Woman dies from using tap water in a neti pot to irrigate her sinuses.

momtective

Lifetime WS Non-Mod
Reaction score
Louisiana woman dies from rare infection

DESOTO PARISH, LA (WAFB) -

A DeSoto Parish woman has died of a rare, brain-eating ameba.

The Department of Health and Hospitals says the 51-year-old woman was infected by the deadly ameba, Naegleria fowleri, after using tap water in a neti pot to irrigate her sinuses.

A neti pot is commonly used to irrigate sinuses and looks like a genie's lamp.

http://www.ksla.com/story/16202318/louisiana-woman-dies-of-rare-infection

This article scared the youknowwhat out of me :eek:
I don't use a neti pot but I do use a sinus irrigation bottle with the sea salt and regular tap water. I won't be doing that ever again. :eek:

IMO I don't understand why people do this. It's like waterboarding yourself!

I've done it many times (using tap water- I guess I won't be using tap water anymore unless I boil it). It helps with sinus issues.

Well Jaysus....I use one and my nostrils feel like I could snort an elephant eyeball after I use it...no lie!Works for me.

I'd like the mystery of Natalie Wood's death to be solved once and for all you sleuthers...so let's shake a leg.

I don't want to be known in my family as the woman that died from a Netti Pot accident.Damn!Just Damn!Help a sister out!

I am on borrowed time and it's Christmas time!!!

I've done it many times (using tap water- I guess I won't be using tap water anymore unless I boil it). It helps with sinus issues.

Warm tap water and sea salt here.

That was EXACTLY the analogy I used when I began to try it, Linda. But six months later (six months that included taking a specific antibiotic), I was finally cured of sinusitis that had plagued me for a decade.

But I need to research this amoeba and see if it can really survive salt, baking soda and baby shampoo...

Yep, you are advised to use distilled water. I am never too circumspect about that...but dayum, I will be now. I don't use it much as I did not see a great result and did not like getting that carp all over my face....maybe I should have stuck with it longer. I have a load of sinus issues. SERIOUS ISSUES.

Didn't we have a thread about this earlier this year? There was a man that died the same exact way from using a neti pot with tap. Or am I misremembering? (a word my grandfather would use :))

Yep, you are advised to use distilled water. I am never too circumspect about that...but dayum, I will be now. I don't use it much as I did not see a great result and did not like getting that carp all over my face....maybe I should have stuck with it longer. I have a load of sinus issues. SERIOUS ISSUES.

They sell this stuff in Rite Aid called "Simply Saline" in can the one with red letters. That works great and I never felt I like I was drowning!

Warm tap water and sea salt here.

Yes, of course you have to add salt. You can't just use water. I use the special salt pockets that come with the bottle (I use a special bottle instead of neti pot-the same thing but easier to use). But no more tap water.

All I know is I was using mine weekly for a couple of months for unfreaking believable sinusitis. I was in so much pain I researched just about everything you can put in those things with water to help clear you up, vinegar(don't ever do that...set my every nerve in my body on fire), hydrogen peroxide (very minute amount added to the salt water and I honestly thought I'd just killed myself...just don't do it!) In all my google searches I can't remember reading DO NOT use tap water.

All I know is I was using mine weekly for a couple of months for unfreaking believable sinusitis. I was in so much pain I researched just about everything you can put in those things with water to help clear you up, vinegar(don't ever do that...set my every nerve in my body on fire), hydrogen peroxide (very minute amount added to the salt water and I honestly thought I'd just killed myself...just don't so it!) In all my google searches I can't remember reading DO NOT use tap water.

I have "postnasal drip" so I have been using these things for years. It does say on the bottle to use distilled water or previously boiled water but I just always used tap water. No more.

That was EXACTLY the analogy I used when I began to try it, Linda. But six months later (six months that included taking a specific antibiotic), I was finally cured of sinusitis that had plagued me for a decade.

But I need to research this amoeba and see if it can really survive salt, baking soda and baby shampoo...

Baby shampoo? Okay I don't feel so bad about the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. Bet that burned like a son of a gun too. :giggle:

My daughter swears by neti pots. She uses one for chronic allergies. I made sure to tell her about this though and to not use tap water, just to be on the safe side.

Well consider the gallons of snot my sons allergies produce along with the ear infections and hearing/speech impairments and you might change your opinion. It's truly grossly awe inspiring to watch the thick strands of mucus flow out a nostril. It doesn't hurt and you can still breath just fine.

Is everyone really considering giving up using TAP water just because a couple people out of millions got some very rare infection? You'd be safer if you quit walking :crazy:

Well consider the gallons of snot my sons allergies produce along with the ear infections and hearing/speech impairments and you might change your opinion. It's truly grossly awe inspiring to watch the thick strands of mucus flow out a nostril. It doesn't hurt and you can still breath just fine.

Is everyone really considering giving up using TAP water just because a couple people out of millions got some very rare infection? You'd be safer if you quit walking :crazy:

I certainly am not going to use tap water, especially considering it says to use distilled water or previously boiled water.

I just started doing it. It is not too bad. It goes in one nostril and up through the bridge and out the other. Mildly uncomfortable when you can feel it going down your throat.

I have never used tap water because tap water contains chlorine and that stings when it gets up into your sinus cavities.

But I imagine that distilled water can have bacteria as well. It can grow in the container even if distilled, once it is opened.

And I'm surprised tap water had a disease like that in it because it usually has chlorine to disinfect it.

I bet she just didn't wash her nedi pot after use very well. Anyhow, I will be boiling what I stick up my nose from now on, just in case.

Wow! We drink water from the tap, be it from your own sink or bottled. I don't do bottled as it sits there growing stuff too.

I am certain this box DD sent for Christmas is a neti pot. We talked about them earlier, and I am a severe allergy sufferer. She uses one, her DH does, and now one of her babies is a severe allergy sufferer. I'm hoping the baby will outgrow them.

So, the conclusion is boil the water? I know mom told me they always did that when they traveled, Dad was in the Navy. Will that make it okay? The be sure to wash pot with soap and warm water, maybe a vinegar and then water rinse?

They are only talking about giving up putting inboiled tap water up their noses, not drinking it. (Though many people choose not to drink tap water, already.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back