Say 'no' to cupcakes

Casshew

Former Member
Reaction score
Cupcakes became contraband at Meadowside elementary school, after Principal Robert Davis banned all celebratory sweets — a move that has made some parents sour. Health officials said Davis adopted a new policy of using games and crafts instead of baked goods to fete birthdays, holidays and special occasions, and praised it as a way to combat childhood obesity.

Parent Jack Fowler said no one should dictate what students can bring to school for special events. He said health and school officials have turned into the "fat police," in an attempt to rid schools of foods children enjoy.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2004-11-03-cupcakes-outlawed_x.htm

You want to get rid of obesity? Tell the schools to put PE back in their program...."Why can't Johnny run?"

Ghostwheel said:
You want to get rid of obesity? Tell the schools to put PE back in their program...."Why can't Johnny run?"
Amen to that! When I was in elementary school, we ALWAYS had cupcakes for birthdays, and candy for all of the holidays. You could count on one hand, the "fat" kids.

The reason the majority of us weren't fat was because we did have PE.
And after school and during summer breaks we would play outside instead of plopping our butts in front of the TV or computer to play video games. But then again, ATARI could only hold your attention for so long :D

It is so sad that PE is looked at as a waste of time and money during the school day. There is such a push for academic competitiveness, but none for physical competitiveness. You have third graders that know evey element in the periodic table, but couldn't run a relay race to save their life.

The way I remember gym class is that it was mainly changing clothes, standing to be counted, 15 min. of limited activity, and the obligatory shower to wash off all the "sweat".

Maybe activity periods are needed. 45 min. periods where the activity is walking in the park or around the bldg.

vicktor said:
The way I remember gym class is that it was mainly changing clothes, standing to be counted, 15 min. of limited activity, and the obligatory shower to wash off all the "sweat".

Maybe activity periods are needed. 45 min. periods where the activity is walking in the park or around the bldg.
That wasn't until Jr. High, though! Oh, how I remember counting the daisies in right field...

Didn't anyone else do the President's Physical Fitness award in elementary school? You know, 50 sit-ups, 1(count it-1) pull up, 14 pushups, the six minute run, 50 and 100 yard dash, all that stuff? We had relay races, jump rope, kick ball, Red Rover, dodge ball, octopus tag, square dancing, etc. Four square was taught, not faked (looks more like jungle ball these days). If it weren't for "wall ball" at recess (all 20 minutes of it), I don't think the kids would move at all.

Ghostwheel said:
That wasn't until Jr. High, though! Oh, how I remember counting the daisies in right field...

Didn't anyone else do the President's Physical Fitness award in elementary school? You know, 50 sit-ups, 1(count it-1) pull up, 14 pushups, the six minute run, 50 and 100 yard dash, all that stuff? We had relay races, jump rope, kick ball, Red Rover, dodge ball, octopus tag, square dancing, etc. Four square was taught, not faked (looks more like jungle ball these days). If it weren't for "wall ball" at recess (all 20 minutes of it), I don't think the kids would move at all.
My son goes to a private school where they have PE everyday for 60 minutes. There are no showers in the school and they don't have to wear gym clothes. They don't do heavy physical sports where the kids sweat too much - mind you the school only goes up to Grade 6 but it encourages active living. I think it's great. They received an award for it from our Prime Minister.

Casshew said:
Cupcakes became contraband at Meadowside elementary school, after Principal Robert Davis banned all celebratory sweets — a move that has made some parents sour. Health officials said Davis adopted a new policy of using games and crafts instead of baked goods to fete birthdays, holidays and special occasions, and praised it as a way to combat childhood obesity. http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2004-11-03-cupcakes-outlawed_x.htm

I wonder if this principal checked out the food served in the school cafeteria? Most of the time a cupcake would have more nutritional value. The food is canned or otherwise processed, and often various fast food restaurant fare is brought in.
I know school cafeteria food has always been the butt of jokes, but now it's deserving. I can recall waay back when I was in school, we were actually served vegetables! You could smell the bread baking in the hallways.
I think it's atrocious what we're feeding the kids today.

Yeah, I cannot believe they call chicken nuggets and shrimp poppers part of a "well-balanced" meal. The sodium content alone is unbelievable.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back