Ramsey's vs. Fox News? any updates?

twizzler333

Inactive
Reaction score
Does anyone know how this is going? Wasn't this starting today (Monday 11/8)? Sure wish Court TV would run some updates on this case.

Not certain, but I heard something about a stay, and nothing will move forward until December. Usually Acandyrose updates this sort of thing..will go look.

GERMANTOWN, Maryland (AP) -- The world's largest private DNA testing firm has fired an analyst for allegedly falsifying test data.

Officials with Orchid Cellmark -- with labs in Maryland, Texas, Tennessee and Britain -- said the alleged falsification occurred in 20 tests for the Los Angeles Police Department and the FBI.

The alleged tampering prompted the Los Angeles County public defender's office to begin reviewing all pending cases involving Cellmark. Sandi Gibbons, a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles County district attorney's office, said that the cases involving the analyst have not gone to trial.

"Cellmark isolated the problem very quickly, they moved on it very quickly," she said. "We don't believe that any cases are going to be ultimately affected by this because all of the cases are being re-analyzed."

A spokeswoman for the FBI lab at Quantico, Virginia., refused to comment on the matter. Charlotte Word, the laboratory director for Cellmark in Germantown, also would not comment.

But in a letter sent to the LAPD in September that was obtained by The (Baltimore) Sun, a Cellmark official disclosed that the company had fired analyst Sarah Blair for "professional misconduct."

Blair, in a telephone interview Wednesday with The Sun, denied the allegations. "I explained everything to the company when I left," said Blair. "I'm still sticking to the same story that I'm innocent."

Cellmark has analyzed evidence in several high-profile cases, including those involving O.J. Simpson, JonBenet Ramsey, the Unabomber and the Green River killer. Police departments throughout the world have used the lab's services.

Well, well, well....isn't that just so interesting~~~~!!!! Makes you wonder, doesn't it? hmmmmmm :waitasec:

Now watch, Sissi, this will NOW become an absolutely positive DNA case to some on this board, whereas before it had nothing to do with the DNA because the DNA did NOT link the Ramsey's!

It will be interesting to see how this comes about. There were many, many people who had DNA tested besides the Ramsey's, wonder if any of them are shaking in their "hi-tec" boots now! ;) (and I don't mean Burke either)

twizzler333 said:
There were many, many people who had DNA tested besides the Ramsey's, wonder if any of them are shaking in their "hi-tec" boots now! ;) (and I don't mean Burke either)

Twizzler,

Unless the authorities are lying directly into the faces of the public, the DNA of all three Ramseys -- John, Patsy, and Burke -- does not match the DNA in the panties. IMO there is a lot of evidence that points to a fifth person in the house that night, and I hope CellMark's re-testing of the DNA samples in the Ramsey case turns up something.

Not that it would clear the Ramseys, because they are lying, refusing to cooperate with the investigation, and covering up for a reason. The fifth person in the house that night could be the killer, but he had to have been secretly let into the house by a Ramsey or he was a guest of the Ramseys.

JMO

Orchid Cellmark has conducted DNA analyses for the LAPD and the Los Angeles District Attorney for 15 years, and the admissibility of its DNA testing evidence has been affirmed in several California appellate decisions. Orchid Cellmark has performed DNA testing in a number of notable California cases, including the recent conviction of David Westerfield in the Danielle Van Dam murder case in San Diego. Orchid Cellmark provides similar services to hundreds of police departments and criminal justice agencies nationwide.

IMO this is good reason to reconsider the death penalty. Could a person who "just knows" (like Steve Thomas) a person is guilty now create a dna profile for court? scary!!!
Cellmark isn't telling all, I do believe in the next few weeks weeks we will find out more.

computerized DNA testing
Computerized forensic analysis subject to flaws of lab workers

Md.-based DNA lab fires analyst over falsified tests
Ex-worker denies allegations; criminal cases are reviewed
Nov 18, 2004

By Laura Cadiz
Sun Staff
Originally published November 18, 2004, 9:38 PM EST
The alleged falsifying of DNA testing data by a former Montgomery County-based laboratory employee has exposed a vulnerability in computerized forensic analysis previously unknown to some experts, raising questions about the reliability of the most widely used and trusted method of testing.
The ex-Orchid Cellmark employee electronically manipulated the analysis in 20 tests, the company says. Though she did not alter the outcome of the tests, she overrode procedures designed to ensure the accuracy of the tests by substituting data in the known specimen, or control samples, according to Cellmark.

"I have not heard of anything like this before," said Lawrence Kobilinsky, an associate provost at John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York.

Analyzing DNA through computer software emerged in the mid-1990s and has become the most trusted and reliable method of forensic analysis, Kobilinsky said: "I would find it surprising if anyone has ever done this or if anything like this has been discovered before."

article...http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/health/bal-dna1118,1,3246728.story?coll=bal-home-headlines

The lab has analyzed evidence in a number of high-profile cases, including those involving O.J. Simpson, JonBenet Ramsey, the Unabomber, Danielle Van Dam and the Green River killer. Police departments throughout the world - including New York, Chicago, Phoenix, Houston and London's Scotland Yard - have used the lab's services.

Despite its impressive history, Cellmark's credibility has been called into question before. In 2001, a faulty DNA test conducted by the lab incorrectly determined that a British man was not the father of his 14-month- old daughter.

In a San Diego sexual assault case, the lab apparently switched sample labels for the victim and the suspect. This led Cellmark to incorrectly determine that the suspect's DNA was found on the victim. The error was discovered during the 1995 trial.

Blair's firing comes after a number of problems have been reported at DNA labs throughout the country this year.

The Cellmark incident "is one of many things that have come to light in the past year or so that ... should make everyone stop and think about how these labs are operating and what exactly is going on in some of these crime labs," said Friedman, of the Los Angeles County public defender's office.

Although Blair's work apparently did not involve Maryland cases, local defense attorneys say the errors are troubling.

"DNA is considered the gold standard for scientific testing these days," said Beth Farber, an assistant federal public defender. "Anybody that's doing DNA testing involved with law enforcement who is not producing accurate results clearly infects the credibility of the whole system."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back