Black Friday/Cyber Monday-How's it going in your neck of the woods?

Stores opening at midnight has ruined Black Friday.
I assume since the sales began at midnight instead of the usual 4:00 AM, more people were up and awake, ready to shop. It was horrible. We got to Best Buy around 9:00 PM and stood in line to get tickets for our items at ten. They didn't even start passing out tickets until 11:00 PM and by the time the items got to us, they were already out. We just got out of line and left. We went to check out Target, but they had lines wrapped around the building too and were only letting people into the store a group at a time.
We discussed going other places and talked to others that had already been there and finally just decided to go home empty handed.

There were some scary, scary people at my local WalMart last night (waiting for the sales at 10 pm and midnight). Scary, as in, trying to incite a brawl, gang-banger talk, and I was waiting for guns to come out (and I live in the middle of nowhere, in an Amish community...I don't know where these folks came from!). I just left, and decided "no Black Friday" sales for me).

However, I got up at 5 am today, and drove 20 miles to another, bigger, town, and everyone was very pleasant (although most of the really good deals were already gone), except for a pair of "ladies" in Target.

I got 75 % of my shopping done...Kohl's had the best deals for me, which I didn't expect. Target was really a disappointment...everything I wanted, gone by 5:40 am.

Stores opening at midnight has ruined Black Friday.
I assume since the sales began at midnight instead of the usual 4:00 AM, more people were up and awake, ready to shop. It was horrible. We got to Best Buy around 9:00 PM and stood in line to get tickets for our items at ten. They didn't even start passing out tickets until 11:00 PM and by the time the items got to us, they were already out. We just got out of line and left. We went to check out Target, but they had lines wrapped around the building too and were only letting people into the store a group at a time.
We discussed going other places and talked to others that had already been there and finally just decided to go home empty handed.

Oh no, that's terrible. I guess the retailers are trying to crack down on the craziness that can occur. Seems to me you have to camp out for days now.

I remember the washer dryer deal last year at Sears. I even thought about showing up for that one since the pair was 50 percent off. Glad I didn't. Turns out each store only had one pair at that price.

There were some scary, scary people at my local WalMart last night (waiting for the sales at 10 pm and midnight). Scary, as in, trying to incite a brawl, gang-banger talk, and I was waiting for guns to come out (and I live in the middle of nowhere, in an Amish community...I don't know where these folks came from!). I just left, and decided "no Black Friday" sales for me).

However, I got up at 5 am today, and drove 20 miles to another, bigger, town, and everyone was very pleasant (although most of the really good deals were already gone), except for a pair of "ladies" in Target.

I got 75 % of my shopping done...Kohl's had the best deals for me, which I didn't expect. Target was really a disappointment...everything I wanted, gone by 5:40 am.

BBM. I would have left too!

ETA: Oh yeah, you were wise to leave. Look what happened to these people. And many more stories at the link.

(snip)
Would-be robbers struck a man on the head and shot a woman in the leg before another shopper displayed a gun and the assailants fled, the station said, citing Myrtle Beach Police Captain Kevin Heins. The woman was taken to a hospital for treatment, he said.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/25/business/money-black-friday-incidents/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

IMO, Wally world is where the violence seems most prevalent in my neck of the woods.

http://www.wect.com/story/16119913/black-friday-starts-thursday-night

~snipped~

In Cumberland County, sheriff's detectives are looking for two suspects after gunfire rang out at Cross Creek Mall in Fayetteville early Friday morning.

WMBF News in Myrtle Beach is reporting one woman was shot in the leg during an attempted armed robbery near the Walmart on Seaboard Street. Two suspects are still on the loose.

My dear step daughter hit the stores overnight in B'ham AL. She posted on FB that Old Navy had a great system set up all over the store to minimize the long lines. She also gave kudos to Target for great organization in moving the lines along. Re: Wally world....She posted that she will never shop there again. Her words..." W**-M*** sux! I. Will. Never. Ever. Shop. At W**-M***. AGAIN!!!!

IDK what happened to that she was so upset but I haven't shopped at WM since I placed an online order a few years back and items were missing from my shipment. When I complained, W**-Mart said the items were shipped and refused to help me. Whatever happened to the concept of 'The customer is always right'?

wm

I've been out shopping since ~ 8:00am here, and it's been dead. Plenty of parking, in and out of stores with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Walmart here wasn't that bad. Crowded, yes, but no one got hurt, I got almost half ot the things I wanted from WalMart, the rest was sold out by the time I made it to that part of the store. Target had a line to get in that stretched around the entire strip mall they are located in. ToysRus started letting people in at 9. At 12:30 this morning, the line still wrapped around their building. People waiting to get into Kohl's at midnight caused an accident by extending the line out into the middle of the road.

