Cannibalism witnessed in Polar Bears

Quiche

Reaction score
Polar Bear Eats Cub: Cannibalism May Be on the Rise
(graphic photos)

Cannibalism is not a part of polar bears' M.O. The animals normally refrain from feasting on their own kind.

But desperate times apparently call for quite disturbing measures. Just ask photojournalist Jenny E. Ross.

more at link http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...136428.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003#s530500

:(

I hope some conservation is possible here, the animals are clearly exerting dominance due to limited food. Hmmmm, I wonder if they'd consume something dropped from a helicopter? I'd hate to see these creatures disappear-- though clearly, if it's a long term problem, they'll have to adapt or perish (probably move south and alter their mainstay diet). jmo

I agree quiche, this is not part of normal behavior for Polar Bears. I fear for them, they are suffering the effects of our short sightedness.

and o/t its good to see you, seems like forever since I bumped into you :)

I agree quiche, this is not part of normal behavior for Polar Bears. I fear for them, they are suffering the effects of our short sightedness.

and o/t its good to see you, seems like forever since I bumped into you :)

I don't think so. I think what happened is male bears will kill and eat cubs that aren't theirs.

http://tarpon.wordpress.com/2011/12/08/polat-bears-eat-their-cubs/

Like most bears, male polar bears will often kill cubs, so they can mate with the mama polar bears. And, because they are simply mean SOB’s.
Even if that were the case, instead of anecdotal, that doesn’t prove that the loss of sea ice is caused by man induced global warming. Oh, and the picture was taken in July 2010……you know, during the summer, when sea ice is at its lowest every year.
Ross then goes on to speculate that globull warming is causing the bears to seek out other food stuffs, and doesn’t bother mentioning that in the animal kingdom, males often kill cubs, thereby leaving the mother with no offspring and ready to mate again.

Adult male bears occasionally kill and eat polar bear cubs, for reasons that are unclear.

Polar bear - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have heard and read that mature male polar bears will kill cubs not their own, but eating them is not a behavior I have seen or heard associated with polar bears in the past.

The killing of cubs not their own is a dominance behavior and is tied to eliminating competition for resources, food, females, etc. and not to hunger.

Well-- not to get into a global warming argument, but it's been proven time and again that the earth goes through environmental cycles that eventually, over time, redistribute the most desirable latitudes for man and beast.

Some geologic findings even suggest this can/does happen quickly in the event of a natural disaster (volcanic, meteoric, etc.). Point is, it does happen-- warming, cooling, changing, all of them.

What's new is that we're aware of it in this day and age-- we see the suffering, the diminishment of plant, animal, and sea life and understand the implications of their demise in nature. Plus, there are things we can do to help, and why not? We certainly have no compunction about crowding them out of their territories. It's a new day, imo-- and I think we'll help if we can. We've brought a number of species back from the brink of extinction-- Bald Eagles, Peregrine Falcons, Wolves and Grizzlies (in the lower 48), Pandas, Siberian Tigers... I could go on.

So, the question for me is: If the Polar Bears are starving due to a decrease in sea ice, what can we do to ensure their survival? The consumption of one's own species is a sign of starvation and desperation, imo.

tlcox :seeya:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lefer
Back