VA VA - Great Falls, WhtMale 30-45, UP6483, Saw Cuts, Jun'74

Irish_Eyes

Reaction score
https://identifyus.org/cases/6483

White Male located in Great Falls, Fairfax County, VA in June of 1974

The skeletal remains were found in a wooded area south of Beach Mill Road, approximately 1 mile east of Seneca Road.

Blonde to reddish-blonde hair, unknown eye color. Age 30-45

Estimated Height of 5'9", no weight estimate.

NamUs #MP13082

Hair: Blond/strawberry
Height: 5'8"-5'10"
Last contact: May 1, 1965, Tiptonville, TN

What interests me most about this possible match is that the MP, Mr. Charles Samples, liked to ride freight trains as his primary mode of transportation. The UID was found in Great Falls, VA, and the RR ran within about 10 miles of the location where he was found. The RR was abandoned c. 1967, so possibly Mr. Samples made his way to Virginia and either decided to stay in the area or had difficulty finding a way back home by rail. Mr. Samples (MP) is not listed as an exclusion on NamUs.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) - new link for UID.
1 image, 0 comparisons.

I think you might be on to something.:) Big age difference in pics but there's no clue as to when Mr. Samples' military pic was taken. Perhaps someone will come along with their sleuthing results. ;)

If I read it correctly this is on the frame - Ray V. Davis - Carlsbad, N.M. I assume he's the photographer or or works for a photo company. He may have been a military photographer at one time.

Original
Original

O/T but related. :)

The History of the Carlsbad Caverns

White began exploring the cave, which was near his home, as early as age 15 with little more than a ladder. Though he would come back with tales of vast underground wilderness, many of the people who he told these stories to did not believe him. The idea of huge underground rooms and corridors were just too much for many people to fathom.

It was not until 1915, when a photographer, Ray V. Davis, displayed images of the cavern in the town of Carlsbad. Davis took the pictures during a trip guided by White. Many of the cavern rooms were named by White and are still used today.

NamUs #MP13082

Hair: Blond/strawberry
Height: 5'8"-5'10"
Last contact: May 1, 1965, Tiptonville, TN

What interests me most about this possible match is that the MP, Mr. Charles Samples, liked to ride freight trains as his primary mode of transportation. The UID was found in Great Falls, VA, and the RR ran within about 10 miles of the location where he was found. The RR was abandoned c. 1967, so possibly Mr. Samples made his way to Virginia and either decided to stay in the area or had difficulty finding a way back home by rail. Mr. Samples (MP) is not listed as an exclusion on NamUs.

I forgot to reply to your post above.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) - new link for UID.
1 image, 0 comparisons.

I think you might be on to something.:) Big age difference in pics but there's no clue as to when Mr. Samples' military pic was taken. Perhaps someone will come along with their sleuthing results. ;)

If I read it correctly this is on the frame - Ray V. Davis - Carlsbad, N.M. I assume he's the photographer or or works for a photo company. He may have been a military photographer at one time.

Original
Original

White began exploring the cave, which was near his home, as early as age 15 with little more than a ladder. Though he would come back with tales of vast underground wilderness, many of the people who he told these stories to did not believe him. The idea of huge underground rooms and corridors were just too much for many people to fathom.

It was not until 1915, when a photographer, Ray V. Davis, displayed images of the cavern in the town of Carlsbad. Davis took the pictures during a trip guided by White. Many of the cavern rooms were named by White and are still used today.
I had a similar thought about the pictures, but if the remains were skeletonized and there wasn't much hair present, the forensic artist may have assumed the person was bald. I would love to see a more modern forensic representation of the UID's remains.

1 image, 0 comparisons.

Original
Original

Cannon Air Force Base, established 1942, is located about 180 mi from Carlsbad, NM, and that is definitely an Air Force patch on his left arm.

I just submitted this possible match to NamUs, so here's hoping. (I wonder if the people at NamUs think we "helpful" citizens are a little bit crazy. lol)

I have a degree in Media Arts, but I've never taken any workshops or courses related to age progression, so this is just based on some online tutorials. Age progression for Charles Samples.

@YaYa_521 Can you put this side by side with the forensic artist's pic of the UID?

Attachments

• Charles Samples - test.jpg
    Charles Samples - test.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 13
Cannon Air Force Base, established 1942, is located about 180 mi from Carlsbad, NM, and that is definitely an Air Force patch on his left arm.

I just submitted this possible match to NamUs, so here's hoping. (I wonder if the people at NamUs think we "helpful" citizens are a little bit crazy. lol)
I can't edit my previous post for whatever reason, so I am posting again to make a correction. The patch on his arm appears to be the Army Air Forces WWII patch, according to this site, which says it was "worn by most stateside personnel."

1 image, 0 comparisons.

Original
Original

I just had the idea to Google the name Ray V. Davis, the word "photographer," and "New Mexico." Lo and behold---National Geographic mentions a photographer named Ray V. Davis who photographed Carlsbad Caverns. The photo bearing his name was from 1924.

Given that Charles Samples was 37 when he went missing in 1965, his military photo is probably dated approximately 1945 or 1946 (when he would have been about 18, which I think fits with the image).

I wonder if the UID's sketch is accurate in depicting his nose slanted as if it has been broken in the past, or if that's just a not-very-good sketch.
Good question. The whole face appears "skewed" to one side.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back