New Translation For Catholic Mass

BetteDavisEyes

Fasten your seatbelts...
Reaction score
Last Updated: November 27. 2011 3:47PM.

New Mass translation launches in American parishes

Tom Breen/ Associated Press

Clayton, N.C.— English-speaking Roman Catholics who have regularly attended Mass for years found themselves in an unfamiliar position Sunday, needing printed cards or sheets of paper to follow along with a ritual many have known since childhood.

"I don't think I said it the right way once," said Matthew Hoover, who attends St. Ann Catholic Church in Clayton, a growing town on the edge of the Raleigh suburbs. "I kept forgetting, and saying the old words."

The Mass itself — the central ritual of the Catholic faith — hasn't changed, but the English translation has, in the largest shakeup to the everyday faith of believers since the upheavals that followed the Second Vatican Council in the 1960s. A years-long process of revision and negotiation led to an updated version of the Roman Missal, the text of prayers and instructions for celebrating Mass, which originally was written in Latin. The new translation was rolled out across the English-speaking Catholic world on Sunday after months of preparation...

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20111127...n-launches-in-American-parishes#ixzz1ewnmpc1d

It went pretty smoothly at our church today. I have to say it was really nice. Since everyone was reading from the pamphlet, there was a lot more participation.

Our pastor did a great job the last few weeks explaining the changes and why they were being made. But it really isn't that big of a deal. The vast majority of the Mass is the same.

Last Updated: November 27. 2011 3:47PM.

New Mass translation launches in American parishes

Tom Breen/ Associated Press

Clayton, N.C.— English-speaking Roman Catholics who have regularly attended Mass for years found themselves in an unfamiliar position Sunday, needing printed cards or sheets of paper to follow along with a ritual many have known since childhood.

"I don't think I said it the right way once," said Matthew Hoover, who attends St. Ann Catholic Church in Clayton, a growing town on the edge of the Raleigh suburbs. "I kept forgetting, and saying the old words."

The Mass itself — the central ritual of the Catholic faith — hasn't changed, but the English translation has, in the largest shakeup to the everyday faith of believers since the upheavals that followed the Second Vatican Council in the 1960s. A years-long process of revision and negotiation led to an updated version of the Roman Missal, the text of prayers and instructions for celebrating Mass, which originally was written in Latin. The new translation was rolled out across the English-speaking Catholic world on Sunday after months of preparation...

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20111127...n-launches-in-American-parishes#ixzz1ewnmpc1d

It's too ingrained in my brain matter . I swear ,an MRI would actually show the words stamped in my brain. I will always need the paper and 20 years from now I will still refer to the "new" translation.

I too perfer the Mass to stay as is. Don't understand the need for the
change. I probably will always be stuck in the pattern of saying the
same thing as I usually do.

Goz

I have to say I was a little disgruntled about the changes, but after Sunday I realize it is not that big of a deal. There aren't that many and we were well prepared.

Also, as our deacon said in his homily, for the first time in 40 years, everyone in Mass is really paying attention to the words they are saying.

I don't know how they explained it in other churches, but ours did several weeks of prep and explained WHY the changes were being made. It all makes sense to me - and for those of you who miss the Latin, this is supposed to be a more accurate translation.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sneetchysneetches
Back