There were a lot of traffic accidents and angry words, but a lot of people that were very willing to help and make sure that everyone got as mush of what they wanted as possible. I'm going back out today, so wish me luck.

Scary stuff!

My son works 12pm-12am today at the mall in Myrtle beach where that shooting took place last night. Glad he wasn't working last night!!

I will never shop on Black Friday. I think people are nuts for getting out in that craziness!! I didn't look at the sale papers, but I can't think of one thing I want that would require waiting in line for or risk being pepper sprayed, etc. I'll get what I want next week..... and pay the full "crazy free" convenience price for it. lol

IMHO, Black Friday has ruined Thanksgiving and all it means. Only in America do people celebrate one day for all the things they are thankful for, and spend the next day shooting people and fighting over items they can't live without. It's a sad state of affairs.

I don't usually do it as I am not a morning person and I do not like shopping or crowds. When I saw that Old Navy was opening at midnight I decided at the last minute to go since I am a night owl anyway. I read the flyer at 10:40 and I was there at 11. I took my 16 year old son with me for protection at the insistence of my husband lol. It ended up not being necessary, everyone was very reasonable and there was no pushing or shoving. We were 22nd and 23rd in line and we each got a free Kodak Easyshare Sport waterproof camera! The group of 4 in front of us were asked if they were together and they only got 1 wrist band for the camera. They never asked my son and I if we were together so we each got 1. I got some great deals on pajamas, sweatshirts, hats and gloves etc.

Next we went to Best Buy but ended up leaving after waiting in line for 20 mins and the line didn't move an inch. There were about 200+ people in front of us too! The line wrapped around the outer perimeter of the inside of the store 3 times! I guessed that we would have been in line for 2 or more hours so it wasn't worth it.

We went to CVS next and got some toys for the little kids all buy 1 get 1 free.

When we drove by the local Walmart at 12:30am, which didn't open until 4am, there were about 80 people in line already

We didn't see anyone anywhere pushing and shoving. Everyone was in a good mood and laughing and smiling. The difference might be that they haven't gotten up out of bed really early. I know I would be a terrible grump if I had done that.

my housemate just asked if i wanted to go to Walmart. we saw an ad and they had one of those little choppers i wanted. it was for 2.94 not bad price at all. i told him hell-o no its not worth it to me to go get that even at that price. i don't deal with crowds well, been hearing sirens off and on all day and i will NOT go near stores today. lol he was like whew...good!

Funny how the opposition to the OWS movement is using supposed violence during the rallies as propoganda for conservative capitalism, but the Black Friday violence and "gimmie, gimmie, gimmie" fervor merit barely a glance. So much for reflection of how fortunate we are to live in this country and everything we as Americans have to be thankful for. :waitasec:

Our Walmart is open 24 hours. I stopped in at 8 pm to do some grocery shopping. Place was already packed 4 hours before sales started at midnight. Walmart had an additional 50-60 employees stading guard wearing bright orange vests through out the store. Certain ailes were blocked off so you could only go in certain directions, even in the grocery section. There were people already in line 920-30 people lines) in certain sections of the store (toy, electronics) that looked like they had been there for hours already.

Our Walmart is open 24 hours. I stopped in at 8 pm to do some grocery shopping. Place was already packed 4 hours before sales started at midnight. Walmart had an additional 50-60 employees stading guard wearing bright orange vests through out the store. Certain ailes were blocked off so you could only go in certain directions, even in the grocery section. There were people already in line 920-30 people lines) in certain sections of the store (toy, electronics) that looked like they had been there for hours already.
Okay, if it's open 24 hours, then why wait until midnight to start the sales???:waitasec: Is the only advantage that people can wait inside the store instead of outside? I think the idea of Black Friday is insane, but I was actually up 'till 1:00, then up 'till 3:30 with insomnia...

Avoided summary execution at the hands of gun-wielding Game Boy thugees in the parking lot as doctor's office was closed today and didn't call in my WalMart Pharmacy refill after all. "Whew."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melissawilkinson44
Back