Identified! OR - Yamhill Co, Willamette River, WhtMale 30-70, UP5205, "Marino Bay Natural" fleece vest, Feb'06 - NamUs removed

Kimster

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ufo2001.com
Body was found in the Willamette River in February, 2006. The body was clothed only in green/ brown "Marino Bay Natural" a fleece vest.

HAIR: Salt and pepper dark brown and gray, up to 2.5 inches in length

DNA on file - No photos available

Rule outs

Stephan Adams 1978 Oklahoma
Michael Allan 1954 Florida
James Bradford 1942 Arizona
Emerson Carbaugh 1921 Pennsylvania
Russell Gonzales 1964 Oregon
Albert Mitchell 1939 Kentucky
Amos Mortier 1977 Wisconsin
Kevin Nordquist 1967 Oregon
Kinsey Otto 1976 Nevada
Bradley Ross 1956 Kentucky

Roy Anderson

https://identifyus.org/cases/5205

Roy Anderson: https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/12054/23/

Height is spot on, weight is close. Anderson has salt & pepper hair like the UID. I'm not sure of the county geography of Oregon, however. Roy was missing from Multomah county - UID found in Yamhill county.

There is DNA available for both UID and Roy. Roy is not listed as a rule out.

It does appear that the Willamette goes from Yamhill to Multnomah County. The only problem is that this river runs north and not south. :waitasec: But that's not to say that he was taking a trip to Yamhill that fateful day.

I'm surprised he's not a rule out. Are you going to contact them, Sleuth?

Willametterivermap.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d2/Willametterivermap.jpg

I've never contacted LE before. I think this is a possible match though.

As the name implies, i'm new to this :D. I am willing to write an email to the case managers. What should I say and how do I say it?

Since you're new, I'll give you more information than you ever wanted to know. :lol:

First, it is against Websleuths policy to call on cases and say you are a member at Websleuths. That being said, in the UID forum, things are a tad different.

You can email the case manager and say you found the two cases on the internet. IF they ask where, you are more than welcome to say Websleuths, but I would add through NamUS because they need to know what is working for them as far as getting information out to the public. :hug:

Here's the case manager, according to NamUS. I would use email. I did call on one once, but that was only because it was local and I'm familiar with my local LE.

First Name Mike
Last Name Weinstein
Email mike.weinstein@portlandoregon.gov

ETA: I contact the missing case manager over the UID case manager, BTW.

Ok here's what I would email to the case manager. Does this look acceptable/professional?

Detective Weinstein,

I am emailing you in regards to Roy Anderson, a missing person with whom you are the case manager.

I have found his case on the internet, and I have also found an Unidentified case that seems to match Roy's description. The UID ME/C case number is 06-0004.

The UID was found in Oregon about 150 miles Northeast in Yamhill County. The UID has salt & pepper hair, with a height of 5' 10" and estimated weight of 180 pounds. Roy's height is also listed at 5' 10". There is DNA available from this UID. Roy is not listed as a rule out for this UID.

I believe this UID may be a possible match to Roy. I think this is worth looking into.

Sincerely

[I would insert my real name here]

----

What do you think?

Roy Anderson: https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/12054/23/

Height is spot on, weight is close. Anderson has salt & pepper hair like the UID. I'm not sure of the county geography of Oregon, however. Roy was missing from Multomah county - UID found in Yamhill county.

There is DNA available for both UID and Roy. Roy is not listed as a rule out.

I don't think this is a match. they have both nuclear and mitochondrial DNA for the UID and an unspecified DNA sample from Anderson. whether they have one or the other or both for Anderson, if it is a match it probably would have been picked up UNLESS Anderson's is not in any national database.

I don't think this is a match. they have both nuclear and mitochondrial DNA for the UID and an unspecified DNA sample from Anderson. whether they have one or the other or both for Anderson, if it is a match it probably would have been picked up UNLESS Anderson's is not in any national database.

I think it's worth looking into because there is at least 10 rule outs for the UID already, but Roy isn't one of them. Both have DNA available so it is worth a shot.

Ok here's what I would email to the case manager. Does this look acceptable/professional?

Detective Weinstein,

I am emailing you in regards to Roy Anderson, a missing person with whom you are the case manager.

I have found his case on the internet, and I have also found an Unidentified case that seems to match Roy's description. The UID ME/C case number is 06-0004.

The UID was found in Oregon about 150 miles Northeast in Yamhill County. The UID has salt & pepper hair, with a height of 5' 10" and estimated weight of 180 pounds. Roy's height is also listed at 5' 10". There is DNA available from this UID. Roy is not listed as a rule out for this UID.

I believe this UID may be a possible match to Roy. I think this is worth looking into.

Sincerely

[I would insert my real name here]

----

What do you think?

Very nice! I might have to plagiarize you when I do my next submit. :giggle:

I'm learning how this works too, so here's my question. If both are listed on NamUS, does that mean both of their DNA is automatically matched one against the other? Since NamUS is national?

Ok thanks for the help! I just sent the email to him. I will let you know when/if I hear anything.

I'm learning how this works too, so here's my question. If both are listed on NamUS, does that mean both of their DNA is automatically matched one against the other? Since NamUS is national?

if they are both in CODIS then they are automatically cross checked. they usually don't list those as rule outs.

a person's DNA might not be in CODIS and might be stored in some local DNA registry so there is no way to know unless someone asks. I tend to assume if DNA is on file it is with CODIS but that is not always the case.

I can't explain CODIS very well but you can google it. CODIS is a very large DNA database which is used for criminal investigations, identifying remains, etc.

Thanks Webrocket! I think there's an explanation about CODIS up in the UID information subforum that I created a couple of days ago. If not, I'll be sure to Google it. :hug:

I'm still wading through a lot of the old threads trying to familiarize myself with the UIDs and updating when I can. There is a LOT to know here. Your help is dearly appreciated!

No. If they are both listed in CODIS, their DNA is automatically matched one against the other.

CODIS is the FBI's DNA matching system, primarily for matching biological evidence from crime scenes to the perpetrators of the crimes, but also for matching MP's (and their family members) to UID's

Just to make sure i'm reading this right - if both are in CODIS then they are automatically checked - they wouldn't be rule out listed because it would make the rule out list for most people incredibly long and cumbersome.

But if a MP and a UID both have DNA listed in NamUs, it does not necessarily mean they both are in CODIS right?

Just to make sure i'm reading this right - if both are in CODIS then they are automatically checked - they wouldn't be rule out listed because it would make the rule out list for most people incredibly long and cumbersome.

But if a MP and a UID both have DNA listed in NamUs, it does not necessarily mean they both are in CODIS right?

Usually, but not always.

The detective on the MP case replied to me last night and wanted to know if there were additional reasons I felt it was a match. I let him know the time frame matched up as well (something that initially had tipped me off on the potential match). The UID was discovered February 18, 2006 with an estimated postmortem interval of 2 weeks. Roy was LKA on January 31, 2006. He mentioned the DNA was entered for Roy already so if there is a match it wouldn't take long to find that out.

I will keep you posted!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie