspect Robert Abel. The Star Dust Trail Rides business once owned by Abel encircles the Killings Fields. Stallings was never charged in any of the I-45 Killings nor the Killings Fields murders despite any of his confessions.

http://psu-sk.tripod.com/frames/i45-suspects.html

Man's confession could solve `killing field' case
RUTH RENDON Staff
SAT 11/03/2001 Houston Chronicle, Section A, Page 1, 3 STAR Edition

Reed said Stallings gave police information that "was very believable." He said the inmate told officers that he once lived in a mobile home on the land near where the bodies were found and that he once worked for Robert Abel, who formerly operated Star Dust Trail Rides on the property.

Abel, 62, said Friday that he recalls Stallings working for his ranch operation but not the trail ride. He said he fired Stallings "because he was too dumb to even string fences."

The sheriff said that, although physical evidence is lacking, charges against Stallings are likely for the April 1986 slaying of Benna "Bea" Bowen, 27, and the June 1989 death of 18-year-old April Eaves.

"He also led them to the scene, which is not an easy scene to find since it was out in a pasture. The area had changed considerably since the time the murders occurred and when he was back here, he was still able to take them back there."

Eaves' body was found in an abandoned mobile home near FM 1464 and Old Richmond Road. Bowen's body was found in an undeveloped area of the county known as Park Westheimer.

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl/2001_3345841/man-s-confession-could-solve-killing-field-case.html

Mark Stallings - Confessed in 2001 to the "Killing Fields" murders outside of League City but he would have been only 15 or 16 years old when the first Killing Fields victims came up missing. Since all of the Killing Fields victims were killed by the same unknown killer, his confession may have only been a way to improve his prison rep with other inmates. Although he has a history of violence and worked for another suspect Robert Abel. The Star Dust Trail Rides business once owned by Abel encircles the Killings Fields. Stallings was never charged in any of the I-45 Killings nor the Killings Fields murders despite any of his confessions.

http://psu-sk.tripod.com/frames/i45-suspects.html

Due to Stallings' escape attempt from prison when his girlfriend snuck a gun into jail for him, he has been kept in solitary for 11+ years or so by now. I don't think he has much to gain (as far as a reputation with other inmates) since TDJC won't allow him into General Population with other inmates, and he isn't even allowed to have a cell mate.

Just a few thoughts on the matter.

I've heard recently from inside sources that the LE doesn't feel like it is necessary to charge him with the two murders he confessed to, since "it is a waste of taxpayer money," since he's already got a 486 year sentence. Personally, I don't feel like that excuse stands up - but that LE didn't want to pursue it more because it would implicate some VIP Texans who strived to shut down and suppress a lot of information and investigations.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idrainuk
Back