GUILTY Canada - Vicky Shachtay, 23, paraplegic, killed by bomb, Innisfail, AB, 25 Nov 2011

When was the accident that caused Vicky's paraplegia (a couple of years ago?); who was at fault; and was there a lawsuit or settlement in the works?

Takes a special kind of animal to have done this to a disabled person :furious:

My first thought was they must've gotten the wrong house! How can anyone do this?

Who delivered the package? Any eye witnesses see a suspicious car?

what the ??????!!!!!!!!

who delivered the package? this kind of crime takes a special kind of hate - seems personal & revengeful

this is unreal, reminds me of the father with his sons in his car & someone planted a carbomb (in the States somewhere)

... reminds me of the father with his sons in his car & someone planted a carbomb (in the States somewhere)
<rsbm>

If you can find a link or think of a name, it would be interesting to see if we can glean any insight into a mind that would carry out this type of crime.

From the Town of Innisfail website:

The name &#8216;Innisfail&#8217; goes back to celtic origin. It means &#8220;Isle of Destiny&#8221;
:(

Thankfully little Destiny was not at home to see this happen to her mother. I hope she has a million arms to hug her and see her through this tragedy.

Just some random thoughts ...

I'm not quite sure how one escapes an explosion, but am wondering if possibly the intended target was the caretaker? Do we know how long this person had been caring for Vicky, and did they only work with her on certain days?

So sad :(
Why would anyone want to kill this woman? From what I understand, she was a caring person and had no enemies.
I'm wondering if this was just a random act and she just happened to be the unfortunate victim :(

Police would not confirm rumours circulating on the Facebook pages of family members that Shachtay was the target of the bomb.

&#8220;We have some knowledge of the packaging, the delivery. We have a witness, the caregiver was there.&#8221; said Webb. &#8220;But we&#8217;re not going to put out certain details unless it serves the investigation.&#8221;

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/alberta/Blast+experts+comb+Innisfail+scene+while+police+await+autopsy+results/5779777/story.html

I hope that Destiny has others to give her loving care. Is Destiny's father or his family involved in her life?

Who was paying for Vicky's care?

600_townhouse_blast_111125.jpg

http://winnipeg.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20111126/albert-woman-explosion-111126/20111126/?hub=WinnipegHome

600_townhouse_blast3_111125.jpg

Rest in Peace, Vicky. You faced so many challenges in your short life.
:rose:

Who was paying for Vicky's care?
<rsbm>

That's why I was asking about the accident Snoopster. Won't go into too much detail but I know from experience that if a person dies as a result of an accident, lawsuits are a paltry sum (because "judges know that they can never place a dollar value on the loss of life of a loved one") ... paraphrased here "if however, the person does not die and requires care for their lifetime, then the lawsuits are huge." (quoting legal advice from one of Canada's top medmal lawyers).

IF there was a suit as a result of an accident "a couple of years ago", highly unlikely it would be settled or have gone to court yet, so targetting Vicky could be a way out if the defendant(s) are nervous about the outcome. Always wise to follow the $$ in any investigation.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...ruggling-after-blast-kills-alberta-woman?bn=1

snipped...

Webb said investigators believe Shachtay found the package early Friday, picked it up and brought it inside, where it sat while she went out. When she returned home about an hour later, she tried to open the package and it detonated.

...In 2004, while pregnant with her daughter Destiny, Shachtay was in a car accident and became a paraplegic. Her own mother died recently after a battle with cancer.

I wonder if this was just a plain package with no personal information on it, or was it specifically addressed to Vicky? If the caregiver was there while Vicki had gone out, maybe they are able to provide input as to what the packaging looked like and whether it contained any information to aid investigators.

Maybe an aid to sleuthing, Vicky was on FB.

It really seems like the package was delivered to the wrong address. Car accident costs would be covered by insurance (depending on the nature of the accident - could have been single vehicle) and health care benefits, so I doubt that was a reason for blowing up a single mom that was a paraplegic.

I should add that those are national free health care benefits - so there's no question that her health care needs were covered and there was no reason to blow her up to avoid payment. A ligitimate second driver would have a million+ in insurance coverage for injuring someone else (normal amount) and someone that didn't have insurance coverage (not an upstanding citizen) most likely wouldn't have anything worth pursuing in a lawsuit.

Hmmm ... just heard it was a targeted attack. She's been in a wheelchair for the last seven years, and she was the intended target.

So LE knows that Vicky was the intended target. They won't say how they know that though. It sounds like either they have a specific suspect in mind or else the package was clearly addressed to her. Hopefully it is the former and the perpetrator will be arrested soon! Who targets someone specifically with a bomb other than organized crime?

My deepest condolences to Vicky's family and friends, but most of all to her daughter.

Who targets someone specifically with a bomb other than organized crime?

ITA Snoopster ... sounds to me like a hired hit, whether a vendetta against Vicki personally, or a warning or retaliation to someone close to her. Maybe that idea will change if/as more information comes to light.

I just don't see some geeky kid in Innisfail sitting in his room, putting together such a successful device against such a specific individual, unless we're talking Einstein's evil twin.

Any chance she reported a crime, or she or a member of her family was set to testify in court?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okaydandy
Back